Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Stoops and Winning Immediately

Gather 'round young 'uns for a little Oklahoma football history hawt talk ( @RaceBannon can fill you in on the Bud Wilkinson era.)

Many of you may have a passing familiarity with the Switzer era and his famous wishbone offense since UW upset one of their better teams in the 1985 Orange Bowl (they would go on to win the 1985 National Championship with a win in the 1986 Orange Bowl.)

However after the NCAA lowered the boom on Oklahoma and Switzer resigned Oklahoma went on a prolonged downswing giving way to Colorado and then Nebraska as regional powers in the Big 8 and early Big 12.

When Stoops took over in '99 he was the fifth head coach in twelve years. Oklahoma had not won the Big 8 (or Big 12) since 1987 and had not won a major bowl game since 1986. The previous three coaches totaled just one game over .500 in conference.

Stoops won the BCS National Championship in Year Two.

Also, fun fact, Oklahoma plays on Owen Field.

Comments

• Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,171
    MelloDawg said:

I agree he’s the alpha choice here, but opposing fans will laugh at threads like this when we hire Kalani Sitake

Like, Stoops as a hypothetical candidate/pipe dream for this opening aside, in 2007 everyone knew the list of coaches who proved that the right coaches win right away and Stooops exemplifies that.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,616 Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

I agree he’s the alpha choice here, but opposing fans will laugh at threads like this when we hire Kalani Sitake

Sitake isn't leaving BYU
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    MelloDawg said:

Yeah, probably. But Stoops coming here would surprise me less than when we hired Pete.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,131
    Kim Grinolds
    STAFF

I mentioned this earlier. The Oklahoma version of Stoops would be awesome. But I think the current version of Bob Stoops would be the equivalent version of Dennis Erikson at ASU.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,540 Standard Supporter
    MelloDawg said:

Brown Wilcox.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,540 Standard Supporter
    gmo said:

MelloDawg said:

what is with all the "Ducks fans and Cougs fans are seeing this"... "opposing fans are laughing" posts lately?

No offense but it's a beta question. Who gives a flying fuck what others think. We should be aiming high and hoping for the best guy possible, whether it happens or not. Everyone else can eat a bag of dicks.
    Remember the reaction when Oregon was trying to get Few/Self/Izzo before they landed on Altman? That's why. Now the shoe is on the other foot and those goalposts are nowhere near where they used to be.