Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What I'm hearing

124»

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Fishpo31 said:

Since this has become a WIAA classification thread, I would just like to ask if anyone knows how that actually works anymore. It can’t be just based off of enrollment like it used to be. There are shitty public schools with like 1500 kids that play in AA now while Catholic schools with half as many students play in AAA.
    To my knowledge AAAA is still based on enrollment. But it seems like the lower divisions are almost on a relegation system now.

At one time, schools could opt up, or down. When I was doing the HS thing, we would meet with the AD before reclassification and vote on it. We were AAA enrollment, but close enough to choose. Don't know if it's the same now...we always opted up.
    Can't opt down, can opt up. A rule went in place a couple years ago that modifies headcount downward based on number of free/reduced lunches at a high school, can't remember the discount multiple. I guess you could think of that as an option to opt-down, but it is based on something. I'm guessing that's why Monroe was 3A this year, cuz that school is huge.

If you're talking about O'Dea re "half as many students," I think they are counted 2x because of boys-only enrollment.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,687
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tumwater was a good double A program

Not triple A like Olympia but good

#MyTBirds won state their first year jumping up to AAA.

Lost to the only AA team we played that year.
    Just sayin'
    Cheers--

Olympia was probably 4 A by then

Aberdeen was our rival in the legendary Southwest League

Close - that was fall '93 and the state didn't switch to calling it 4A until 1996.
    Confusingly, what was AAA became 4A, AA became 3A.
    They added a new 2A I assume from the bottom end of the old AA enrollment size.

Tumwater won the top classification, and Capital lost in the semis of the second highest classification, which was sweet too.

In 1997 they split the district when Black Hills opened, and THS dropped back down to 3A. A decade later they re-re-did classifications again and THS and co dropped to 2A.
    I know, CSB. I'll just go fuck myself.
    Cheers--
    Way past my time

I know Tumwater was a great program. And the Ottens. And Brad in 1995 at Husky Stadium.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,886
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    We went up to AAA in 1995 or something. Suddenly we played all these Kitsap teams like Olympic instead of Metrosexual schools. It was odd.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    To relate the prep gridiron hawt talk to the current shituation, I just hope we? get someone with experience coaching at the highest level in a football state.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,583
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Just sayin'
    Cheers--

Close - that was fall '93 and the state didn't switch to calling it 4A until 1996.

Tumwater won the top classification, and Capital lost in the semis of the second highest classification, which was sweet too.

In 1997 they split the district when Black Hills opened, and THS dropped back down to 3A. A decade later they re-re-did classifications again and THS and co dropped to 2A.
    Cheers--
    Way past my time

I know Tumwater was a great program. And the Ottens. And Brad in 1995 at Husky Stadium.
    2A is the "best" football classification in Warshington, in a sense. Schools big enough to fill out varsity, JV and freshman teams, and communities small enough that football is a centerpiece. It's also got a couple of the most consistent powers, Lynden, Tumwater, Prosser, places like that.
    This is a great take. Arlington and Marysville being in 3A feels like a punishment. Get to the tournament and know you will have to play a private school at some point and your season is essentially over.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,603
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Just sayin'
    Cheers--

Cheers--
    Way past my time

2A is the "best" football classification in Warshington, in a sense. Schools big enough to fill out varsity, JV and freshman teams, and communities small enough that football is a centerpiece. It's also got a couple of the most consistent powers, Lynden, Tumwater, Prosser, places like that.
    This is a great take. Arlington and Marysville being in 3A feels like a punishment. Get to the tournament and know you will have to play a private school at some point and your season is essentially over.
    Arlington and Marysville wouldnt win state in 2A

Excuses
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Just sayin'
    Cheers--

Cheers--
    Way past my time

The WESCO 3A bracket draws are almost always wretched. It's too bad, because WESCO probably has the best westside 3A community support, just not the quality of play to get far in playoffs in last decade or two.

2A has the perennials, and then a revolving group like Hockinson, Pullman, Sedro, Othello, etc. that rise up to make the classification more competitive at the state round o' 16 level.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Wesco football is garbage outside of Lake Stevens. This is cringe
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Read again, for comprehension.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,933
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,933
    Mooser42 said:

Fishpo31 said:

Jesus Christ - GTFO with that Boise State shit.

It's fucking BOISE STATE. Bring in Houston Nutt and dig up Pokey Allen's corpse just to seal the deal.

Chin for Pokey Allen reference...had a few drunken episodes with him back in the...
    I grew up in Boise and had season tickets to boise state when pokey was there. What a legend
    Dude was a classic. Bobby Dye as hoop coach was awesome, too, in a different way.

• Options
    DoogmanRefundDoogmanRefund Member Posts: 761
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary

Fishpo31 said:

Since this has become a WIAA classification thread, I would just like to ask if anyone knows how that actually works anymore. It can’t be just based off of enrollment like it used to be. There are shitty public schools with like 1500 kids that play in AA now while Catholic schools with half as many students play in AAA.
    To my knowledge AAAA is still based on enrollment. But it seems like the lower divisions are almost on a relegation system now.

At one time, schools could opt up, or down. When I was doing the HS thing, we would meet with the AD before reclassification and vote on it. We were AAA enrollment, but close enough to choose. Don't know if it's the same now...we always opted up.
    Can't opt down, can opt up. A rule went in place a couple years ago that modifies headcount downward based on number of free/reduced lunches at a high school, can't remember the discount multiple. I guess you could think of that as an option to opt-down, but it is based on something. I'm guessing that's why Monroe was 3A this year, cuz that school is huge.

If you're talking about O'Dea re "half as many students," I think they are counted 2x because of boys-only enrollment.
    Kennedy shares a neighborhood and stadium with Highline. Kennedy has 750 co-Ed students and competes at AAA. Highline has 1250 and competes in AA. Rainier Beach has the same number of students as Kennedy and also competes at AAA, despite having a much stronger sports program than Highline I would imagine they have similar numbers of free lunch recipients or whatever allows you to count fewer kids for sports.

Seems like you sort of get to play at whatever level you want.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2021

I didn’t even read I just saw WESCO and made an assumption
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I didn’t even read I just saw WESCO and made an assumption
    It’s something you like to do.
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I grew up in Orange County. Big time USC boosters are saying Pete Carrol is done with the Seahawks and headed to Montlake.

this would be great for UW and Seahawks. I wish.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,984
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Fishpo31 said:

Kennedy shares a neighborhood and stadium with Highline. Kennedy has 750 co-Ed students and competes at AAA. Highline has 1250 and competes in AA. Rainier Beach has the same number of students as Kennedy and also competes at AAA, despite having a much stronger sports program than Highline I would imagine they have similar numbers of free lunch recipients or whatever allows you to count fewer kids for sports.

Seems like you sort of get to play at whatever level you want.
    #MyLancers have been trying to put a stadium on campus for about 5 years now but the neighboring homeowners are fighting it. At one time, at least 4 schools used Highline Stadium between Highline, Evergreen, #MyLancers, and Tyee.