Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

A Texans Draft Lesson

Comments

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    That specific draft was when I learned that all the draft analysis is fucking worthless. The grades, Mel Kiper crying about a team reaching, it's all bullshit. Bobby Wagner was a huge reach.

I still like watching the draft but it's funny when people get all bent out of shape.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

That specific draft was when I learned that all the draft analysis is fucking worthless. The grades, Mel Kiper crying about a team reaching, it's all bullshit. Bobby Wagner was a huge reach.

I still like watching the draft but it's funny when people get all bent out of shape.

I was one of them. I thought passing on Bush was FS. Thought he was a surefire HOF'er. Williams was going to be good, but no Reggie Bush.

The lesson, as always, I'm an idiot.

• Options
    dnc said:

I was one of them. I thought passing on Bush was FS. Thought he was a surefire HOF'er. Williams was going to be good, but no Reggie Bush.

See, I liked the Williams pick. But to be fair I also thought Lendale White was going to be great. I even wrote The Sporting News a letter that they published about how great he was going to be. The lesson is that it's a crap shoot.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

See, I liked the Williams pick. But to be fair I also thought Lendale White was going to be great. I even wrote The Sporting News a letter that they published about how great he was going to be. The lesson is that it's a crap shoot.
    I'm not sure it's a crap shoot. I am sure the "experts" that we hear from aren't experts at all.

It does seem that FO's have a real skill for the draft, whereas others do not.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,182
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I thought Leaf was going to be better than Manning.....I thought he was a better athlete and that would translate to a better pro.

Oops
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    Founders Club
    I didn't know anything about Williams, but at the time I thought using the #1 pick on Reggie Bush would be a dumb move. I did not think he was worth even a top 10 pick. He was one of the most sensational athletes in college, but I thought his small size and relative lack of strength would hinder him in the NFL. His career has been exactly what I thought it would be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Doogles said:

Reggie Bush: 1st team all-time Almost Husky team.

Lorenzo Booker was the first FREE PUB! recruit for even considering UW at all. Bush was the second one.
  • Options

Doogles said:

Lorenzo Booker was the first FREE PUB! recruit for even considering UW at all. Bush was the second one.
    We were going to be the Florida State of the west.
  • Options

Doogles said:

We were going to be the Florida State of the west.
    Won the Rose Bowl then Slick Rick brought in the #3 ranked class in the nation. If someone had told me in three years UW would go 1-10 I would have thought that was literally not even possible.

Crazy how quickly everything went to shit.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

I put Bush as the first teamer because he actually lived up to the hype... Didn't booker sort of semi suck? Definitely not the best running back in the country like he was billed to be.
  • Options

Anytime a team fills a need and picks the guy were Kiper projected him to go, they get an A. Anytime a team picks the best player available when they have needs or picks a guy higher than his projection, they get a D or F. It's all shit. I remember experts giving the Browns an A for trading a future first round pick and a 2 to pick Brady Quinn at 22. They talked about what a great value it was to get a franchise QB late in the first round.

Kiper killed the Hawks for not taking Jimmy Clausen in the first round with either the 6th or 14th pick because he projected the Hawks taking them at #6.

No I would rather have Russell Okung and Earl Thomas thank you very much dumb fuck.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I have learned that if you want to build a Super Bowl contender then look at Mel Kiper's big board and avoid every player on it.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,501
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I don't think anyone believes Kiper has anything substantial to add to the draft. His role is essentially the same as Skip Bayless, he brings controversy to the draft which gets viewers fired up when he says a team made a bad pick.

Bayless trolls Richard Sherman hard, el oh el

Seahawks fans lap that shit up

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    HuskyJW said:

I thought Leaf was going to be better than Manning.....I thought he was a better athlete and that would translate to a better pro.

Oops

Leaf really could sling the 'ol pill.
  • Options

I don't think anyone believes Kiper has anything substantial to add to the draft. His role is essentially the same as Skip Bayless, he brings controversy to the draft which gets viewers fired up when he says a team made a bad pick.

Bayless trolls Richard Sherman hard, el oh el

Seahawks fans lap that shit up

Agree Bayless trolled 12's disagreed on Sherman though.

Sherman played his part which did him good too . He got to punk on the villian(bayless ) and became more of a household name.

Bet both were in on it.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bayless' job is to say outrageous shit to create arguments. Part of ESPN's embrace debate slogan they have for his show. I can't stand him. I've disliked him since he first started. He built up a reputation as a good writer but he doesn't know shit about sports. It's frustrating how little a lot of the media knows. Even the guys who are supposed to be guru's like Jaworski are idiots rating Flacco the #4 QB or saying Zach Mettenburger, a Derek Anderson clone is the #2 QB in the draft.