Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

hey doog's, I got a serious Q

sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
If Sark was *really* doing better recruiting as time passed at UW, shouldn't we be seeing a flood of NFL draft picks this year?

Checking Sark's wiki page as a guide, it seems he peaked in 2011 and 2012 at 6 each, 2013 fell to 3 and I don't see a lot of candidates for 2014.

Comments

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    I give Sark a little credit recruiting wise, it would be completely ignorant to say he didn't bring in some talent.

However, his ability to develop some of these players is absolutely PATHETIC and basically completely destroys any credit he gets recruiting.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    "Yawn." We have all talked about it many times that Sark inherited some pretty good talent. To be fair, this is only the second year Sark's recruits have had a chance to go pro. There will be a decent amount in the next few years. I don't think anyone would dispute that Sark brought in some pretty good players during his time. Despite his fuck ups, he did recruit better than his predecessors. The talent was pretty good last year and looks good this year.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,661
    Sark's a good recruiter (everyone says so!) in that he was above average at getting the players he really went after.

Sark's a shitty recruiter in that he was terrible at going after the players he really needed.

Abundance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    The problem is during this stretch Sark has produced only one OL who was drafted in the NFL and that was an OL he didn't recruit. There isn't one OL that you can say with certainty that will be drafted in the NFL.

That is where he failed. Five years of coaching= 1 OL drafted.

Five years of recruiting= possibly ZERO OL drafted. Pathetic!
    Tequilla said:

Sark's biggest faults as a recruiter (in no particular order):

1) Terrible relationships in-state w/ both coaches and parents who both saw right through his Dude Brah

2) Belief in himself that he could out scheme his opposition and as such high quality OL recruiting was unnecessary

3) General player development was far behind other teams in the conference ... for example, how much better was Keith Price as a senior than he was as a sophomore?

It's almost like the longer he was here the worse he got...

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    You could see immediate improvement with Jake driven by the fact that he hadn't had really any QB coaching up until that point. But, you also saw a plateauing in Jake in 2010 as well.
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

1) Terrible relationships in-state w/ both coaches and parents who both saw right through his Dude Brah

2) Belief in himself that he could out scheme his opposition and as such high quality OL recruiting was unnecessary

3) General player development was far behind other teams in the conference ... for example, how much better was Keith Price as a senior than he was as a sophomore?

When RoadDawg and Boobs were arguing Price the other day then RoadDawg posted a link to 2010 I forgot how good Jesse Callier was.

Funny that in a podcast in 2010 Race Bannon(RIP) said that too. He was like "Look at Callier he looks really good, I can't wait until three years from now when Doogs are saying bench him! Put in new recruit X who is better".

Callier is just one of many examples of that.

Seriously sad that there is no OL who will be drafted among this group. How the fuck do you fail so badly on probably the second most important position group on the team and for sure on offense?

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

When RoadDawg and Boobs were arguing Price the other day then RoadDawg posted a link to 2010 I forgot how good Jesse Callier was.

Funny that in a podcast in 2010 Race Bannon(RIP) said that too. He was like "Look at Callier he looks really good, I can't wait until three years from now when Doogs are saying bench him! Put in new recruit X who is better".

Seriously sad that there is no OL who will be drafted among this group. How the fuck do you fail so badly on probably the second most important position group on the team and for sure on offense?
    Agreed on Callier. OTOH, people didn't really start writing him off until after the injury. And RB is probably the one position on the team that "the longer they're here the worse they get" hasn't really applied to (I suppose you could make an argument for corner as well).

I still think Callier might be in for a good year, if he can earn the reps.

• puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    He was recruiting to an 0-12 program dude
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Agreed on Callier. OTOH, people didn't really start writing him off until after the injury. And RB is probably the one position on the team that "the longer they're here the worse they get" hasn't really applied to (I suppose you could make an argument for corner as well).

I still think Callier might be in for a good year, if he can earn the reps.

My point is he played last year and show glimpses yet most have written him off including myself.

I just used him as an example since Race(RIP) predicted that would happen and it did. Hilarious how obvious the script is and still always right.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Why you wouldn't use Jake on rollouts and opportunities that gave him run/pass options is just FS coaching. I understand not wanting him to get destroyed with hits. But with how shitty the OL was, standing in the pocket was akin to making him play with one hand tied behind his back.

Tequilla said:

You could see immediate improvement with Jake driven by the fact that he hadn't had really any QB coaching up until that point. But, you also saw a plateauing in Jake in 2010 as well.

He also took away Jacks best weapon, his legs. Sark was more worried about Jacks draft slot for his Wikipedia page than actually winning games.
    I actually would take Jack as a freshman in 2007 over 2009 and 2010. He was most effective that year. He almost ran for a thousand yards with double digit TD's.

He was much more harder to game plan for and our offense wouldn't get shut down while it did a few times in 2010 since Jack isn't an accurate QB so very easy to game plan for a pocket QB who sucks at accuracy.
    Tequilla said:

Why you wouldn't use Jake on rollouts and opportunities that gave him run/pass options is just FS coaching. I understand not wanting him to get destroyed with hits. But with how shitty the OL was, standing in the pocket was akin to making him play with one hand tied behind his back.

I actually think the statistics showed Jack was more accurate outside the pocket than inside the pocket. His only good game of his senior year(vs USC) they had Jack running all over the place and using his legs. I was actually excited thinking Sark was finally going to unleash Jack but he never did after that.

He was recruiting to an 0-12 program dude

His highest ranked class was built mostly after 0-12(2010) class so that weak argument is bullshit.

But you are right we are the ones who belong on Doogman even though you just used another Doogman argument.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I will give Sark credit for his 2010 class. He did a great job recruiting off 0-12. 7 OL and pretty muched locked down the state except for Heaps. Getting ASJ, Kasen, Shelton, and Sankey in 2011 was great too. Which should make any Sark supporter ask the question, why did it get worse after that?