Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hardcore Husky Podcast: Wiping the Smirk off David Shaw's Face

2»

Comments

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,667
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

It was another ugly game, but Washington beat Stanford in the final minute to end a 14-year draught in Palo Alto. Derek, JoeEDangerously and WoolleyDoog talk about the emergence of Carson Bruener, the mysterious disappearance of Kamari Pleasant and how JoeEDangerously has put Jimmy Lake on probation. Also, a look ahead to this week's Oregon showdown on ABC. Shout outs this week go to Jimmy Cornell and Chest.

https://anchor.fm/hardcorehusky/episodes/Wiping-the-Smirk-off-David-Shaws-Face-e19j080

I listened to much of it. There was a section where somebody said Oregon's Athletic Department had influenced the Pac12's scheduling of the 2018 season which is how they got a bye week before playing us and how UW ended up with back to back road games ending in Eugene.

How much evidence is there that this really happened?

I seem to recall Pete was pretty salty about some of those scheduling issues and reading between the lines I think he was suggesting our AD should be doing more to prevent the shit.
    He was saying he’ll go to his grave thinking that. No evidence other than the structure of the schedule seems to favor Oregon every year
    I got no smoking gun. I realize I sound a bit like those Coug fans who thought Husky boosters bombed the clouds to make it snow in 2018 and ground Minshew Mustache Magic. I don't think the Pac-12 sat down with Phil Knight, Oregon's AD, and Q to make the schedule but I have a feeling Oregon lobbied a lot for scheduling that year. It was a big year for them and Crisco where they needed to step up and build momentum and getting major traps for Washington and Stanford that year.

Like most Oregon/Washington things, this is more on the Pac-12 and Washington than Oregon. A real Washington AD should have seen that on the schedule and said fuck no we're not doing that but I'm sure Cohen didn't even think about it. The Pac-12 also needs to be like we're not hanging one of our top programs and preseason favorites out to dry and giving an advantage to one program in a very important season for momentum for the rivalry.

Regardless, Petersen should have played for the TD in Eugene instead of putting it on a freshman kicker and this is a lot less of a problem.

Prepare yourself for a lot of spectrum here, but at the very least it shows how pathetic the Pac
    -12 was. You don't schedule a team coming off a road game, especially a longer one, and then give them another road game against a team coming off a bye, especially against their psychotically motivated rival. Especially not one of your only and best CFP candidates. Real football conferences don't do that.

The year before they also scheduled conference favorite USC at WSU six days after a previous road game against Cal and surprise, surprise, USC lost to an inferior Coug team.

Also, to be fair, in 2018 the week after the Husky game, the Ducks had to go to Pullman against a WSU team coming off a bye.

Long story short. The Pac-12 is special needs.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,667
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

It was another ugly game, but Washington beat Stanford in the final minute to end a 14-year draught in Palo Alto. Derek, JoeEDangerously and WoolleyDoog talk about the emergence of Carson Bruener, the mysterious disappearance of Kamari Pleasant and how JoeEDangerously has put Jimmy Lake on probation. Also, a look ahead to this week's Oregon showdown on ABC. Shout outs this week go to Jimmy Cornell and Chest.

https://anchor.fm/hardcorehusky/episodes/Wiping-the-Smirk-off-David-Shaws-Face-e19j080

I listened to much of it. There was a section where somebody said Oregon's Athletic Department had influenced the Pac12's scheduling of the 2018 season which is how they got a bye week before playing us and how UW ended up with back to back road games ending in Eugene.

How much evidence is there that this really happened?

I seem to recall Pete was pretty salty about some of those scheduling issues and reading between the lines I think he was suggesting our AD should be doing more to prevent the shit.
    He was saying he’ll go to his grave thinking that. No evidence other than the structure of the schedule seems to favor Oregon every year
    I got no smoking gun. I realize I sound a bit like those Coug fans who thought Husky boosters bombed the clouds to make it snow in 2018 and ground Minshew Mustache Magic. I don't think the Pac-12 sat down with Phil Knight, Oregon's AD, and Q to make the schedule but I have a feeling Oregon lobbied a lot for scheduling that year. It was a big year for them and Crisco where they needed to step up and build momentum and getting major traps for Washington and Stanford that year.

Like most Oregon/Washington things, this is more on the Pac-12 and Washington than Oregon. A real Washington AD should have seen that on the schedule and said fuck no we're not doing that but I'm sure Cohen didn't even think about it. The Pac-12 also needs to be like we're not hanging one of our top programs and preseason favorites out to dry and giving an advantage to one program in a very important season for momentum for the rivalry.

Regardless, Petersen should have played for the TD in Eugene instead of putting it on a freshman kicker and this is a lot less of a problem.

Prepare yourself for a lot of spectrum here, but at the very least it shows how pathetic the Pac
    -12 was. You don't schedule a team coming off a road game, especially a longer one, and then give them another road game against a team coming off a bye, especially against their psychotically motivated rival. Especially not one of your only and best CFP candidates. Real football conferences don't do that.

The year before they also scheduled conference favorite USC at WSU six days after a previous road game against Cal and surprise, surprise, USC lost to an inferior Coug team.

Also, to be fair, in 2018 the week after the Husky game, the Ducks had to go to Pullman against a WSU team coming off a bye.

Long story short. The Pac-12 is special needs.
    If you go back and look at the 70s and 80s, you'll see that USC usually came to Seattle in late November. But after several losses to Don James in the cold rain, suddenly those Seattle games were scheduled for September and early October. I always assumed the Pac10 intervened on behalf of USC
    Yeah, I've always believed that. It would be interesting to see how many times they came up to Seattle or Pullman in November from the 80s-2010s. The only time I've ever remembered them up in Washington in November is 2016. The Pac-12 seems to have no problem sending the Arizona schools up to Washington in November though.