Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Help us Ana Mari Cauce. You're our only Hope. (Derek Johnson article)

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,366 Founders Club
    I read it. I liked it.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,051 Founders Club
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,628 Standard Supporter
    She really is the place to focus our* attention. I'm hoping to get to my strongly worded letter this week.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,823 Founders Club
    Well done. Larsen seems like a rising star as an AD. He looks like a great funds raiser, has shown to financially support UW's two greatest sports, Football and Softball and has been on a number of national committees which is how you network and meet other AD's who you can make mutually beneficial schedules with in the future. I'm not as sold on the idea of hiring the NDSU head coach. Craig Bohl (3 straight titles at NDSU) has been solid the last five years but not great at Wyoming going 42-47 in his time there. Chris Kleiman (4 titles in 5 years at NDSU) is in his third year at K-State and has had some good wins but is 8-5, 4-6, and now 4-3 this season. Entz won a title in his first year, lost in the quarters his second and is 7-0 this year. I'd be for hiring Larsen in a second but I'm far from convinced that the NDSU blueprint for success translates to the next level.
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,592 Founders Club
    Good stuff. I don’t have any faith in her though.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,573 Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm leaving Hardcore Husky? Good to know! Thanks, Vanilla!
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346

I'm leaving Hardcore Husky? Good to know! Thanks, Vanilla!

That “feature” is annoying AF.
  • 79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 714 Swaye's Wigwam
    Nice job. He's a technically gifted writer.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Marginally technically gifted writing

Agreed with the balance of the article other than the political shots (distracting from the message … allows an out to tune out the article) and the coaching/AD choices (that’s for another time/place)
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,106 Founders Club

More than once in the last week or two I've seen you've admirably maintained the free speech policy here while criticizing a post for crossing a line and, in doing so, weakening the argument. I'm paraphrasing, but, "Calling the university president a dyke or the AD a fat bitch isn't the tone you want if you want your argument taken seriously."

This article seems like something you'd like to be taken seriously, so I'd follow your own advice and ditch the Trump/Warren stuff, even in reference to what others might think. It's possible to prioritize academics way above football (the horror!) without it being a political thing. It's also possible to be a leftist woman who's in charge of a football machine, and we'll have the proof if the new Ohio State president doesn't drive that program off a cliff.

I guess it begs the question whether or not the piece was meant to be taken seriously by the Pres of the UW or if it's more for fun.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,238
    I didn't think the political mentions were a problem. They seemed self-deprecating and intended to disarm Cauce.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,106 Founders Club

I didn't think the political mentions were a problem. They seemed self-deprecating and intended to disarm Cauce.

Hopefully, she does have a sense of humor were she to read it.
  • StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 535 Founders Club
    Overall good. But the “portrait mis-perceived” seems over wrought. Cauce at worst vaguely dislikes football, but definitely understands it’s an asset to a university. One of a hundred competing priorities, sadly.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,643 Founders Club

More than once in the last week or two I've seen you've admirably maintained the free speech policy here while criticizing a post for crossing a line and, in doing so, weakening the argument. I'm paraphrasing, but, "Calling the university president a dyke or the AD a fat bitch isn't the tone you want if you want your argument taken seriously."

This article seems like something you'd like to be taken seriously, so I'd follow your own advice and ditch the Trump/Warren stuff, even in reference to what others might think. It's possible to prioritize academics way above football (the horror!) without it being a political thing. It's also possible to be a leftist woman who's in charge of a football machine, and we'll have the proof if the new Ohio State president doesn't drive that program off a cliff.

Yes it's possible, but it's more likely than not that a leftist woman is not going to be a football fan. But I appreciate your sincere feedback.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,171

Yes it's possible, but it's more likely than not that a leftist woman is not going to be a football fan. But I appreciate your sincere feedback.
    What makes her a leftist? I haven't looked into her political background.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,051 Founders Club
    Mad_Son said:

She’s an academic?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,643 Founders Club
    Mad_Son said:

She has stated that her worldview was largely shaped by her late brother, who was a communist activist. He was reportedly killed by white supremacists 30-40 years ago. She has written that when the Charlottesville thing happened about four years ago, it shocked her and made her recommit even further to diversity and equity in our society.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,171

Mad_Son said:

She has stated that her worldview was largely shaped by her late brother, who was a communist activist. He was reportedly killed by white supremacists 30-40 years ago. She has written that when the Charlottesville thing happened about four years ago, it shocked her and made her recommit even further to diversity and equity in our society.
    I'm not sure that supporting diversity and equity makes you a leftist...