Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Shots fired

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,854
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/paul-mccartney-calls-the-rolling-stones-a-blues-cover-band-1241319/

And so there's no confusion on where the Throbber stands on this issue - the Beatles suck.

McCartney isn’t totally off the mark. He just used the wrong tense. The Stones “were” a blues cover band to start. The first 5 albums were almost entirely blues and R&B covers. They didn’t really hit their stride as songwriters till later in 1965, two years into their recording career.

The Beatles on the other hand had great original compositions from the get go, albeit with a some covers on albums 1, 2 and 4.

I’m still Stones > Beatles based on what the Stones did from 1968- 72, but still….

Shut hole, you ignorant Idaho hillbilly
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Paul is a faggot
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Paul is a faggot

Things John Would say.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2021

Stones suck.

I know they are your wheelhouse. Frankly, both of these bands are too early for me to care all that much. I don't care much for Mick, though. Of course, this is coming from a guy who loves David Lee Roth, so YMMV.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Stones suck.

I know they are your wheelhouse. Frankly, both of these bands are too early for me to care all that much. I don't care much for Mick, though. Of course, this is coming from a guy who loves David Lee Roth, so YMMV.
    You bias against pre 80s befuddles me. IFL love David Lee Roth era Van Halen as much as any guy here, but I love Elvis too.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Stones suck.

You bias against pre 80s befuddles me. IFL love David Lee Roth era Van Halen as much as any guy here, but I love Elvis too.
    For the record, VH is late-1970's. I am pretty hit and miss prior to the late-70's era. Hendrix and Zeppelin, yes. Beatles and Stones, no. Probably based upon the level of cranked up and distorted guitar.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Stones suck.

For the record, VH is late-1970's. I am pretty hit and miss prior to the late-70's era. Hendrix and Zeppelin, yes. Beatles and Stones, no. Probably based upon the level of cranked up and distorted guitar.
    Yes, of course. Like most people, I just think of them as an 80's band as that when they were are their commercial and artistic peak.

For me, as a rock music history nerd, I love studying the evolution of the genre and how things got from point A to point B. I mean you can't understand, VH with out understanding what Page was doing in the late 60s. And you can't understand Page, without understanding what the Stones were doing in 1964.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Stones suck.

Yes, of course. Like most people, I just think of them as an 80's band as that when they were are their commercial and artistic peak.

For me, as a rock music history nerd, I love studying the evolution of the genre and how things got from point A to point B. I mean you can't understand, VH with out understanding what Page was doing in the late 60s. And you can't understand Page, without understanding what the Stones were doing in 1964.
    I'm definitely no music historian. One of my two Dads is, and if I had paid attention to all the stuff he talked about over the years I would probably know a lot more than I do. "Art" in its various forms, and the meaning/history of it, is not my bag, baby.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,775
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/paul-mccartney-calls-the-rolling-stones-a-blues-cover-band-1241319/

And so there's no confusion on where the Throbber stands on this issue - the Beatles suck.

McCartney isn’t totally off the mark. He just used the wrong tense. The Stones “were” a blues cover band to start. The first 5 albums were almost entirely blues and R&B covers. They didn’t really hit their stride as songwriters till later in 1965, two years into their recording career.

The Beatles on the other hand had great original compositions from the get go, albeit with a some covers on albums 1, 2 and 4.

I’m still Stones > Beatles based on what the Stones did from 1968- 72, but still….

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rolling-stones-brown-sugar_n_6166c9d2e4b0fcd00f982c7e

Your favorite band is racist. So, therefore you are too.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rolling-stones-brown-sugar_n_6166c9d2e4b0fcd00f982c7e

Your favorite band is racist. So, therefore you are too.

#WhiteWakanda
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Longevity matters. Stones > Beatles.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The Beatles broke up when I was 9. I bought my first Stones record when I was 14. I didn't really begin to figure out (or truly enjoy) either until I was in my mid-20's. Just as the Beatles were splitting, the Stones were in their sweet spot (Bleed, Fingers, Exile). They turned me on to Chicago Blues, R & B, blue eyed soul, even country. I've wondered what 3 or 4 more Beatles albums would have sounded like, but the Stones put out solid albums into the early 80's.

"I don't have a racist bone in my body", and Brown Sugar fucking ROCKS...
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

So what's Paul looking to do here? Does he think he needs to tell everyone what The Rolling Stones were/are?

'Blues cover band' seems pretty harsh to me. I think Keith should go knock the piss out of Paul, frankly.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I love both bands.

Paul and any other Beatle would skull fuck Keith or any other rolling stone un a fight though. The Beatles were softer musically, but were ll blue collar kids who were no strangers to fighting. They became a band playing in rowdy joints in Hamburg, where fights on and off stage were commonplace. I remember reading one specific story about Paul and Stu Sutcliff getting into it on stage at a show. Paul best the shit out of him before they could be restrained.

The Stones gritty edge was manufactured. They were spoiled art school kids. Pussies.