Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Portal physics and other notes

2»

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,050 Founders Club
    whlinder said:

I'm not sure the portal, especially the wide open portal where you don't have to sit a year was a great idea. It's an anomaly in sports. It's not free agency. In free agency you sign contracts for given amounts of time and yes you can demand trades and such but only a very high level player can do that. Being able to leave one team one day and join another the next on your own accord creates a very strange dynamic for a sport in my opinion and I think every program is feeling it now and part of creating an odd, sloppy, indifferent product.

I watched the Penn State - Iowa game in its entirety due to PSU fandom via marriage. And since PSU still cares about football, which can be done. I've watched 0 minutes and 0 seconds of UW football this year. Anyway.

PSU moving the ball up and down the field. 2 TD lead. QB gets hurt. In comes backup. Offensive meltdown unlike I've ever seen. Can't snap the ball without false starts. Can't move the ball for shit. Sloppy as sloppy can be.
    Last year's backup PSU QB is now starting for Kentucky. Don't know Levis' final stat line but he had 3 TDs when Kentucky had 21 points.

I can't tell yet if the Portal is going to create more parity and interest, or consolidate talent and create more sloppy play at all the have-nots, but yesterday a team went from being really good to really shitty when one dude got hurt, and I was not entertained. /shrug
    I watched the UK game and Levis played well. He’s not the best passer but he reminds me a little of Jack Lockner. He had about a 40 yard run where he broke 3-4 tackles and carried the last LSU defender 5+ yards to set up a short TD.

I also watched PSU implode with their backup who reminded me of Uncle Rico with his throws.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,050 Founders Club
    Sources said:

Mad_Son said:

HFNY said:

Or it could go this way: Lake pulls a rabbit out of his ass and goes 7-5 which means the team vastly improves or he goes 4-8 or 5-7, gets canned, and a much better coach / coaching staff takes over so it's worth staying.

The worst is if he goes 6-6 because that's not enough improvement yet he probably wouldn't have his couch sold so more players transfer than in the other scenario.

I don't know why you're so optimistic that there is any number of losses that we get new coaches.
    I don’t think there’s any outcome where Lake gets canned. Too many excuses coupled with a lousy AD and an apathetic admin ensures a huge tolerance for failure
    If Lake goes 0-7 the rest of the way it’s possible. Maybe even 1-6 but 2-5 starts getting into really iffy territory. Finish 4-8 or 5-7 and at best Cohen tells Jimmy to fire someone.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,628 Standard Supporter

I hope the portal is the final death knell for this has-been sport.

I watched a lot of games yesterday and they were some good ones. Ole miss Arkansas, bama a&m, Iowa penn state and others. Packed stadiums, well coached teams in many instances. Players cared as much as the fans.

Nobody cares if the players are getting paid in these stadiums. The product was just good overall and a different vibe compared to the pac12. The west coast just isn’t keeping up.
    This

I still watch around 4 games a day

Love college football

I'm sure "they" will kill it someday but not yet
    Well if there is one iron law in the world it's that Race Bannon will outlive college football.

Rather Easily.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,863 Swaye's Wigwam
    LawDawg1 said:

LawDawg1 said:

Players sitting out bowl games. The transfer portal. NIL. Alabama and Clemson. All destroyed my interest in college football. Thank you Jen Cohen and Jimmy Lake for making it so much easier to simply walk away.

Yet, here you are.
    No longer in Club Husky or E-12 wasting time and money. You?
    I dropped $125 on that retro gear that dropped a little while ago. Then I buy sling for a few months and add the sports package. Sooo… $150-ish and the $125 for the gear.

Where I can appreciate you no longer giving udub your money… you’re last statement stated “walk away.” Just to clarify walking away isn’t the same as not spending money. If you tell me you come here to hangout with like minded degenerates than I get that but still coming back to this shit hole for football technically isn’t walking away.

Any who, fuck you for doxing TOF and I. Still waiting for you to change that offensive picture.

LawDawg1 said:

LawDawg1 said:

Players sitting out bowl games. The transfer portal. NIL. Alabama and Clemson. All destroyed my interest in college football. Thank you Jen Cohen and Jimmy Lake for making it so much easier to simply walk away.

Yet, here you are.
    No longer in Club Husky or E-12 wasting time and money. You?
    I dropped $125 on that retro gear that dropped a little while ago. Then I buy sling for a few months and add the sports package. Sooo… $150-ish and the $125 for the gear.

Where I can appreciate you no longer giving udub your money… you’re last statement stated “walk away.” Just to clarify walking away isn’t the same as not spending money. If you tell me you come here to hangout with like minded degenerates than I get that but still coming back to this shit hole for football technically isn’t walking away.

Any who, fuck you for doxing TOF and I. Still waiting for you to change that offensive picture.

*your