Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Portal physics and other notes

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,850 Founders Club
As always I appreciate the absolute worst case scenario doom and gloom that has made this place what it is - the #1 stop for news on the #96 team in college football. The latest being that the entire team will leap through the stargate at the end of the year to find another planet to play on.

If every player on every shitty team who thinks their coaches are morons enter the portal the portal would collapse under its own gravity and become a black hole from which no player can escape.

Players will need to make a transfer and NIL deal before hitting the portal to make sure they have a spot to land on. Which is another thing UW will suck at. But the portal is here to stay. Lot of portal players came up big yesterday.

As we? have said - there will be nights at College Station where your great defense will get worked over and you will have to outscore the Aggies to win. Bama almost did but Jimbo got his 9 million dollar victory in a great ballgame. D'Vonte Smith was mad that Bama didn't run the damn ball.

Ole Miss beat Arkansas 52-51 in another defensive struggle.

This is a great season, non Pac 12 non UW category. In the Pac no one wants it. ASU is this week's favorite.

UCLA week, What could go wrong?

If the players really want to mutiny UCLA week is historically a good week to do it. If you're a high paid coach and you can't fool 18 year olds into thinking you know what you are doing then you are in the wrong business. And if as it appears, UW coaches have lost the team it could get really ugly.

So we have that going for us which is nice

7-0 finish to win the North.

Comments

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    The NIL and Portal is going to kill NCAA football. The stadium will decrease in attendance which is already being seen. The inability to expand the BCS to 16 teams prior to an all out emergency when no one GAF other than SEC schools.
    Football is great in college towns like Penn State, Iowa even Nebraska and every SEC school.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,863 Swaye's Wigwam
    LawDawg1 said:

Players sitting out bowl games. The transfer portal. NIL. Alabama and Clemson. All destroyed my interest in college football. Thank you Jen Cohen and Jimmy Lake for making it so much easier to simply walk away.

Yet, here you are.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,628 Standard Supporter

I'm not sure the portal, especially the wide open portal where you don't have to sit a year was a great idea. It's an anomaly in sports. It's not free agency. In free agency you sign contracts for given amounts of time and yes you can demand trades and such but only a very high level player can do that. Being able to leave one team one day and join another the next on your own accord creates a very strange dynamic for a sport in my opinion and I think every program is feeling it now and part of creating an odd, sloppy, indifferent product.

I watched the Penn State - Iowa game in its entirety due to PSU fandom via marriage. And since PSU still cares about football, which can be done. I've watched 0 minutes and 0 seconds of UW football this year. Anyway.

PSU moving the ball up and down the field. 2 TD lead. QB gets hurt. In comes backup. Offensive meltdown unlike I've ever seen. Can't snap the ball without false starts. Can't move the ball for shit. Sloppy as sloppy can be.
    Last year's backup PSU QB is now starting for Kentucky. Don't know Levis' final stat line but he had 3 TDs when Kentucky had 21 points.

I can't tell yet if the Portal is going to create more parity and interest, or consolidate talent and create more sloppy play at all the have-nots, but yesterday a team went from being really good to really shitty when one dude got hurt, and I was not entertained. /shrug
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,795

LawDawg1 said:

Players sitting out bowl games. The transfer portal. NIL. Alabama and Clemson. All destroyed my interest in college football. Thank you Jen Cohen and Jimmy Lake for making it so much easier to simply walk away.

Yet, here you are.
    No longer in Club Husky or E-12 wasting time and money. You?
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,615
    Or it could go this way: Lake pulls a rabbit out of his ass and goes 7-5 which means the team vastly improves or he goes 4-8 or 5-7, gets canned, and a much better coach / coaching staff takes over so it's worth staying.

The worst is if he goes 6-6 because that's not enough improvement yet he probably wouldn't have his couch sold so more players transfer than in the other scenario.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,171
    HFNY said:

Or it could go this way: Lake pulls a rabbit out of his ass and goes 7-5 which means the team vastly improves or he goes 4-8 or 5-7, gets canned, and a much better coach / coaching staff takes over so it's worth staying.

The worst is if he goes 6-6 because that's not enough improvement yet he probably wouldn't have his couch sold so more players transfer than in the other scenario.

I don't know why you're so optimistic that there is any number of losses that we get new coaches.
    Sources said:

Mad_Son said:

HFNY said:

I don't know why you're so optimistic that there is any number of losses that we get new coaches.
    I don’t think there’s any outcome where Lake gets canned. Too many excuses coupled with a lousy AD and an apathetic admin ensures a huge tolerance for failure
    Maybe not now but the Chipster could easily curb-stomp Lake and then we will have to reassess.

• GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    I hope the portal is the final death knell for this has-been sport.
    You don' know how much damage Larry Scott did!
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter

I hope the portal is the final death knell for this has-been sport.

I watched a lot of games yesterday and they were some good ones. Ole miss Arkansas, bama a&m, Iowa penn state and others. Packed stadiums, well coached teams in many instances. Players cared as much as the fans.

Nobody cares if the players are getting paid in these stadiums. The product was just good overall and a different vibe compared to the pac12. The west coast just isn’t keeping up.
    Covid will go down as the final nail in the coffin of the West not giving a shit about college football.
    Covid is a contributor. SEC is right though. It just means more. Also in Texas and the Midwest too. Ppl just care. Not so much out west.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    HFNY said:

Sources said:

Mad_Son said:

HFNY said:

I don’t think there’s any outcome where Lake gets canned. Too many excuses coupled with a lousy AD and an apathetic admin ensures a huge tolerance for failure
    Maybe not now but the Chipster could easily curb-stomp Lake and then we will have to reassess.

This bored needs to realize Chip sucks. This is another game where it’s a .500 team be a .500 team. Just like the Oregon State game. A close win or loss is way more likely than getting curb stomped.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,700 Founders Club
    "The latest being that the entire team will leap through the stargate at the end of the year to find another planet to play on."

This is a fucking great line... very incisive entertainment, and it does capture the spirit of the moment