Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Slippery Rock is now 5-0, ranked 6 in Div 2

TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,700 Founders Club
edited October 2021 in Hardcore Husky Board
In the spirit of the great Wendell Broyles, just an update on his old favorite team.

Wendell was the long time Announcer at Husky games prior to Gellerman, and was much loved ~ one of his signature things was to announce the scores from around the country... Since radio and the associated press teletype were the then primary sources of information, the crowd was very interested in hearing the updates on scores as the afternoon went on, and one of his character moves was to always announce the score for Slippery Rock which became a big crowd favorite and an enduring tradition.

For those that want to get the gear, here is the hat that the fans love...

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,050 Founders Club
    This is the Kona history lesson that should be posted. @trublue take note.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,635 Founders Club
    Broyles liked to fuck with the crowd in a good way. During the 1981 Apple Cup, the Huskies had to beat the Cougs and have UCLA lose to USC in order for the Huskies to go to the Rose Bowl. Both games were being played at 1pm. (What a concept).

Nobody in the crowd knew what was happening in LA, unless listening to a radio. Late in the fourth quarter, Broyles made the announcement... "Final score from Los Angeles... The UCLA Bruins 21... the USC Trojans........................ 22..."

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,850 Founders Club
    Someone is old as fuck
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,700 Founders Club
    edited October 2021

Someone is old as fuck

No, I'm not that old, I just grew up in Montlake and sold papers at age 7 in front of the stadium and got into the games at 1/2 time for free but soon enough learned that if i hung around the will call as the game was starting that it would take about 10 minutes for some elderly guy (30's and up?) to give me a ticket to get into the game... so i was there in the 50's...

I guess that makes me old AF.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,700 Founders Club
    And no, I'm not AAndy and i don't tick tick tink... FT
  • DoogmanRefundDoogmanRefund Member Posts: 815
    My dad used to use Slippery Rock in place of Sisters of the Poor, School for the Blind etc. I’m pretty sure as a kid I just thought he made it up.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

Someone is old as fuck

No, I'm not that old, I just grew up in Montlake and sold papers at age 7 in front of the stadium and got into the games at 1/2 time for free but soon enough learned that if i hung around the will call as the game was starting that it would take about 10 minutes for some elderly guy (30's and up?) to give me a ticket to get into the game... so i was there in the 50's...

I guess that makes me old AF.
    Good litmus test for the future - if you sold papers as a child, you're old as fuck.

ATBS, love the callback.