Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Duke-Mercer

2»

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Always the weakness of a jump shot based offense, when they go cold they have nothing to fall back on for scoring. Of course when they are on they look like the best team in the country.

FS coaching by Duke in this one. They shot over 30 3's, against Mercer. Instead of driving at will, Parker just took contested 3 after contested 3.

Getting hot can sometimes make you fall into a trap. Way too many 3's.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Parker basically was benched defensively down the stretch. The announcers said it was because of foul trouble but you don't take your best player off the court with less than three minutes left because he has three fouls.

Something about his body type makes me think he will be a role player in the NBA. I like Wiggins a lot better. He's kind of slow footed and bulky. He needs to lose weight if he wants to be a 3, or he will be an undersized 4.

He kind of reminds me of Derrick Williams. That's not a good thing.
    Resident Duke homer here but I disagree with the comparison. For one thing, Parker has been significantly better at every stage of his career so far than Williams was. And I think Williams had more vertical explosion than Parker does. Neither one has the lateral quickness to be a great defender, but I think Parker is a better ballhandler than Williams and more likely to succeed as an NBA 3. He's also a more complete scorer - Williams was a great finisher and three point shooter, but he couldn't create his own shot or hit a midrange jumper like Parker can.

How many frosh average 19+ PPG and 8+ boards for a good team in a major conference and don't do anything in the pros? I think Parker will be a defensive liability, but he'll be more of an offensive weapon at the next level than Williams, IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

Always the weakness of a jump shot based offense, when they go cold they have nothing to fall back on for scoring. Of course when they are on they look like the best team in the country.

FS coaching by Duke in this one. They shot over 30 3's, against Mercer. Instead of driving at will, Parker just took contested 3 after contested 3.

If you think you are so fucking good why don't you put in your resume?! ROFL
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited March 2014
    dnc said:

Parker basically was benched defensively down the stretch. The announcers said it was because of foul trouble but you don't take your best player off the court with less than three minutes left because he has three fouls.

Something about his body type makes me think he will be a role player in the NBA. I like Wiggins a lot better. He's kind of slow footed and bulky. He needs to lose weight if he wants to be a 3, or he will be an undersized 4.

Resident Duke homer here but I disagree with the comparison. For one thing, Parker has been significantly better at every stage of his career so far than Williams was. And I think Williams had more vertical explosion than Parker does. Neither one has the lateral quickness to be a great defender, but I think Parker is a better ballhandler than Williams and more likely to succeed as an NBA 3. He's also a more complete scorer - Williams was a great finisher and three point shooter, but he couldn't create his own shot or hit a midrange jumper like Parker can.

How many frosh average 19+ PPG and 8+ boards for a good team in a major conference and don't do anything in the pros? I think Parker will be a defensive liability, but he'll be more of an offensive weapon at the next level than Williams, IMO.
    Psycho T.

I didn't watch much of him this season and realize he had a bad game. He's going to have to be at least be a decent 3 point shooter though. 36% in college is pretty ho hum. Some guys get better and some get worse. If you can't guard anyone and you can't shoot 3s you can't play on the perimeter in the NBA.

dnc said:

Psycho T.

I didn't watch much of him this season and realize he had a bad game. He's going to have to be at least be a decent 3 point shooter though. 36% in college is pretty ho hum. Some guys get better and some get worse. If you can't guard anyone and you can't shoot 3s you can't play on the perimeter in the NBA.
    Fair poont. I agree. If he can't hit at least 40% by his second or third year in the league he's not going to last long.

I do think he'll be able to add enough strength to defend most power forwards. Heck, half the 4s in the league are stretch 4's now anyway.

dnc said:

You described Rudy Gay there. I can see Parker being a guy who racks up stats on a shit tier team as he plays no defense.

The guy can score so he won't flame out or ride the pine. However I can see him being a Rudy Gay like player.

dnc said:

You described Rudy Gay there. I can see Parker being a guy who racks up stats on a shit tier team as he plays no defense.

The guy can score so he won't flame out or ride the pine. However I can see him being a Rudy Gay like player.
    I'm not a big Gay guy.
    dnc said:

dnc said:

I'm not a big Gay guy.
    Huh?

• mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Not a Duke fan but classy move by coach K to go to the winning locker room with congrats.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    If Duke was a REAL basketball school, they would have fired Coach K at midcourt after the handshakes.

Simple fact.