Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Imagine someone paying you $3 million

LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,795
A year and all you have to do is hire a marginally competent OC to keep that salary (and more) forever because you’d likely never get fired. And then you hire JonDon.

Comments

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited October 2021
    HFNY said:

I don't know, if the season goes how I expect it to do, I suspect Lake will have a couch sale.

And take all the screen shots you want!

His own... Metrics show no coordinator to head coach who fires his coordinators is successful during his first stent. Let Lake go to Bama... Why is UW him to learn on the job?
  • StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 535 Founders Club
    Psychologically it’s fascinating.

Coaches are leaders who must project certainty and faith in their decisions to motivate their team. Especially when belief is a major factor for a win. Nothing in that scenario allows for mistakes.

But a coach must also adapt to win. Which means acknowledging mistakes, and to do that effectively you have to do that quickly. Hard job, really.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,635 Founders Club

LawDawg1 said:

A year and all you have to do is hire a marginally competent OC to keep that salary (and more) forever because you’d likely never get fired. And then you hire JonDon.

Imagine having a blank check (supposedly) to hire any OC you want and then go dumpster diving through the coaching staff of the worse franchise in the NFL and settling on the fucking assistant to the RB coach to run your offense. This will forever be the most WTF assistant hire in the history of the program and a real AD would have vetoed it on the spot.
    Perfectly put
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

LawDawg1 said:

Imagine having a blank check (supposedly) to hire any OC you want and then go dumpster diving through the coaching staff of the worse franchise in the NFL and settling on the fucking assistant to the RB coach to run your offense. This will forever be the most WTF assistant hire in the history of the program and a real AD would have vetoed it on the spot.
    But he has very innovative offense for 1950
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 6,069
    Lotta guys at the FCS level that are tearing it up with innovative, forward thinking concepts he could have plucked easily.

The fact that Ian Shoemaker is still at EWU fucking baffles me.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,601 Founders Club
    black coaches always take over downtrodden teams
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

Lotta guys at the FCS level that are tearing it up with innovative, forward thinking concepts he could have plucked easily.

This is what I've been calling for since RN was fired. Hire guys who are doing something cool and kicking ass at a lower level FBS or FCS school. They'll do that wherever they go in most cases. Winners win according to what I've read here.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    chuck said:

thechatch said:

This is what I've been calling for since RN was fired. Hire guys who are doing something cool and kicking ass at a lower level FBS or FCS school. They'll do that wherever they go in most cases. Winners win according to what I've read here.
    I know you’re being sarcastic. But the Jaguars are an FCS team.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,951 Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

chuck said:

thechatch said:

I know you’re being sarcastic. But the Jaguars are an FCS team.
    JonDon supports my case, in a sense, just on the opposite end of the success spectrum.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

thechatch said:

I like this idea. But it still is a crapshoot. Troy Taylor sucked at Utah and beau baldwin sucked at cal. That said hiring a known crappy oc that had given up on his career to the point where he was an asst to the running backs coach is beyond embarrassing.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,795

chuck said:

thechatch said:

. I think it’s over 50% that McMilland and/or Odunze bolt if we botch the OC hire. Just a name that wouldn’t piss me off if we made it happen.
    What makes you think we will fire DonJon to be able to botch a new hire?
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter

chuck said:

thechatch said:

It really is that easy. I don’t you have to necessarily have the QB guru coordinate the offense, but you need a guy that has a history of developing QB’s. Donovan has never developed a QB. Christian Hackenberg went from having a good freshman year to being utter dogshit under Donovan. He was probably overrated all along, but Donovan did a terrible job. It’s the most important position in football.

Btw, I would love UW to hire Brian Hartline from Ohio State as OC and bring Urban’s son in law in as the QB coach. Maybe he would bring a different QB coach in. Hartline is an Ohio State guy, but the UW OC job would be a jump starter to a head coaching job if the coordinator came in and made the offense legit. He might not come, but for around a million I think he would at least strongly consider it. He only makes $550,000 now. The guy is charismatic, commands respect from his playing and coaching days and is a beast recruiter.

Hartline and Corey Dennis would help recruiting (Ohio State recruits nationally and Hartline pulled in Gee and Egbuka), they are young and hip, and they know what a good offense looks like because they are actually part of a coaching staff that has a great offense every year. Hartline would very likely make it so the talented young WR’s stay. I think it’s over 50% that McMilland and/or Odunze bolt if we botch the OC hire. Just a name that wouldn’t piss me off if we made it happen.
    Solid logic behind this but I don’t see any way an up and comer like Hartline goes to a coach like lake who is likely in a make it or break it type season. Maybe if lake has a dominant defense and things were trending up. That’s not the case though.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,635 Founders Club

chuck said:

thechatch said:

It really is that easy. I don’t you have to necessarily have the QB guru coordinate the offense, but you need a guy that has a history of developing QB’s. Donovan has never developed a QB. Christian Hackenberg went from having a good freshman year to being utter dogshit under Donovan. He was probably overrated all along, but Donovan did a terrible job. It’s the most important position in football.

Btw, I would love UW to hire Brian Hartline from Ohio State as OC and bring Urban’s son in law in as the QB coach. Maybe he would bring a different QB coach in. Hartline is an Ohio State guy, but the UW OC job would be a jump starter to a head coaching job if the coordinator came in and made the offense legit. He might not come, but for around a million I think he would at least strongly consider it. He only makes $550,000 now. The guy is charismatic, commands respect from his playing and coaching days and is a beast recruiter.

Hartline and Corey Dennis would help recruiting (Ohio State recruits nationally and Hartline pulled in Gee and Egbuka), they are young and hip, and they know what a good offense looks like because they are actually part of a coaching staff that has a great offense every year. Hartline would very likely make it so the talented young WR’s stay. I think it’s over 50% that McMilland and/or Odunze bolt if we botch the OC hire. Just a name that wouldn’t piss me off if we made it happen.
    Ohio State is not going to let Hartline make a lateral move to a soft Pac-12 team without offering to match the salary. But I do like your line of thinking.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,050 Founders Club

chuck said:

thechatch said:

Ohio State is not going to let Hartline make a lateral move to a soft Pac-12 team without offering to match the salary. But I do like your line of thinking.
    It wouldn’t be lateral. Hartline is their WR coach.