Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Booing the kids: Asa Turner edition (gifs)

HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
These are not anomalies, these are just what I quickly pulled and didnt want to put to many gifs because @DerekJohnson's Friday harbor servers can only handle so much bandwidth. You can pick almost defensive play that Asa Turner is in and find something hilariously wrong about what he is doing.

I cannot stop laughing at Turner shuffling around acting like he Troy Polamalu on a blitz 3 yards off the LOS and not 12+ yard off the LOS. Starts rapid backpedal to get off screen well before snap, its a run play . Enters frame well after runner gains first down and is tackled. No contact. (this happens regularly)

STARTING 20 yards off the LOS and rapidly backpedaling off screen is not a meme...

The next FOUR GIFS are in fucking order from just 5 plays that OSU started on its own 29 that resulted in OSU scoring a TD and tying the game late in the 4th.

PLAY 1: Scared pussy tackle attempt.

Play 2: was a good screen blowup by Taimani

Play 3: Cover 1 man LB blitz against empty set, literally Turner's only job is to help the press corner on the bunch/trip formation on any crossing or inside release seem route, ball will be thrown early because LB blitz against empty set. Starts AGAIN 20 yards off the LOS and backpedals. Pass completion into the space Asa should be just standing in. If this play had a good S this is either an INT or a sack when the QB holds the ball.

Play 4: This is what intentionally taking yourself out of a play to avoid contact looks like... Im convinced he intentionally takes wrong angles and allows defenders to wash him out of the play so he doesnt have to make a tackle.

Play 5: Im telling you, he is actively taking poor angles on purpose so he can avoid contact... OSU TD

I dont know how any coach could watch this and ever play him again. Either the coaches are retarded because they are telling him to play like this (doubtful because the other DBs dont do this shit), or the coaches are retarded because they continue to play him despite him doing the wrong thing, or the coaches are retarded because they dont even know Turner is consistently doing the wrong thing.

He should not be playing football, he isn't even tough enough to play for @PurpleJ's intramural soccer team.

Wattenburg should be happy that OL blocking is boring, slightly more complicated, and Turner sucks so much or he would be getting boo'ed.

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,823
    After the public flogging of poor safety play against Michigan, I’d be willing to bet the safeties are being told to not have anything get behind them (loser game but whatever)

Of course the film here on Turner is fucking terrible … makes me long for P-SALM
  • coach_pete_JPGcoach_pete_JPG Member Posts: 1,214
    Asa is a great film study. Teams all over the country are getting countless reps on what not to do
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    @sonics1993 send to your buddies.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I watched Asa pussy foot around on that drive. It doesn’t even bother me anymore. It was never going to change.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Tequilla said:

After the public flogging of poor safety play against Michigan, I’d be willing to bet the safeties are being told to not have anything get behind them (loser game but whatever)

Of course the film here on Turner is fucking terrible … makes me long for P-SALM

I looked at the other guys too... The umbrella S scheme is fucking dumb, but both Cook and Williams do not start this deep and do not backpedal nearly as furiously. And they do come up and make tackles when the play comes their way. Asa is uniquely bad.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I’ve said it before, I know exactly what Asa is doing when he dives for a tackle. He purposely avoids contact either by getting stuck on a block or diving late.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Beno4Life said:

One of the few bright spots has been Alex Cook. He and Gordon and McDuffie and Bookie are the only alphas on that defense (sadly, Eddie has regressed and the DL two gaps too much to be an alpha enforcer).

Yeah cook looks good, especially if he was allowed to actually play as an aggressive S rather than umbrella cover deep cover 2.

When WE? switched to cover 1 in the second half (Asa as the cover 1) cook even was left on a man island in coverage outside and played well several times.
  • Geevis_and_ButtheadGeevis_and_Butthead Member Posts: 992
    Staying healthy for the transfer portal= heady player
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,164

Staying healthy for the transfer portal= heady player

Lol he couldn't transfer to the big sky
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,850
    This place is toxic imo

Never bash the kids pls
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,778
    Maybe he should start 5 yards deeper for a better angle.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm impressed with how refined he's getting at washing himself out of plays until the guy is past him. He is trying to give the appearance that he's taking gap or contain responsibilities and occupying a blocker for someone else to clean up. He almost pulls it off to the extent that, if you didn't watch the games like people here do, or don't recognize that if the safety is occupying a blocker there isn't anyone behind him coming to clean up, it can be overlooked.
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member Posts: 2,911
    dnc said:

I wanted to believe he was hurt or something last year because he really didn't seem scared of contact his true freshman year.

I don't know what the hell happened to him but his time as a safety is done. Remember when Jimmy Lake was a liar because Turner was destined to play LB?

He is a good athlete with ball skills and was a four start WR recruit once upon a tim, maybe they should let him do the reverse Alex Cook?

Cook is surprisingly physical for a former WR btw. I really like him at safety. They should put Hampton next to him and be done with it. They are easily the two most physical safeties on the team. Biggest thing the defense needs is more physicality.

Remember during his recruitment how big of a deal it was to him not to play linebacker? That all makes sense now. He would much rather get free hits on wideout versus meeting a rb in the hole or getting chipped by an O lineman. Lines upperfectly with how he is playing.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,033 Standard Supporter

dnc said:

I wanted to believe he was hurt or something last year because he really didn't seem scared of contact his true freshman year.

I don't know what the hell happened to him but his time as a safety is done. Remember when Jimmy Lake was a liar because Turner was destined to play LB?

He is a good athlete with ball skills and was a four start WR recruit once upon a tim, maybe they should let him do the reverse Alex Cook?

Cook is surprisingly physical for a former WR btw. I really like him at safety. They should put Hampton next to him and be done with it. They are easily the two most physical safeties on the team. Biggest thing the defense needs is more physicality.

Remember during his recruitment how big of a deal it was to him not to play linebacker? That all makes sense now. He would much rather get free hits on wideout versus meeting a rb in the hole or getting chipped by an O lineman. Lines upperfectly with how he is playing.
    When does he graduate? He will quit once he doesn’t need the scholarship. He hates football.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,369 Swaye's Wigwam
    Irregardless, I blame the coaches.

Fire Jimmy Lake, nothing else matters.
  • LongDukDongLongDukDong Member Posts: 1,237
    This was an amazing post, well done.

My favorite Asa moments is just watch him flash into the play once it’s over. If you focus in on him he does this consistently.

Dude is soft as fuck and our coaches keep playing him

That’s a fireable offense
  • SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 369
    edited October 2021
    Peterman Did Nothing Wrong
    OKG > Stars