Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Attn California Beer Drinkers

TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,607
5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
So there is a relatively new brewery that is making various versions of cool ass German style [and others] beers that is completely awesome... the cool thing is that they will deliver directly to your home free of charge
with a 50 dollar order if you live in California. Yow.

So here is the link, my new favorite beer is the German KÖLSCH STYLE ALE KSA but i am about to also try the italian pillsner and the Dortmunder style ale.

https://fortpointbeer.com/

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,172
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I used to love going to Fort Point as a kid.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,996
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Italian style beer is gross and actual Italian beer is even worse.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    biak1 said:

Italian style beer is gross and actual Italian beer is even worse.

C'mon. This is like saying "American beer is piss water"

...there's millions of barrels of that, but actually this country has the widest variety of good beer in the world (or maybe "had" - before everything turned into fucking Hazy IPA).
    Similarly, not every Italian beer is Moretti.

Italian Pilsner is just German Pils with some extra dry hops of noble varieties. Frankly, not much different, just more floral hop flavor and especially aroma. Many of us already brewed German Pils that way. Basically it is the current "IPA everything" movement but in lager form.

Firestone Walker Pivo Pils, the archetype of the "style", won the gold medal for Pils 3 years in a row at the Great American Beer Festival. Many rushed to mimic this new hoppier pilsner and called it "American", until they found out it was itself an ode to an Italian beer.

TL;dr - great beer can come from anywhere.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,338
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've never been able to get into beers like pilsners. To me, there's just not enough separating them from your everyday domestic lager to justify paying craft price. I get that they're higher quality and not watered down and yadda yadda, but I can get an awful lot of flavor for the same price out of Belgians, sours, gose, just to stick with light beers and staying away from hop bombs. It's kind of like the breweries nowadays marketing "premium lager." For what? People who want to pay $10 for a sixer of Coors Banquet? Again, I get the higher cost of production, higher quality, etc., but my mouth can't tell the difference as well as my wallet can.

A similar story to the OP that actually piques my interest is that Great Notion has a similar beer-to-your-door program. My brother's been ordering a shipment every time they're available, so I've been over at his place a lot... Paying for shipping to have a limited release imperial maple stout or blueberry pie ale or mimosa smoothie in a can shipped to my door seems more worth it than a pilsner or kolsch that at best will be slightly different or better than any other pilsner or kolsch I could get at the gas station down the street.

To each their own, though.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I would order if she is the one delivering it.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Pilsner, kolch, lager...all watered down and boring. The only thing they're good for is starting out light at a 7 am tailgate. I need stuff with flavor and hazies, barrel aged and dark beers, and various sours are what deliver.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Pilsner, kolch, lager...all watered down and boring. The only thing they're good for is starting out light at a 7 am tailgate. I need stuff with flavor and hazies, barrel aged and dark beers, and various sours are what deliver.

Sours are horrible.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    alumni94 said:

Sours are horrible.
    A few months ago, I had a sea salt and cucumber sour. It was like drinking a pickle soaked in booze. So perfect that I had to get a crowler to go.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    alumni94 said:

Sours are horrible.
    Disagree. If you need to start in easy get a 10 Barrel Cucumber Sour. Somehow tastes like watermelon. Or try a Gose-style beer.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    I like beer. I almost never think "that wasn't any good" after drinking one, whatever it is.

I did pour a Keystone out on the ground once in 1990 or 91. Couldn't drink it.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,091
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I would kill for a legit British cream ale right now.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I would kill for a legit British cream ale right now.

My favorite brewery at one point, although I haven't had any of their stuff in some time, is Samuel Smith. I believe it's the third oldest brewery in the world, too. None of their beers are over the top awesome, but every single thing they brew is good. They don't have a cream ale, but their organic ale would probably work for you.

Back when I was drinking a lot of Sam Smith, I also used to buy what I think was a cream ale from St. Peter's in England. It was unique because it came in a bottle that was flask-shaped instead of round, but it was also really good. I haven't seen it around here in ages, although I just checked their website, and they're still doing their thing.

Are you thinking Boddingtons? You can get that around here at just about any grocery store and has been a house tap at the bar I named my son after since I started going there. It's not bad, either.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,172
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

I like beer. I almost never think "that wasn't any good" after drinking one, whatever it is.

Can confirm. Road sodas with @dflea are good times.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221

dflea said:

Can confirm. Road sodas with @dflea are good times.
    Having a brew after the conquest of fish and game is one of mt favorite things.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,607
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2021
    yah me too, i used to love going salmon fishing out of westport and drinking a beer while fishing at 6 to 10 am was the greatest thing