Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

D(B) Cooper

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Standard Supporter
Has anyone been to a spring practice or two so far? I've read that Cooper still doesn't have his old speed but I thought ACL tears hurt lateral / cutting ability rather than straight up speed...

Comments

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited March 2014
    Isn't there someone on here who enjoyed too much abundance in Med School and dropped out but at least knows how much (or little) ACL tears effect straight-line speed?

The wiki link is too much text for me, haven't seen something that long since my ex's restraining order on me.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,583
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    HFNY said:

Isn't there someone on here who enjoyed too much abundance in Med School and dropped out but at least knows how much (or little) ACL tears effect straight-line speed?

The wiki link is too much text for me, haven't seen something that long since my ex's restraining order on me.

• Options
    SweatpantsGeneralSweatpantsGeneral Member Posts: 2,053
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    HFNY said:

Yes
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I found a Bleacher Report article on futbol non-Americano that says ACL tears don't affect straight line speed 18 months after the surgery.

CASE CLOSED.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    Founders Club
    HFNY said:

upvoted for restraining order
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Nice of DB Cooper to come out of retirement for one last job: Malaysia Airlines Flight 370
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    HFNY said:

It depends

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,583
    Founders Club

Willis McGahee was ridiculously fast in college, had his knee explode and was never close to that speed again.

Fixed.

One of the nastiest tackles I've ever seen.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,631
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've had a couple of ACL tears. The one in high school didn't affect my speed, only my jumping and cutting. Could cut fine wearing a brace for reassurance but never could jump well off that foot again. I tore it again later and again didn't notice any loss of speed though I seldom tried to run by that age. Following rehab of that second ACL I tore the one in the other knee. Now I can't run for shit not that it matters.

I think long term affects are variable and may have more to do with other damage to the knee aside from the ACL. I don't think there's anything mechanically limiting how fast you run. It's more a matter of your body telling your brain to put a limit on it.

So there's some first hand experience from an average specimen of short, white guy who quit football after 8th grade. Take it FWIW.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Not a dry eye in the house when he jumped from that plane.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,930
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Probably not any loss of speed after 1 ACL tear but probably a different story after after 3 of then
  • Options
    mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    FYI ACL tears don't repair themselves with rehab, only surgery can fix an acl.

Therefore the "tore it again" bullshit above is bullsht.

hth
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,066
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    TheGlove said:

FYI ACL tears don't repair themselves with rehab, only surgery can fix an acl.

Therefore the "tore it again" bullshit above is bullsht.

hth

ACL tear superiority guy