Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

We should hire the Fresno St. coach

Comments

• Options
    BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,245
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited September 2021
    chuck said:

dannarc said:

Ty Jones got no separation and wasn't a factor, shocking. Haener has guts and a live arm. Probably better than Morris

I mean, do you really think Morris could make those throws? He's not that consistent and he's even less athletic than Haener.
    Morris has similar arm strength and mobility IMO. So far his accuracy is inconsistent but Haener has been allowed to sling it and work through his issues. Morris really hasn't yet.

I still see Morris ad a 50:50 proposition. He might be good given a good scheme and play calling. Or he might be more of what we've seen. I think he's still unproven either way..
    Morris doesn't spin the ball the same way Haener does. Haener throws a much prettier, tight ball that stays on trajectory and target. Morris throws a lot of low-spin divers and knuckle balls.

A lot of Morris's misses yesterday were ducks and balls that were diving into his wideouts knees.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,628
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

dannarc said:

Ty Jones got no separation and wasn't a factor, shocking. Haener has guts and a live arm. Probably better than Morris

I mean, do you really think Morris could make those throws? He's not that consistent and he's even less athletic than Haener.
    Morris has similar arm strength and mobility IMO. So far his accuracy is inconsistent but Haener has been allowed to sling it and work through his issues. Morris really hasn't yet.

I still see Morris ad a 50:50 proposition. He might be good given a good scheme and play calling. Or he might be more of what we've seen. I think he's still unproven either way..
    Morris doesn't spin the ball the same way Haener does. Haener throws a much prettier, tight ball that stays on trajectory and target. Morris throws a lot of low-spin divers and knuckle balls.
    Morris developed the yips. He throws it well when he uses good mechanics. He's been throwing awful looking balls since Montana rattled him.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for him to look as good as Haener. I just think it's still possible.
  • Options
    honeybadger40honeybadger40 Member Posts: 60
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

The offense looks good, currently leading UCLA. Team looks well-coached, like it knows what its doing.

Relatedly, Haener > Morris. It is what it is.

Haener > Eason

Fixed.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,931
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Fresno State coach would be my pick. He went 61-3 at Sioux Falls. No coach goes 61-3 unless they are good.

Beat your chest @DerekJohnson, Haener was good. I like Haener now. Fuck taking a back seat to Eason when you are the better QB.

I’ve seen it thrown around more than a few times now but it really does make sense as to why peterman said fuck this.

I still don’t like quitters but also being told what to do and blowing off teenagers isn’t fun - I don’t like doing it either.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,313
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

dannarc said:

Morris developed the yips. He throws it well when he uses good mechanics. He's been throwing awful looking balls since Montana Beavis rattled him.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for him to look as good as Haener. I just think it's still possible.
    FTFY.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,931
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

KALEN DEBOER- would be a great choice. He has head coaching experience and no question he is a good coach. Only thing is that UW needs a proven recruiter to be head coach. With that being said I would take him right now over Jimmy Lake no question.

Haener is not the greatest QB but fuck off if you can admit he is far superior to Dylan Morris. Morris is trash.

*can’t
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,500
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This board will overreact to literally anything. JFC.

That's what makes it fun.

Can't wait to see what kind of shit show a loss to Cal will bring next weekend. I know, we? always lose to Cal, but still.
    I've know we are really 0-3 this year and have lost two straight to Cal but there is no excuse to lose to them at home. They aren't as talented as us and they suck. Defense isn't as good as 2018-19.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I had a personal hawt take last night while watching this game:

What if Petersen's offense wasn't actually all that shitty, and it really was just an execution/personnel problem? We're all creaming our sweats over Fresno's coach this morning, but there was little about it that stood out from what UW was trying to do under Petersen. I saw lots of pre-snap motion and shifts, lots of formations, tight ends and H-backs, four and five-wide sets, single back, shotgun and under center, varied pace, preference to throw to the sideline instead of the middle of the field. Hell, even the quarterback clapping thing. About the only difference is the run:pass balance, but that might have just been situational to one game, and it's not like FSU abandoned the run (37 attempts) or sucked at it (100+ yard rusher).

In 2016, with a quarterback with two shoulders, Ross and Pettis, Gaskin, Tray and MacGeary, Sample and Dissly, the offense put up over 40 points per game, passing all over some teams and running all over others when the pass wasn't working (mostly after the shoulder injury).

Last night, Haener reminded me of Browning during one of his good games, and with a bit of extra arm. Their running back reminded me of Gaskin, consistently churning out yards and being tough. Their OL was fundamentally sound, and Haener did well moving in the pocket to help them. They have a lot of athletic receivers who find space.

So what if Petersen's offensive design wasn't the problem but losing the pieces that made it work was? Things like a change in offensive line coach, as the OL was never the same after Strausser left? Losing Pettis and Ross (number one receiver in 2019 can't get a freaking catch at Fresno!?). Gaskin moving on was probably the final nail.

They run a mesh concept about every time. I don’t remember uw doing it that much but I could be wrong. Fresno is very heavy into this though.

Also their check down rules and seem way different. Fresno gets rid of the ball wayyy quicker which is a huge difference.

Like you said though this could be execution. Fresno st doesn’t seem to have amazing wr’s and they have a fat slow tight end. They are all always open and their timing and route running is on point. They always seem a step ahead of the defense and are setting them up for something later.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I'd happily take the Fresno state coach. That would be best case scenario
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,985
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I'd happily take the Fresno state coach. That would be best case scenario

I am positive you will have your chance. Uw will extend jimmy saying he can’t recruit without an extension.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I Beat De Meat For DeBoer!!!!!!!
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    HFNY said:

I Beat De Meat For DeBoer!!!!!!!

DeBoner
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147

This board will overreact to literally anything. JFC.

The poster @CuntWaffle is the unflappable voice we need in these turbulent times
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Script says Haener would suck had he stayed

He made the right move. He’s better than Eason and I wish he started over Eason. I didn’t at the time, but after watching him this year, let’s just recognize that the kid is a very good QB.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,628
    Swaye's Wigwam

Script says Haener would suck had he stayed

He made the right move. He’s better than Eason and I wish he started over Eason. I didn’t at the time, but after watching him this year, let’s just recognize that the kid is a very good QB.
    Actually I expect that Haener would've struggled mightily in Pete's offense and lost the job due to interceptions. What he proved at UW was that he was not patient enough to protect the ball in an offense that rarely opened up receivers. Eason didn't have much of a chance to thrive either but mostly knew how to keep possession of the ball. Haener would've pushed and it would have cost him over and over.
  • Options
    TheDudeTheDude Member Posts: 87
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

They look fucking good. He's getting that kind of play out of a roster of guys the whole Pac 12 passed on as recruits. Fresno would beat UW by four touchdowns on a bad day.

Get him now. By next year he'll have his sights set higher than UW.

Yes they passed on some but alot of those kids didn't have the grades to get into Pac 12 schools. That's why teams like Fresno Boise State San Diego State are always pretty good.