Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

In defense of the offensive line

BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,355
edited September 2021 in Hardcore Husky Board
Have they been great? No.

But how are you supposed to block 8 guys?

On the first series of the game, Michigan looked Dylan Morris square in the face and said, "we don't believe you can throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field you untalented little fucker" and dared him. And boy did he and Jon Don make them look like fucking geniuses despite employing the most obvious strategy against a team w. a noodle-armed QB of all time.

They played their safeties at the linebacker level all night and spent the entire game run blitzing.

Now I want you to imagine you're an offensive lineman. Imagine you've got safeties and linebackers crashing into your legs all night while you're trying to simply handle the man in front of you. You have 4 and 5 star athletes attacking you high and low because your offense is handicapped.

Would you be good at your job?

I hope the answer is no.

I hope you realize an offense with a QB who can't take the top off a defense with regularity is not an offense that work's in today's college football landscape. Just like the O-line has to protect Morris, Morris has to protect them. And his play is leaving them on an island to die.

Comments

• RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527
    edited September 2021
    Michigan's offense had 40 yards passing. Their QB might be worse than Morris. He couldn't take the top off our defense. It didn't matter because their Oline did enough to get their run game going.

Our Oline and run game is dog shit. Pass pro and run blocking are both horrible. Morris and our RBs aren't talented enough to make up for it. Our Oline and running game is the biggest problem with our offense.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,294 Swaye's Wigwam

Kirkland got his ass kicked all fucking night

Yep. This was truly his 9/11.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,418 Swaye's Wigwam

This is true. But also consider Michigan didn’t even have to throw the ball once and they would win comfortably so the problem is we just aren’t playing our defense.

Well yeah. For some reason we still employ the strategy of playing a safety 40 yards off the LOS when we know they're running.

Harbaugh has never been afraid to totally sell out on a strategy. It's hurt him at times, but when you've got a team as inept as the Dawgs are right now, it's easy pickings.
    It’s almost like jimmy has never figured out that this run the ball strategy with multiple tight ends snd a full back is hard for him to defend because he plays nickel with deep safeties regardless of the formation.

He is coaching himself out of a coordinator position for his next job with this performance.
    This is so hilariously true
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited September 2021

They used the same defensive schemes the Ravens use with less talent. Our offensive coaching didn’t adjust. Even Army can scheme against it. This coaching staff is in over its head
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

On the first series of the game, Michigan looked Dylan Morris square in the face and said, "we don't believe you can throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field you untalented little fucker" and dared him. And boy did he and Jon Don make them look like fucking geniuses despite employing the most obvious strategy against a team w. a noodle-armed QB of all time.

They played their safeties at the linebacker level all night and spent the entire game run blitzing.

Now I want you to imagine you're an offensive lineman. Imagine you've got safeties and linebackers crashing into your legs all night while you're trying to simply handle the man in front of you. You have 4 and 5 star athletes attacking you high and low because your offense is handicapped.

I hope the answer is no.

I hope you realize an offense with a QB who can't take the top off a defense with regularity is not an offense that work's in today's college football landscape. Just like the O-line has to protect Morris, Morris has to protect them. And his play is leaving them on an island to die.

My only disagreement here is I don't think this is as much Morris's fault as you do.

I said all offseason that Huard is a better fit for the offense because he can throw the deep ball and potentially open up the running game and I still believe that.

But as someone said on Twitter yesterday John Elway couldn't win running this John Donavan FS offense.

HR, YK.
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    dnc said:

I hope the answer is no.

My only disagreement here is I don't think this is as much Morris's fault as you do.

I said all offseason that Huard is a better fit for the offense because he can throw the deep ball and potentially open up the running game and I still believe that.

But as someone said on Twitter yesterday John Elway couldn't win running this John Donavan FS offense.

HR, YK.
    Morris is horrible, his sideways step is almost as bad as Cyler and the more he tries the more he will fail. Harbaugh and Shaw are one in the same. We knew what was coming and Harbaugh did it to perfection. Everyone has figured out Lake’s defense and how to beat it other than Wazzu.

Harbaugh to Lake
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    We have problems all over but the way the OL has regressed from last year is means to be fired. Can’t recruit, can’t develop, and the schemes are shit. We gotta fire Jimmy.
  • RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527
    dnc said:

RedRocket said:

Michigan's offense had 40 yards passing. Their QB might be worse than Morris. He couldn't take the top off our defense. It didn't matter because their Oline did enough to get their run game going.

Our Oline and run game is dog shit. Pass pro and run blocking are both horrible. Morris and our RBs aren't talented enough to make up for it. Our Oline and running game is the biggest problem with our offense.

If UW had played the defense MIchigan played they wouldn't have run the ball nearly as well.

We gave up over 300 yards on the ground and STILL had a safety so deep that you couldn't see him on screen at the snap.

Harbaugh used the David Shaw script against us except he didn't even need to be able to be able to throw the ball to 6'7" TEs on third down to do it.

We had no answer on either side of the ball.

The players may not be as good as we thought they were but they're not the problem. This staff puts them in the absolute worst possible positions to succeed.

I'm surprised you're surprised that they don't.
    I don't disagree. Play calling is to blame more than talent, especially on the offensive side. When I say the Oline and run game sucks it's because of play calling, execution and talent. On paper talent doesn't appear to be the biggest problem. Maybe I didn't do a good job making it but my main point is that Morris isn't the reason why our Oline performance is bad.

One of the worst offensive plays of the game was the 4th and 4 draw play that Michigan stuffed way behind the LOS. It got blown up BC Kirkland didn't even block the DE. Jon Don called a bad play running it straight into a loaded box. Kirkland either missed an assignment or was following bad instructions. This was going on all game. Michigan stacking the box didn't make running the ball any easier but it also isn't some cheat code that automatically stops the running game.

No question our run D isn't good. Some of it is overly conservative scheme but our Dline and LB play also isn't great. We were also loading the box, especially on short yardage downs and Michigan was still able to get a push from their Oline. Their RBs could also break tackles. A few of the big plays were our LBs filling the wrong gaps or our safeties taking bad angles. Lots of blame to go around but it starts with coaching.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    RedRocket said:

dnc said:

RedRocket said:

If UW had played the defense MIchigan played they wouldn't have run the ball nearly as well.

We gave up over 300 yards on the ground and STILL had a safety so deep that you couldn't see him on screen at the snap.

Harbaugh used the David Shaw script against us except he didn't even need to be able to be able to throw the ball to 6'7" TEs on third down to do it.

The players may not be as good as we thought they were but they're not the problem. This staff puts them in the absolute worst possible positions to succeed.

I don't disagree. Play calling is to blame more than talent, especially on the offensive side. When I say the Oline and run game sucks it's because of play calling, execution and talent. On paper talent doesn't appear to be the biggest problem. Maybe I didn't do a good job making it but my main point is that Morris isn't the reason why our Oline performance is bad.

One of the worst offensive plays of the game was the 4th and 4 draw play that Michigan stuffed way behind the LOS. It got blown up BC Kirkland didn't even block the DE. Jon Don called a bad play running it straight into a loaded box. Kirkland either missed an assignment or was following bad instructions. This was going on all game. Michigan stacking the box didn't make running the ball any easier but it also isn't some cheat code that automatically stops the running game.

No question our run D isn't good. Some of it is overly conservative scheme but our Dline and LB play also isn't great. We were also loading the box, especially on short yardage downs and Michigan was still able to get a push from their Oline. Their RBs could also break tackles. A few of the big plays were our LBs filling the wrong gaps or our safeties taking bad angles. Lots of blame to go around but it starts with coaching.
    Our run D sucks. It wasn’t good last year either. Some of it is because of scheme, but the hyped up DT’s are disappointing and shitty players. I don’t have a ton of hope for any of them besides the freshmen (too early to hate them). The fact that the freshman DT’s are even playing is a bad sign.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,418 Swaye's Wigwam

RedRocket said:

dnc said:

RedRocket said:

Our run D sucks. It wasn’t good last year either. Some of it is because of scheme, but the hyped up DT’s are disappointing and shitty players. I don’t have a ton of hope for any of them besides the freshmen (too early to hate them). The fact that the freshman DT’s are even playing is a bad sign.
    Peihopa is a freshman and was playing right?
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    In order of booing the kids

1. OL is a bunch of fat fucks that can’t move around Montana, atleast the pass blocking isn’t horrible but the run blocking is some of the worst I’ve ever seen.

2. DL, the interior DL are all just obese guys and the edge guys still have zero? Sacks and constantly get cratered inside on run plays

3. Safeties, I don’t know how guys start 15+ off the LOS and always start furiously back peddling are still out of position sometimes but they are. I still hate Asa, giant pussy should be playing sweeping for @PurpleJ intramural soccer team.

4. RB, the ones that play I guess? Newton somehow has got weaker and worse vision since his first angry carry. The OL and scheme doesn’t help him but he would have been cut from any other Sark or Pete team.

5. Morris, I don’t hate him as much as many here do, he is inaccurate but isn’t a pouty panic sack of shit running backwards 30 yards to fall down and he can throw just fine without having to trebuchet with his eyes closed to throw 15 yards down the field. he would look just fine with decent coaching and scheme. A low bar, but He isn’t the worst QB UW has started.

Others: The WRs look atleast average and caught what they should. Coaches continuously putting otton on the line with his hand in the ground so a DL could hold him from his route is criminal. Jimmy’s favorite NFL DBs continue to be protected with deep safeties and the 2 LBs seemed about average given the system asks them to cover the LOS to 20 yards deep and sideline to sideline. There is not a LB in the world that would look good trying to do everything this fucking dumbfuck defense expects them to do.

This isn’t a great personnel group, but it’s plenty to win 7 games and go to a shitty bowl if the coaching wasn’t historically bad.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,049 Standard Supporter
    Houhusky said:

1. OL is a bunch of fat fucks that can’t move around Montana, atleast the pass blocking isn’t horrible but the run blocking is some of the worst I’ve ever seen.

2. DL, the interior DL are all just obese guys and the edge guys still have zero? Sacks and constantly get cratered inside on run plays

3. Safeties, I don’t know how guys start 15+ off the LOS and always start furiously back peddling are still out of position sometimes but they are. I still hate Asa, giant pussy should be playing sweeping for @PurpleJ intramural soccer team.

4. RB, the ones that play I guess? Newton somehow has got weaker and worse vision since his first angry carry. The OL and scheme doesn’t help him but he would have been cut from any other Sark or Pete team.

5. Morris, I don’t hate him as much as many here do, he is inaccurate but isn’t a pouty panic sack of shit running backwards 30 yards to fall down and he can throw just fine without having to trebuchet with his eyes closed to throw 15 yards down the field. he would look just fine with decent coaching and scheme. A low bar, but He isn’t the worst QB UW has started.

Others: The WRs look atleast average and caught what they should. Coaches continuously putting otton on the line with his hand in the ground so a DL could hold him from his route is criminal. Jimmy’s favorite NFL DBs continue to be protected with deep safeties and the 2 LBs seemed about average given the system asks them to cover the LOS to 20 yards deep and sideline to sideline. There is not a LB in the world that would look good trying to do everything this fucking dumbfuck defense expects them to do.

This isn’t a great personnel group, but it’s plenty to win 7 games and go to a shitty bowl if the coaching wasn’t historically bad.

One safety is at least 20 something yards deep every play. They just don’t show up in the picture.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,792

Houhusky said:

One safety is at least 20 something yards deep every play. They just don’t show up in the picture.
    Except for one play after a fake punt.
  • StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 534 Founders Club
    I’m no genius, but if you have a constant collapsing pocket you roll your QB out. I also say no screens to take advantage of an over zealous Michigan defense and even worse no wheel route or zone clearing pass routes. All coaching issues.

JonDin is junior high school. Easy to coach at penn state. Where else in the east is a recruit gonna play? Boston college?

The game has evolved. Adapt or die