Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Doogman's agenda not so thinly veiled.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
edited March 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
eklund posted a headline that states: "Austin Joyner does not have UW in his top 3."

You would've never seen such a headline when Dude Brah was coach. Never. Even with lost causes like josh garnett and kevarae russell, there was never such in-your-face headlines. Quite the opposite, they would disagree with such statements by saying "it's awfully early for February," "There is a long way to go," "step back from the ledge," etc etc etc.

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited March 2014
    Agendas are now in places you wouldn't expect. There won't even be a warning.
  • Options
    SandyHookerSandyHooker Member Posts: 343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Testing 1
    edited March 2014
    It contains a link to cougfan that states that. Ecklund still says he's sure he goes to UW irregardless of what Joyner says, so it's a mute point.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Kum and Ektard have been very deliberate in repeating that UW is the leader for pretty much every local player. If a kid commits to Petersen then it is expected. If a kid goes somewhere else or says they ate looking somewhere else then they can say "player x was really excited about UW before the coaching change but didn't buy into what CP was selling"
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    i seriously hate those fucking idiots at dmc and they should be banned from anything related to uw at this point. a quick look at austin joyner shows that he only has offers from bottom feeder programs anyways so is the real truth that he wouldn't get into an upper level school? what's the point of headlining the way they do? don't they know high powered boosters read those boreds? (allegedly).
  • Options
    edited March 2014

It contains a link to cougfan that states that. Ecklund still says he's sure he goes to UW irregardless of what Joyner says, so it's a mute point.

It's a mind game. Headlines matter. It's what first grabs a reader's attention, and it creates a lasting memory. Even if the story goes back and forth on a particular issue, saying that "Joyner does not have UW in his top 3" is what sticks in a reader's mind.

Propagandist newspapers have played this game forever.

• Options
    SandyHookerSandyHooker Member Posts: 343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Testing 1
    Passion said:

It's a mind game. Headlines matter. It's what first grabs a reader's attention, and it creates a lasting memory. Even if the story goes back and forth on a particular issue, saying that "Joyner does not have UW in his top 3" is what sticks in a reader's mind.

Propagandist newspapers have played this game forever.

Headline superiority guy
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    If you really think about it, such a Internet headline this early in the recruiting process is more harmful to the kid prospect who is three months from completing his junior year in high school. He's almost a year and a half away from his senior prom for Christ's sake and has for him a long ways to go before deciding on such an important step. As for Dm.c, the fucktards may appear to have an agenda, but I'm beginning to think they're more just floundering around trying to figure out where they can take their soft sporting news product after it's iconic storyline suddenly took a hike back to L.A.

I know that Seattle and Montlake are a different coaching gig than Boise was, but that's nearly all in size and difficulty of competition. The intensity of Broncomania here in the valley meant that Petersen unlike Sark didn't have to sell tickets or luxury suites nor necessarily make life easy for local media. I expect with Coach Pete at the helm, Husky Fever will be back up building waiting lists again like we haven't seen in over a decade. Once his brand of Husky Football gets rolling as I'm certain it will, the local Puget Sound media including Internet nerds will have to be in line with Petersen's PR process or run steps. We'll either see changes at Dm.c or watch their act fade away slowly into cyberspace.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Better question is why in the world are we giving attention to any of these kids until after they actually sign their LOI?

If you think recruiting is way out of control (which it is) with guys showing up to things like the Opening in July, making declarations of where they are going to school, only to change it 3 more times between then and LOI day in February, take away their platform and then you don't have to rely on "reporters" going through and talking about who and what is the flavor of the month at any given point in time.

There are some good national reporters out there (Biggins), but most of them are fucking terrible.
  • Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    What's funny about all of this, and I get caught up like the next guy, is that for decades I never paid attention to who the new team members were until the newspaper posted an article listing who they were, with a couple of lines saying where they were from and any tidbits known. Now recruiting is an industry, the second season.

With all the hundreds of threads and thousands of posts at fan sites, all the speculation and hand wringing, the only valuable thing that occurs is when the fax machine hums to life and about two dozen kids send in their LOI. And within six months the newbies are lost in the depth chart or practice squads not to resurface for a couple of years.

Does the recruiting game enable crappy coaches to remain employed? Without all the hype that next year could be just that much better when the Andrews and Billys ride to the rescue, all coach needed was that little more talent to get over the hill.

Win now, win with the current roster, quit with the lame excuses. Great coaches step in and it's immediate, you see positive results. Rant over.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Stop being a twister
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks for reading.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Stop being a twister

Is that a racial term?

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Passion said:

Stop being a twister

Is that a racial term?

Axe Grim Kinolds

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    so, what happens when Joyner commits to UW?
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,482
    Founders Club

so, what happens when Joyner commits to UW?

Eklund was only 81% certain he believed what Joyner was saying. He was just passing on what he was hearing. Some of you twisters need to learn the fucking difference.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Couldn't have said it better Vegas.

All of these kids are HS studs. But very few of them are going to be able to step onto the field in college and be college studs. Most you won't hear from for at least 2-3 years AFTER they sign their LOI ... and that's if you ever hear from them.

I'm not convinced that knowing recruiting information is so great. It's nice knowing when someone verbals. It's nice knowing if you can see them on TV or whatever. But I really don't give a shit about knowing if they thought that their visit was great, what they ate, how many sorority sluts they banged (wink wink) or how their trip to Rick's was.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Couldn't have said it better Vegas.

All of these kids are HS studs. But very few of them are going to be able to step onto the field in college and be college studs. Most you won't hear from for at least 2-3 years AFTER they sign their LOI ... and that's if you ever hear from them.

I'm not convinced that knowing recruiting information is so great. It's nice knowing when someone verbals. It's nice knowing if you can see them on TV or whatever. But I really don't give a shit about knowing if they thought that their visit was great, what they ate, how many sorority sluts they banged (wink wink) or how their trip to Rick's was.

This is the only thing about their visits I am interested about. Biggins should require recruits to provide pics as well. I used to be fairly interested in recruiting, but it doesn't really interest me at all anymore except for guys like Kasen, Shaq, Budda.

The rankings are decent, but there is so much political bullshit that goes into them. You are kidding yourself if you think guys that always answer/text Biggins and Huffman back don't get ranked higher than a comparable player who doesn't. Too much stock is put into the camps without pads as well. I could go on and on. It's crazy there are guys who care about top 10 lists, when so and so is going to get offered, and all that other shit.

• Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Fuck him! They got Gaskin