Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Not Overreacting Just Curious

I don’t expect Jimmy to be gone after this year unless all chaos ensues. Just as a hypothetical though, if he was released who would be some realistic head coach candidates you could see us replacing him with?

Comments

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,131
    If it gets to the point that Jimmy is fired this year, we'll be back in "no one wants the washington job so we did our best" territory, similar to when we hires Sark.

So it will either be an unimpressive hc at another school like Juatin Wilcox, a guy who has been recently fired from a blue blood program like Gus Malzahn, or a coordinator who has had one or two somewhat impressive seasons like when we hired Sark before.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,339 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2021
    Not that I don't think anyone other than Jimmy and anyone on his staff would be an upgrade right now but it's a wasteland out there and I think no one wants to be a college football coach now because it's turned into such a shit show. Auburn hired Harsin. Texas hired fucking Sark. Miami hired Manny Diaz. Apparently all of these teams wanted Cristobal who valued making schemes to make OLineman look better than optimizing Justin Herbert.

I looked at who else was hired as a new coach in 2020 to see who might have been an option other than Jimmy and it's a joke.

I honestly have no idea who they could or would hire but I would think a Sark in 2009 vibe is probably most-likely.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,294 Swaye's Wigwam
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,421 Swaye's Wigwam
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,671 Standard Supporter
    I am sure that most coaches would love to come here - the press sells this place

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,713 Standard Supporter
    Might want to consider the Montana coach.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,097 Founders Club

Might want to consider the Montana coach.

Nope. He got fired at UNLV.

Also, I also personally interviewed the man.
  • ROOFDOOGINSROOFDOOGINS Member Posts: 266
    Not Sexy but my first thought is they would reach out to Brent Brennan and Jay Norvell right away.
  • PatsDoogPatsDoog Member Posts: 159
    Matt Campbell. Brinks truck.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam
    Find and hire someone impressive from a lower tier. I dont care if he comes from high school. He needs to be full of energy, relatable, smart as fuck, and to be doing something truly impressive at whatever level he's working at.

That's some hyperbole obviously. He needs to have some connections and a plan for how to fill out his staff too.

There aren't any established, proven FCS coaches, former or present, who will be willing or appropriate. No fucking fired or failed coaches. No fucking coordinators living on easy street with rosters full of top 100 recruits. No fucking former UW assistants.

People that are good are good at everything, at every level. A great football coach can get switched from offense to defense or from the lowest level to the highest and still thrive because good people do well at everything they do. It's really pretty simple.
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,589 Founders Club
    Jay Norvell will either go to Iowa when Ferentz hangs it up or be at Nebraska next year
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,597 Founders Club
    I'd take slick Rick at this point
  • MotrboatnsobMotrboatnsob Member Posts: 424

By the way Sark said that Texas is the type of job you can have for life. He was being slobbered over on the broadcast

UW and USC are also jobs you can have for life. If you don't suck

Not being plastered at booster meet and greets helps one not get fired as well
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,612
    PatsDoog said:

Matt Campbell. Brinks truck.

I had that thought too but how does UW find $10 million to buy out Lake's last 3 years and then pay $7 million a year for Campbell to entice him?

While there is still a lot of football to be played and the Michigan line is curiously tight (you're tellin' me there's a chance?), it doesn't hurt to come up with other names such as:

-Luke Fickell (lesser salary than Campbell, great fit as a D guy and tOSU experience).

-Kalen DeBoer (also an impressive background, in his second year at Fresno State so not a ton of time at D1 level).

-Jeff Choate (turned around Montana State and never lost to Montana, very good recruiter, getting great experience at UT as co-DC with Kwat, great fit at UW and cheapest).

-Jay Norvell (not that exciting but has been around a ton).
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,723
    The program needs an offensive minded coach. Fixing the fucking offense is priority no. 1. I'm good giving up 4 TDs as long as I get 5 or 6.

We are looking at going into a full rebuild if this year ends up being .500. Just a matter of when UW pulls the plug on Jimmy.

Somebody who gets the kids to play hard.