Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2018 Recruiting Class: Where are they now?

whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,718 Swaye's Wigwam
Order of kids is by 247 ranking.

Offense:
Marquis Spiker - transferred to Nevada
Colson Yankoff - transferred to UCLA
Jacob Sirmon - transferred to Central Michigan
Austin Osborne - transferred to Bowling Green State
Trey Lowe - transferred to Oregon State
Matteo Mele - reserve OL
Devin Culp - reserve OL
Richard Newton - starting RB
Victor Crune - starting RT
MJ Ale - starting(?) LG

Defense:
Tuli Letuligasenoa - starting DT
Julius Irvin - starting S
Kyler Gordon - starting CB
Sam Taimani - starting DT
Draco Bynum - reserve DT
Jackson Sirmon - starting ILB
MJ Tafisi - reserve ILB
Zion Tupuola-Fetui - starting OLB
Dominique Hampton - starting S
Mosiah Nasili-Kite - transferred to Maryland

Spiker, Yankoff, and Sirmon were all ranked in the top 100 nationally. Every offensive 4* player transferred out within 2 years. Was 2nd highest ever recruiting class for UW.

Comments

• hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    2019 was better, IMHO.
    Maybe the coaches just decided that highly rated kids are fragile, so they went back to chasing 3 stars and lunch pail guys like the Boise State days.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,743 Founders Club
    Petersen has a well documented fumbling problem with offense

Good job on defense if we don't suck

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,718 Swaye's Wigwam

Petersen has a well documented fumbling problem with offense

Good job on defense if we don't suck

Offense should be better this year, likely because Lake is fitting the offense to his players instead of Pete's strategy of fitting the players to his offense
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,021 Founders Club
    It’s interesting that the only transfer from defense was a guy who got kicked off the team. 7 of the remaining 9 on defense are starters.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,792

Side note: Spiker supposedly transferred to Nevada but isn't listed on their roster. His Instagram says he is a WR for Portland State but he isn't listed on their roster either.

Either way, he has got to be one of the biggest UW recruiting busts over the last decade

I was doog blinded by Spiker's hudl highlights and stats so much that I ignored all the reg flags about his speed and physicality. He exists in a no mans land where he isn't quick enough to get separation naturally, and also too skinny to be a reliable possession receiver and run blocker
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,294 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2021
    To be fair, Spiker looked good the few times he got out there.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,718 Swaye's Wigwam

To be fair, Spiker looked good the few times he got out there.

Looking back, he may have benefited from how he was limited to 3rd and long and what that did to skew his stats. As others mentioned, he was limited physically, so he was never really played on 1st or 2nd downs. He mainly came in on 3rd and long when we had multiple WR sets (played in 10 games but only 47 snaps) and he could operate in space, which is why he averaged 22.3 yards per catch.

He had the skills to be a good pass-catcher but not the physical traits to be an all-around WR
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2021

Side note: Spiker supposedly transferred to Nevada but isn't listed on their roster. His Instagram says he is a WR for Portland State but he isn't listed on their roster either.

Either way, he has got to be one of the biggest UW recruiting busts over the last decade

Along with Mora being a good coach, one I had a feeling sucked but would only sometimes say my true opinion because everyone else was so enamored.

When I watched his Hudl, I noticed his QB was throwing dimes. That QB ended up starting game one for Boise State as a true freshman. Then he ran a 4.88 at a camp and the recruiting guys said he lacked strength and was skinny.

He played in a high school offense with a great high school QB that aired it out every play. I fully disagree with anyone that says high school stats don’t matter, but Spiker’s were definitely inflated. 40 TD’s vs 25 TD’s doesn’t matter, but anyone that does well at a lower level, has a better chance of doing well at the next level.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I did know Sirmon sucked. I was completely off on Yankoff and thought he would be a star.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Along with Mora being a good coach, one I had a feeling sucked but would only sometimes say my true opinion because everyone else was so enamored.

When I watched his Hudl, I noticed his QB was throwing dimes. That QB ended up starting game one for Boise State as a true freshman. Then he ran a 4.88 at a camp and the recruiting guys said he lacked strength and was skinny.

He played in a high school offense with a great high school QB that aired it out every play. I fully disagree with anyone that says high school stats don’t matter, but Spiker’s were definitely inflated. 40 TD’s vs 25 TD’s doesn’t matter, but anyone that does well at a lower level, has a better chance of doing well at the next level.
    Yep you were the first negative voice on Spiker. You, @TierbsHsotBoobs and @DerekJohnson were the negative voices on Sirmon.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,949 Swaye's Wigwam

I did know Sirmon sucked. I was completely off on Yankoff and thought he would be a star.

You weren't the only one who warned about Sirmon but I do remember you were one of them.

I dont understand how anyone fell for Yankoff. His throwing motion and arm strength weren't really any better than Cyler Myles. He was just faster than him.
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    I don’t really care how most of the guys that left do on their new teams. But part of me would think it’s hilarious and love to see Sirmon just balling out for BG in the MAC and throwing for like 40 tds and 30 picks and tweeting and instagramming bible versus and random subtle shade at UW for not going with him.

Like Haener at Fresno, but cooler and better and not actually Haener.