Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Brandon Huffman says we can flip some guys also

2»

Comments

• LB_33LB_33 Member Posts: 323

I remember when Slingblade was recruiting like this.

It DID NOT work out.

I remember when Cristobal was a great recruiter and went 4-3
    Not often I get to use an actual photo of Race in a meme

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    ntxduck said:

It DID NOT work out.

Every coach i don’t like is helf potd
    For all the shit talked about Slingblade, he took Oregon to the natty. Anyone is lying if they said they wouldn’t take that. This is Oregon and Washington. Sling is the 2nd best Oregon coach of all time after Chip. And Chip is a bum too.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 6,080
    Head coaches main job is to build culture. Guys like Jimmy Johnson, Bobby Bowden, and Don James are perfect examples of that. A culture of winning breeds more winning and attracts talent to the program.

A lot of guys win without that cultural foundation, but they don’t win for long, and they don’t do it with any kind of consistency.

This isn’t rocket science. Remains to be seen if Jimmy really has that in him, because culture, more than anything, is what success is all about, in any business enterprise.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

ntxduck said:

It DID NOT work out.

For all the shit talked about Slingblade, he took Oregon to the natty. Anyone is lying if they said they wouldn’t take that. This is Oregon and Washington. Sling is the 2nd best Oregon coach of all time after Chip. And Chip is a bum too.
    Being a good coach in college is all about your ability to sustain success

There are a number of examples of coaches having initial success after taking over a talented roster and then having an ability to sustain it

In hindsight most of those future failures were fairly easy to see coming
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,320
    edited August 2021

ntxduck said:

It DID NOT work out.

Chip left Slingblade with a fully loaded Ferrari 250 GTO in excellent condition. Slingblade then proceeded to drive that Ferrari for 4 years without a single oil change. The first couple years, he got away with it, but soon it died on him. You or I could have taken that team to the title game. They had one of the best mobile college quarterbacks of all-time, a veteran O-Line, and a veteran defense. Helfrich was a poor man's Larry Coker. People give Coker a bad time for sinking Miami's program, but I'd argue that he had twice as much success as Helfrich, in a more competitive conference at the time.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 6,080
    Helfrich was a reasonable on-field coach, from the standpoint of game-planning and a fine offensive play-caller.

He was a below-average recruiter and talent-evaluator. Campbell and Lubick carried his mediocre to bad classes.

He was miserable as a CEO from the standpoint of making hires and setting culture. Pellum and Hoke were disastrous coordinator hires and Frost was an empty headset. Lubick was really the only good coaching personnel move he made. Every defensive hire he made was worse than the one before….

Vernon Adams saved him from crashing and burning in 2015 as opposed to 2016 but the writing was on the wall big time when TCU came back and won that Alamo Bowl.
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    Tequilla said:

ntxduck said:

It DID NOT work out.

Being a good coach in college is all about your ability to sustain success

There are a number of examples of coaches having initial success after taking over a talented roster and then having an ability to sustain it

In hindsight most of those future failures were fairly easy to see coming
    Rick Neuheisel at Colorado and UW . . . He replaced Karl Dorrell at UCLA so the bar was very low there.