Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Who will be the next to decommit?

2»

Comments

• Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Germie Bernard
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

By almost every available metric Lake is fucking terrible.

In the REAL world you can judge a leader by how many other ultra competent in demand people want to work for them. I don't think football is any different. Lake can't get anyone worth a wet fart to come coach here. It is bottom of the barrel stuff. That's all I need to know.

The question is has he even really tried?

The only person we know Lake has legitimately pursued was Kellen Moore, and I can't really fault him (or even Jen in this case) that we couldn't outbid Jerruh for him.

Other than that there haven't even been rumors of him putting out feelers on anyone. I'd assume that's just information that never got to us for whatever reason except it's exactly what we are seeing in recruiting. Jimmy makes halfhearted pursuit of a big name, gets denied, then immediately pivots to the path of least resistance.

I'm not convinced Jimmy has even tried for anyone worth shit besides Moore.

I hope you are correct here. Not wanting anyone worth a damn to work for you is even worse than no one worth a damn working for you.

Either way the next few years won't be interesting.
    Are you saying you don't believe that he conducted a national search for a DC before deciding the best DC in the country was already on his staff?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Germie Bernard

dnc said:

Swaye said:

In the REAL world you can judge a leader by how many other ultra competent in demand people want to work for them. I don't think football is any different. Lake can't get anyone worth a wet fart to come coach here. It is bottom of the barrel stuff. That's all I need to know.

The only person we know Lake has legitimately pursued was Kellen Moore, and I can't really fault him (or even Jen in this case) that we couldn't outbid Jerruh for him.

Other than that there haven't even been rumors of him putting out feelers on anyone. I'd assume that's just information that never got to us for whatever reason except it's exactly what we are seeing in recruiting. Jimmy makes halfhearted pursuit of a big name, gets denied, then immediately pivots to the path of least resistance.

I hope you are correct here. Not wanting anyone worth a damn to work for you is even worse than no one worth a damn working for you.

Are you saying you don't believe that he conducted a national search for a DC before deciding the best DC in the country was already on his staff?
    yep
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Germie Bernard
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

yep
    Big if true.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

trublue said:

doogville said:

Canadawg said:

I'm kinda of confused as to how he kept the 2020 class together after Petersen left if this is what he brings

Coach Pete, clearly. You also had Coach K as a well-respected coach holding it together on the defensive side.

Coach K leaving is all we needed to see. That dude had never chased a bigger gig in his life and was (allegedly) given back the defense, but it only took 4 games for him to take off.

And then Jimmy being unable not just to hire, but even to have serious interest from any remotely compelling defensive or offensive coordinators, tells you coaches aren’t buying what Jimmy’s selling.

And then obviously the recruiting shit show.

I dunno what happened to Jimmy, but something has clearly changed. His arrogance basically goes unchecked now is my best guess, & that Pete checked a lot of his worst impulses.
    Sark can be very persuasive when he has the $$$.

See Nick Holt hire from DC at USC.

Also the hire of Justin Wilcox (DC at Tennessee) and Tosh Lupoi (Cal’s super recruiter) a few weeks before signing day, effectively blowing up an incredible class Cal had assembled. No early signing day at the time.
    You're very right about all of that.

I still think it's Lake's fault. Keeping Kwat should have been top priority. UW should have outbid Sark if that's what it took. Lake's job, part of it, was to make that happen.
    Lake wasn’t getting the go ahead to come close to 1.7 mil. If Kwat wanted to go, there wasn’t much Lake could do. Of all the things to bash Jimmy for, this is low.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    thechatch said:

I’d take Wilcox over Lake in a heartbeat

I’d take Sark over Lake
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2021
    Emeka Megwa

thechatch said:

I’d take Wilcox over Lake in a heartbeat

I’d take Sark over Lake
    That is a bit of a reach but I would take Sark's DC over Lake
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wilcox is 21-21

Just because he owned Petersen doesn't make him great
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Emeka Megwa

Wilcox is 21-21

Just because he owned Petersen doesn't make him great

Does someone actually think Wilcox is great?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,324
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Even as a DC, I was never a Wilcox fan. Everybody blew him just because he was "better than Holt," but it seemed to be very hit and miss whether the skwaad was prepared or not. Maybe that was just a Sark thing and Wilcox couldn't have done anything about it, but his two UW defenses gave up scores of 41, 52 (twice), 31, and 28 in 2012 and 31, 45, 53 (in triple-shitpost-consecutive weeks), and 41 in 2013.

I really don't care how bad your players are (and no way were they THAT bad), you don't give up 40 points or more six times in two years if you're an elite DC.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think I got whooshed

Could have been a Nick Holt joke
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Even as a DC, I was never a Wilcox fan. Everybody blew him just because he was "better than Holt," but it seemed to be very hit and miss whether the skwaad was prepared or not. Maybe that was just a Sark thing and Wilcox couldn't have done anything about it, but his two UW defenses gave up scores of 41, 52 (twice), 31, and 28 in 2012 and 31, 45, 53 (in triple-shitpost-consecutive weeks), and 41 in 2013.

I really don't care how bad your players are (and no way were they THAT bad), you don't give up 40 points or more six times in two years if you're an elite DC.

What are you going to say when Arizona hangs 50 on us was Wilcox related
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Emeka Megwa

I think Wilcox is a good DC. That was Sark's team.

He was a meh hire as a head coach though, and meh results have followed.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you can't win with superior culture....
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Germie Bernard

chuck said:

trublue said:

doogville said:

Canadawg said:

I'm kinda of confused as to how he kept the 2020 class together after Petersen left if this is what he brings

Coach Pete, clearly. You also had Coach K as a well-respected coach holding it together on the defensive side.

Coach K leaving is all we needed to see. That dude had never chased a bigger gig in his life and was (allegedly) given back the defense, but it only took 4 games for him to take off.

And then Jimmy being unable not just to hire, but even to have serious interest from any remotely compelling defensive or offensive coordinators, tells you coaches aren’t buying what Jimmy’s selling.

And then obviously the recruiting shit show.

I dunno what happened to Jimmy, but something has clearly changed. His arrogance basically goes unchecked now is my best guess, & that Pete checked a lot of his worst impulses.
    Sark can be very persuasive when he has the $$$.

See Nick Holt hire from DC at USC.

Also the hire of Justin Wilcox (DC at Tennessee) and Tosh Lupoi (Cal’s super recruiter) a few weeks before signing day, effectively blowing up an incredible class Cal had assembled. No early signing day at the time.
    You're very right about all of that.

I still think it's Lake's fault. Keeping Kwat should have been top priority. UW should have outbid Sark if that's what it took. Lake's job, part of it, was to make that happen.
    Lake wasn’t getting the go ahead to come close to 1.7 mil. If Kwat wanted to go, there wasn’t much Lake could do. Of all the things to bash Jimmy for, this is low.