Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

BREAKING: A Big Ten, Pac 12, and ACC Alliance Means Even Bigger Trouble For The Big 12

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam
    I dont follow this shit enough to have an intelligent take, other than this...I think a properly done big 10-pac 6 merger would be freakin money and should be able to hang with the big boy SEC. Let the cuog, beav, Zona schools, Utah and Colorado go. They belong with the big 12 rejects.

I dont know about the ACC. My first reaction is fuck no.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

I dont follow this shit enough to have an intelligent take, other than this...I think a properly done big 10-pac 6 merger would be freakin money and should be able to hang with the big boy SEC. Let the cuog, beav, Zona schools, Utah and Colorado go. They belong with the big 12 rejects.

If anything, it'll be a defacto league where they have standardized schedules to maximize exposure and revenue to compete with the SEC.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,684 Founders Club
    edited August 2021
    chuck said:

Funny thing is, after i made my trimmed down list of pac 12 schools that would make the cut as core schools [i said USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington and then felt the next tier was Stanford, and Utah or ASU so that is 6 or 7], i did the same thing for the Big 10 and was surprised at how few core Big10 teams there really are [I counted OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State and realized that after that i wondered who the consistent "powerhouses" would be... Iowa and Nebraska have been in history so that is 6] ~ but in any event I felt like there are arguably the same number and probably fewer core Big 10 teams than in the pac12. And yet, they have a killer good media contract... go figure.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club

This whole Pac 12 confusion is about time zone issues ~ in the old days the Pac 12 had afternoon timeslots which meant that the rest of the country [and specifically the eastern timezone] could watch our games after their afternoon games were done which was an advantageous time slot boon for TV exposure... now somehow, the Pac 12 execs had no clue and let the TV networks create middle of the night games on the east coast be a scheduling norm? And they are surprised at the slide in relevance and recruits heading east?

The result was We were going head to head with truck racing and didn't always win that battle.

Baffling, but fixable in the sense that by geographic time slot the PAC 12 has a natural advantage that needs to be exploited in contractual relationships within the context of media distribution. In engrish, this means that in future negotiations the league must say that this is an afternoon with an occasional night game league and we are in charge of scheduling, what will you pay for the contractual rights?

Problem with that is now with ABC/ESPN having the SEC games they don't need Pac-12 for that inventory. Quote from article talking about move from CBS to ABC:

"But beyond the extra change, the SEC benefits from increased flexibility and more of a heads up on kickoff times, two significant factors in negotiations. In fact, more than half of the league’s kickoff times are expected to be assigned a time window (ie: morning/afternoon or late afternoon/evening) before the season even begins, commissioner Greg Sankey told Sports Illustrated this week.

As for flexibility, the league now has the option for its best game each week not to be locked into the 3:30 p.m. ET time slot, as was the case with CBS. While the conference will be assured a weekly 3:30 time slot on ABC, its premier matchups can shift to ABC’s prime-time window, ESPN president Jimmy Pitaro tells SI."

Fox sees this as well, so who are they going to be bidding against? Themselves?

ESPN needs the Pac-12 for one thing only. Night Games. Fox is happy carrying the best non Ohio State (they are their 9 am ticket) Big 10 game during the afternoon, which puts them in the same camp as it pertains to us.

Larry Scott's belief was that a streaming Unicorn (Facebook/Google/Amazon/Apple/Etc) would come save the day and pay through the ass just for content no matter if they made money on it or not.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,153
    If the alliance happens, do they lock the SEC out from having any meaningful OOC games? Not sure if that helps keep any of the SEC schools out of the expanded playoff, but maybe they can reduce exposure for SEC schools to raid recruiting grounds in other areas of the country.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,153
    No contract, but they looked each other in the eye and are gentlemen. So that's big news.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam

No contract, but they looked each other in the eye and are gentlemen. So that's big news.

A contract might scare some off given the level of uncertainty in college sports and no need to sign a contract when things may change. A soft commit is enough right now.

If the alliance happens, do they lock the SEC out from having any meaningful OOC games? Not sure if that helps keep any of the SEC schools out of the expanded playoff, but maybe they can reduce exposure for SEC schools to raid recruiting grounds in other areas of the country.

SEC teams will continue to play their regional rivals with the ACC, and the others just schedule G5 or FCS garbage, so nothing changes with them, unless they do kickoff classics or whatever
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    PaccTen or PaaccTen?
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,544 Founders Club
    The Schrute/Halpert conference