Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Should USC leave the Pac 12?

Comments

• godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club

I hope they (or Oregon, or UCLA) do decide to LEAVE! It’s the only way to force the PAC 12 and its member schools to make a move…the conference is going to either dissolve or pull the weak-ass beta move of adding the scraps of the Big 12.

Big 10 plus PAC 12 to form a super conference, that’s the only way those two can fend off the SEC! SEC! SEC!

Exactly. This only ends one way for the Pac be it in 1/2/5/10 years and there is nothing they can do about it no matter how many Big10, G5, DII, NAIA teams they bring into the fold, and it will go down very quickly just like OU/Texas did to the Big10. One day we will wake up and either SC/UCLA will be leaving, or those two plus I hope us and Oregon maybe Stanford will be heading East to the Big 10 as well.

• rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,161
    i didnt click that shit but prove to me that trooj admins give a fuck about football THEN ill watch the stupid fucking movie.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    edited August 2021

i didnt click that shit but prove to me that trooj admins give a fuck about football THEN ill watch the stupid fucking movie.

You’re right, the admins/school presidents (who ultimately are the ones signing off on these moves IIRC) don’t give a fuck about football…

…but they give a fuck about MONEY!

Here’s how much each conference made last year (remember, this is during a pandemic):

1. Big Ten: $768.9 million
    2. SEC: $728.9 million
    3. Pac-12: $533.8 million
    4. ACC: $496.7 million
    5. Big 12: $409.2 million

Here are the per-school payouts for full-shared members (i.e., the Big Ten is still shorting Maryland and Rutgers' checks, nearly a decade after they joined):

1. Big Ten: $54.3 million
    2. SEC: $45.5 million
    3. Big 12: ~$38 million
    4. Pac-12: $33.6 million
    5. ACC: ~$33 million

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2021/05/20/power-five-college-sports-conference-revenues-slowed-covid-pandemic/5184848001/

I’ve been watching a lot of these type of YouTube videos on whole conference realignment shake up, and here are some of the key take-aways / patterns that keep popping up:

- Washington hardly gets mentioned; when Big 10 or ACC YouTubers talk about who they want to steal, it is always the California schools and Oregon
    - Nobody wants religious institutions
    - The Big 12 is desperate
    - The Pac 12 and Big 10 are not going to want schools that are going to drag down their academic reputations (sorry Iowa State)
    - The path of least resistance for the Pac 12 and Big 10 is a scheduling agreement only, not a merger
    - It’s ultimately about money and TV deals

I bet if any school makes the move to leave the Pac 12 it will be Oregon. They give the fewest fucks about research $ / academics in the conference, have Nike backing them, etc.

After that first domino falls, I bet USC and UCLA follow…