Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Warning: Optimistic post!

We have a DB Coach for an HC and can't recruit DBs

We have an LB coach for a DC and can't recruit LBs.

This whole time I've felt like Jimmy would be able keep the defense elite long term but I'm starting to have serious second thoughts about that.

Unless we? completely master the portal we are in serious trouble.

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Win 10 games and all the talent will be doing everything In their power to come here.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

That was blatant sarcasm. Uw won 10 games 3 years in a row and had an off year. The train should not have fallen off the rails in program perception. This staff sucks at everything off the field. On field is the most important and they may do fine there but roster holes will catch up with them.

Glad it was a whoosh
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    And we have a coach who seems to believe his quickest route to the NFL is to prove he's the smartest guy in the room by winning with MWC level recruiting.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Yeah, not great.

And the portal talk is getting tiresome. You might be able to get a good QB occasionally from the portal, but most of those guys are transfers for a reason.

If you're Oregon State, and can't get talent, using the portal is a legitimate strategy to build out your roster. If you're UW, its much easier to build a talented roster by putting more effort into recruiting. You also don't have to recruit poorly to use the portal, you will still have room for transfers if you recruit well!

If our coaches strength is player development, you would think they would want players in the program to develop. The portal strategy is silly because you know who else tries to get talent from the portal? It’s the same schools that out recruit you right now.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Yeah, not great.

And the portal talk is getting tiresome. You might be able to get a good QB occasionally from the portal, but most of those guys are transfers for a reason.

If you're Oregon State, and can't get talent, using the portal is a legitimate strategy to build out your roster. If you're UW, its much easier to build a talented roster by putting more effort into recruiting. You also don't have to recruit poorly to use the portal, you will still have room for transfers if you recruit well!

What????
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,235
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

This whole time I've felt like Jimmy would be able keep the defense elite long term but I'm starting to have serious second thoughts about that.

• Options
    BonedogBonedog Member Posts: 650
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    We suck until we don’t suck
  • Options
    hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Like a lot of people, I assumed Jimmy would recruit really well. I expected a Byron Murphy level recruit every year. I think we have 9 win Jimmy instead of Seven Win Sark. I suppose that's an improvement though.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    hardhat said:

Like a lot of people, I assumed Jimmy would recruit really well. I expected a Byron Murphy level recruit every year. I think we have 9 win Jimmy instead of Seven Win Sark. I suppose that's an improvement though.

Ehh I'm not confident we'll win 9 games even in this dreck conference. I expect the defense to take a step back without PK and the offense will suck as long as we run this antiquated system.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,609
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

hardhat said:

Ehh I'm not confident we'll win 9 games even in this dreck conference. I expect the defense to take a step back without PK and the offense will suck as long as we run this antiquated system.
    Defense sucked last year against mediocre offenses and UW got some big, game-changing, turnovers that kept them in games.

An athletic and talented offense would put 35 on UW no problem IMO. Need the offense to make major progress.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    Swaye's Wigwam

We wont let you back on the bandwagon

Likewise. You’re not allowed off. Choices have been made. lines have been drawn.

Team Jimmy
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    Swaye's Wigwam

And we have a coach who seems to believe his quickest route to the NFL is to prove he's the smartest guy in the room by winning with MWC level recruiting.

Or is going to try and show the NFL how good he is at navigating the College Version of Free Agency with the transfer portal.

The recruiting for this class is essentially over. We could go 12-0 and would be lucky to flip 1-2 guys max from other places.

Through yesterday Jimmy has taken a total of 28 recruits +/-. Of them a quarter are reaches/fliers/diamonds in the rough.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Here's all you need to know about the 3 (4 if you include Lake) guys responsible for DB recruiting.

We took a kid for the 21 class a month ago who had NO current offers and a week later was enrolled at UW to start fall camp.

Our OC can't recruit anyone.

Our RB coach can't recruit anyone w/ said OC and Head Coach who want to Run the Damn Ball.

You can see where this is going, and (fingers crossed) if it doesn't, still is wrong. It would be like hitting on 17 at the blackjack table. You can get on a hot streak where it works for a little while, but over time your going to lose.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

hardhat said:

9 is top end, no injuries, 3 cupcake OOC games at home, 5 conf. home games scenario falling into place.

Stanford under Shaw is a L until proven otherwise, Mario may be a shitty game day coach, but the talent diff. they are building is going to be tough for him to screw up. Cal w/ Wilcox is more than happy to play us in a 20-17 game which our Offensive Philosophy seems to be, Whittingham has snatched defeat from victory the last two games up here, and if just never throws a pass in either 2nd half walks away with the win, and SC is always just a coach away.