Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Only one USWNT player didn’t kneel ahead of Olympic soccer match

Comments

• Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,580
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fucking Yawn.

At all of it. I’m sorry but performance art doesn’t really move the needle for me. Kneeling is easy. Posting on your Insta is easy. Crying on Twitter is easy.

Active participation in our legislative process takes work….CK took a knee and got paid, and, at the end of the day, it’s about money, honey.

If it weren’t, kneeling in front of TV cameras would be replaced by meeting with your congressional representatives.
  • Options
    hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2021
    If it is about wokeness, I'm sure growing up wealthy enough to afford select soccer was real tough on the players in the women's team. I'm so proud of them for overcoming their hardship and lack of fortune in life. What a brave and bold stand. Kudos.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,959
    Standard Supporter
    thechatch said:

Fucking Yawn.

At all of it. I’m sorry but performance art doesn’t really move the needle for me. Kneeling is easy. Posting on your Insta is easy. Crying on Twitter is easy.

Active participation in our legislative process takes work….CK took a knee and got paid, and, at the end of the day, it’s about money, honey.

If it weren’t, kneeling in front of TV cameras would be replaced by meeting with your congressional representatives.

Doesn't move the needle for me either. But it does cause me to root against the kneelers. Plus toss in the whining about the pay differential. You get paid what you earn and women's soccer makes a fraction of what men's soccer makes. Just like I don't whine that women gymnasts make more money than male gymnasts or ice skaters.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,160
    Founders Club
    What are the Olympics?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

What are the Olympics?

Lucky Paris in 2024. Move it to Wuhan on a permanent basis and boycott it.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,155
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

thechatch said:

Fucking Yawn.

Doesn't move the needle for me either. But it does cause me to root against the kneelers. Plus toss in the whining about the pay differential. You get paid what you earn and women's soccer makes a fraction of what men's soccer makes. Just like I don't whine that women gymnasts make more money than male gymnasts or ice skaters.
    Female models make something like five times what male models make. No one would argue why.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    hardhat said:

If it is about wokeness, I'm sure growing up wealthy enough to afford select soccer was real tough on the players in the women's team. I'm so proud of them for overcoming their hardship and lack of fortune in life. What a brave and bold stand. Kudos.

It’s the easiest sport in the world to get a pick up game going, but in America, it’s absolutely a money sport. Very few underprivileged kids are playing soccer unless they were found by a select program at a very young age.

I personally can’t recall one high school soccer player that came from a truly poor family.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    It really is about wokeness though. I don’t give a fuck about spoiled privileged athletes pretending to care about shit. I’m not sure I could care any less about sports anymore. I used to fucking love the Olympics, but I haven’t watched a second of it this year. Now I just laugh when I see articles about our woke fucktards losing. SAD!
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

hardhat said:

It’s the easiest sport in the world to get a pick up game going, but in America, it’s absolutely a money sport. Very few underprivileged kids are playing soccer unless they were found by a select program at a very young age.

I personally can’t recall one high school soccer player that came from a truly poor family.
    Not the case here. There are 5 times the Soccer fields as there are baseball/soccer fields down here in Cap City. Most that participate aren’t rich.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Kaepsknee said:

hardhat said:

Not the case here. There are 5 times the Soccer fields as there are baseball/soccer fields down here in Cap City. Most that participate aren’t rich.
    I grew up playing pick up baseball, football and basketball. Not a parent in sight. When I was 9 I'd take my 3 year old brother to the school. I'd play workup and he would play on the playground equipment. Now, the cops would pick us up and take us to CSD. Today, at the local grade school there are no pickup games in anything. Maybe a few kids on the play ground, always accompanied by a parent. There are some pickup basketball games at the park, but they are generally over 18 year olds. Not a group of sixth graders playing.

In the West Linn school district if you didn't make the select soccer team (over a $1,000 in costs) in sixth grade, you weren't going to make the high school team. No pick up soccer to hone skills, you needed the structure to get those skills. Not like in Mexico where you see a lot of pick up soccer on hard as concrete basically dirt fields.