Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

For Those Who Think Shaq Should Play Safety

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited March 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
I don't think it's happening. Here is Bob Gregory's quote about Shaq playing some RB. "I had no vote, but I certainly endorse it. I think it's great. It's fun stuff and I think he'll enjoy it." Gregory was also quoted about using Shaq as a pass rusher in his first interview. Petersen also said Shaq is a pretty good linebacker when talking about the possibility of him playing some RB. I do think it's a good idea to experiment with Shaq at SS, but quotes from the LB coach and Petersen make it seem very unlikely.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfootball/2014/03/06/shaq-thompson-a-monster-in-the-backfield-for-uw/

Comments

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    If Shaq is the best RB option he should play RB.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Disagree. He's too valuable on defense to play RB full time. I think UCLA with Myles Jack does it right and is a good blueprint. Give Shaq 5-10 carries, but if he carries it 20+ times, he will be too tired to give us much on defense.

• Options

Disagree. He's too valuable on defense to play RB full time. I think UCLA with Myles Jack does it right and is a good blueprint. Give Shaq 5-10 carries, but if he carries it 20+ times, he will be too tired to give us much on defense.

I agree with the defense/RB split like Jack. However, this bored always seems to have a "meh" opinion about Shaq on defense. Saying he is too slow, misses tackles, and is a liability in coverage sometimes. So the too valuable part is weird to me.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I agree with the defense/RB split like Jack. However, this bored always seems to have a "meh" opinion about Shaq on defense. Saying he is too slow, misses tackles, and is a liability in coverage sometimes. So the too valuable part is weird to me.
    Too slow? I think people expected more of an impact from a 5* recruit. He had a good freshman year and a decent year last year. He didn't make as big of a leap as most expected. There were games where he missed a lot of tackles, but he had some great games (Boise State, Arizona, Stanford). He just needs to find consistency.

• Options

If he is the best running back option, we're fucked

The guy was a monster in HS. I don't think "fucked" is a fair assessment. Sark isn't the coach anymore either, otherwise I would agree.

@RoadDawg55 I thought he had a fine season. He finished 2nd on the team in tackles. Sure he missed some, but people focused a little hard on when he screwed up on comparison with other players. I understand it is because he is one of the highest ranked recruits at UW ever, but I still thought overall assessment was a bit harsh.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

He's a good LB with the potential to be great. The attitude about him is just a reaction to the high expectations. Pretty sure we're talking the highest rated recruit to enter UW since Reggie Williams. Williams was amazing from day one and no one really noticed when he never improved because he didn't have to to be a great college player. Thompson hasn't come anything close to that type of impact in years one and two, but that doesn't mean he's not a very valuable guy on this defense.

I'm one of the guys who think he'd be better at safety, but I'm totally on board with whatever this coaching staff decides. I do like the idea of using him primarily on defense but sprinkling him in as an offensive weapon ala Myles Jack.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Too slow? I think people expected more of an impact from a 5* recruit. He had a good freshman year and a decent year last year. He didn't make as big of a leap as most expected. There were games where he missed a lot of tackles, but he had some great games (Boise State, Arizona, Stanford). He just needs to find consistency.

Shaq could have used a redshirt year [WIW]. He lacks nothing in athleticism, but needs experience, reps, and better coaching. The slowness seen from him at times is mental.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Shaq could have used a redshirt year [WIW]. He lacks nothing in athleticism, but needs experience, reps, and better coaching. The slowness seen from him at times is mental.
    You don't redshirt a kid who can step in and be one of your 5 best defensive players right away. Sure redshirting might have made him a better player, but it would have only benefited the NFL, not UW. No way he was ever going to stay here five years, baring injury.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

CHRIST!

Some of you need to learn the difference between wasting a redshirt(Kevin Smith, Greg Ducre, any lineman, etc) vs playing a true freshman who actually helps the team.

Shaq was a difference maker in 2012 and if you redshirted him he is going to transfer from your school. Also good luck ever getting a 5 star recruit ever again after that.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    players often struggle when moved further away from the line of scrimmage. He has played 2 years at LB, I say leave him there even if Safety might have been his ideal position 2.5 years ago.

I havent seen anything from Shaq indicating he would be a good RB AND LB...
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

He's a good LB with the potential to be great. The attitude about him is just a reaction to the high expectations. Pretty sure we're talking the highest rated recruit to enter UW since Reggie Williams. Williams was amazing from day one and no one really noticed when he never improved because he didn't have to to be a great college player. Thompson hasn't come anything close to that type of impact in years one and two, but that doesn't mean he's not a very valuable guy on this defense.

I'm one of the guys who think he'd be better at safety, but I'm totally on board with whatever this coaching staff decides. I do like the idea of using him primarily on defense but sprinkling him in as an offensive weapon ala Myles Jack.
    Agree.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Jack Lockner SHOULD play safety