Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Minor league football

2»

Comments

• WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,339 Swaye's Wigwam

FireCohen said:

The NFL has enjoyed having the world's best minor league situation for a long, long time. Can't wait till we have a system where in the long run fans, players, and schools all don't get a great deal!

Oddly surprised they did not go to ncaa and pay off folks to prevent all this nonsense. It hurts them at the end
    It does. Having guys come in with their own "brand" as the kids say helps the league. Once upon a time the NBA had ready made stars coming in from college

The pros will survive but their own minor leagues will never generate the pub that college sports do. Or did.

Minor league football won't draw flies because college ball is tied into so many parts of life for both alums and locals who grew up bleeding Crimson and Gay.
    They also don't have have to pay to watch players from high school develop or not develop for 3-5 years and get to watch them compete in games that actually matter and have high pressure.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,821 Founders Club
    TommySQC said:

At this point I'm down with a minor league. Watching these shitty kids make squat and have no one care about them sounds great to me.

You lying fuck you wouldn't watch
    I wouldn't either. Just tired of cfb being ruined. Just kill it.
    Jimmy did it
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

TommySQC said:

At this point I'm down with a minor league. Watching these shitty kids make squat and have no one care about them sounds great to me.

You lying fuck you wouldn't watch
    I wouldn't either. Just tired of cfb being ruined. Just kill it.
    Jimmy did it
    Good. I can now move on with my life
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,698 Founders Club

The NFL has enjoyed having the world's best minor league situation for a long, long time. Can't wait till we have a system where in the long run fans, players, and schools all don't get a great deal!

Well that is just the point ~ the minors [major colleges] will now have formally paid employees with negotiated salaries and bonuses just like the minor leagues in baseball ~ with the exception being that Universities are going to have to be comfortable with being in the business of football without the shroud of amateur athletics.... lots of upper campus people already "don't like" that issue, can only imagine that that narrows the field of major market universities that will want to commit to the business of football
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,821 Founders Club

Well that is just the point ~ the minors [major colleges] will now have formally paid employees with negotiated salaries and bonuses just like the minor leagues in baseball ~ with the exception being that Universities are going to have to be comfortable with being in the business of football without the shroud of amateur athletics.... lots of upper campus people already "don't like" that issue, can only imagine that that narrows the field of major market universities that will want to commit to the business of football
    No university is going to hire 18 year olds to play football and get on the hook for a lifetime of medical care while paying L and I and taxes on the employees

The "kids" can get "what they are worth" jut like baseball players from the pro league