Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Where does UW get the best coaches

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,704 Founders Club
Darrell Royal was here for one year. He had been head coach at Miss State for the previous two years. We have no idea how he would have done here but did pretty good at Texas

Then Jim Owens was hired off of the staff of Bear Bryant at Texas A&M and the Junction Boys fame. He was an assistant but won two of three Rose Bowls here

Bear Bryant era (1954–1957)
Legendary coach Bear Bryant arrived in College Station after successful head coaching tenures at Maryland and Kentucky, signing a contract worth $15,000 per year.[27]

The Aggies suffered through a grueling 1–9 record in Bryant's first season, which began with the infamous training camp in Junction, Texas, during which time many Aggie football players quit the team.[28] The "survivors" were given the name "Junction Boys."[28] Two years later, Bryant led the team to the Southwest Conference championship with a 34–21 victory over Texas in Austin.[29] The following year, star running back John David Crow won the Heisman Trophy and the Aggies were in title contention until they lost to Rice Owls.[30][31]

Bryant attempted to integrate the all-white Texas A&M squad. "We'll be the last football team in the Southwest Conference to integrate," he was told by a Texas A&M official. "Well," Bryant replied, "then that's where we're going to finish in football."[32] After the 1957 season, having compiled an overall 25–14–2 record at A&M, Bryant left for Alabama, his alma mater, where he would cement his legacy as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, college football coach of all-time.[33]

UW was in there tuff southern football coaches phase

James followed Owens and he was a head coach at Kent State and won their only bowl game ever

He did pretty good here

Lambo, career assistant followed James. He sucked

We stole Rick from Colorado and won a Rose Bowl and popped off

Then Gilby who was a great assistant but a failure at Cal as a head coach. At UW too

Ty had been a head coach at two pretty good schools but he sucked here

Sark was an assistant. Average. Very average. Aggressively average

Petersen was a top coach at a small trucking JC school. Almost would be the epitaph for Pete

And we are back to an assistant in Jimmy

Nationwide many assistants have become great head coaches their first try. We've been through that list on the numerous searches.

At UW not so much which argues against my gut feel on Jimmy

The other side is the AD.

Joe Kearny hired Don James. James brought his AD from Kent State here in 1976. Fella named Mike Lude

Babs was the Trojan horse face that killed the program

Todd Turner kept it buried

We hated Pool Boy but LSU loves him. Wonder if it has anything to do with his bosses at the two schools

Now we have Jen who promoted Jimmy and seems to be well over her head on finances and other things

Maybe you should jump off that bridge. Quite honestly it could go either way

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    edited July 2021
    Is this the first addition of the doog fighter illustrated?
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,948 Swaye's Wigwam

We hated Pool Boy but LSU loves him. Wonder if it has anything to do with his bosses at the two schools

Nobody will remember this, but I suggested on many occasions that poolboy was doing a good job with the hand he was dealt. I suppose that could have been while I was still at doogman, but I think I said so here too.

HIV was right in this case.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,050 Founders Club
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,584 Founders Club
    edited July 2021
    You went easy on Ty and Todd
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,704 Founders Club

Pretty familiar territory even for the kids here
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,584 Founders Club

Pretty familiar territory even for the kids here
    When the grumpy old man is tired of being grumpy about something then maybe the horse is dead
  • HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,034
    Seems like Don James was the best on that list. We got him because Colorado passed on him the year before we hired him (James had been a DC there prior to the HC gig at Kent State and was their #2 choice behind some other guy Colorado hired that didn't turn out to be very good).

So... if we are going to replicate that search we should wait until Colorado hires their next HC, and hire the guy that was #2 on their list... as long as that guy had worked at Colorado at some prior time as a DC.
    We got him because Joe Kearney knew where to look
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Seems like Don James was the best on that list. We got him because Colorado passed on him the year before we hired him (James had been a DC there prior to the HC gig at Kent State and was their #2 choice behind some other guy Colorado hired that didn't turn out to be very good).

So... if we are going to replicate that search we should wait until Colorado hires their next HC, and hire the guy that was #2 on their list... as long as that guy had worked at Colorado at some prior time as a DC.

Good thinking!
  • StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 534 Founders Club
    I’ve always felt coaches are half like a technology investment and half like looking for a preacher.

On the tech side, looking at what you did before to be successful is a path to nowhere. Always a new landscape. Chip is the perfect example of that. He worked at Oregon because he was offensively original. The past is a bucket of warm shit. Best head coaches are OCD with a vision. If anything we should be looking for the next Don Coryell. Vision.

Preacher side is the marketing, really. Gotta have what fits the product. Joel Osteen ain’t fitting in right at an AME church in north st. Lou. Just like Purvis Washington Carver Lee won’t last a year in Dexter, Missouri. They still have a sundown law and seems to be enforced.
    UW went from southern ball to the heartland of Ohio

Still a decent bet

Urban and Nick are Ohio Boys

I agree you need the right guy to make the right hire based on today

Kind of my point at how bad we are at it

Lots of schools are
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Baseman said:

I don't see Hill boating to work unless he rowed across Lake Washington in the predawn hours with the crew team ( @YellowSnow )

Hill would have rowed a pine canoe that he carved himself using nothing more than a 3" knife.
    He didn't need a knife. He'd have carved that bitch with his teeth.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,082 Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

I don't see Hill boating to work unless he rowed across Lake Washington in the predawn hours with the crew team ( @YellowSnow )

Hill would have rowed a pine canoe that he carved himself using nothing more than a 3" knife.
    He didn't need a knife. He'd have carved that bitch with his teeth the glass shards still in his nut sack from the trip here.
    Fixes.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

UW football will never be the same. UW has enjoyed great success and some lows prior to and during the Don James era. Even during the lows, I think everyone felt getting back on top was possible and likely. Since then it’s been low to average with a glimpse of former glory that faded quickly. Let’s face it, the UW has changed and so has college football.

We are winning the PAC this year Mikey. Good shot next year too.