Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Can Huskies compete for Pac-12 titles on current recruiting pace?

2»

Comments

• BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

dnc said:

lvd said:

lvd said:

I would bet Don James back in the day was a lousy recruiter. All he probably had to say was, "We're here to win" and let the behind the scenes coaching and on the field performance do the talking. Recruits would come to UW because they consistently overachieved in all the games regardless of their opponent. Jimmy lake will have to do the same. That's pretty much the only way to compete with the way the landscape is setting up with amateur money making and other deals behind the scenes.

You'd lose the bet

James was the closer.
    if you're right, there must be stories about it. anyways, It's all about development and overachievement now if the school doesn't have the resources to "fund" players. College football is about to get very interesting. Teams might be better off not recruiting 5 star players who will get big money deals and become a distraction to their teams....However 3 star player who overachieve could get compromised psychologically as well as soon as they start showing some potential on the field.
    Survived a driveby at Beno Bryant's house to get his commit IIRC
    Different Strokes Todd shooting i think

Could be an urban legend

But a shooting
    It's not.

Willis had an Uzi. There was gunfire, followed by helicopters.

Quint delivered the bomb. James got his guy.

Beno wasn't a 4 star but he got loose. (Howard Cosell had retired by then)
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    lvd said:

lvd said:

I would bet Don James back in the day was a lousy recruiter. All he probably had to say was, "We're here to win" and let the behind the scenes coaching and on the field performance do the talking. Recruits would come to UW because they consistently overachieved in all the games regardless of their opponent. Jimmy lake will have to do the same. That's pretty much the only way to compete with the way the landscape is setting up with amateur money making and other deals behind the scenes.

You'd lose the bet

James was the closer.
    if you're right, there must be stories about it. anyways, It's all about development and overachievement now if the school doesn't have the resources to "fund" players. College football is about to get very interesting. Teams might be better off not recruiting 5 star players who will get big money deals and become a distraction to their teams....However 3 star player who overachieve could get compromised psychologically as well as soon as they start showing some potential on the field.
    No. Recruits going to UW won’t get anything from NIL. A star player that has produced could.

It’s a disadvantage in Seattle compared to college towns. More money in the city, but every almost single Seahawks player is more recognizable to the public than a UW player.
  • lvdlvd Member Posts: 29

lvd said:

lvd said:

You'd lose the bet

James was the closer.
    No. Recruits going to UW won’t get anything from NIL. A star player that has produced could.

It’s a disadvantage in Seattle compared to college towns. More money in the city, but every almost single Seahawks player is more recognizable to the public than a UW player.
    Yes UW and Seattle has plenty of ways to grow through tourism, tech, and research opportunities. They're not as desperate and are going to be more willing to take the high road. Whereas other schools in SE or mid-US that have nothing else going on except football and Covid revitalization. Having 40 5-star players on a team is going to become a liability very soon. Big money in the hands of teenagers is kryptonite to work ethic. Above average on field performance one week and off the radar the next. Just observe majority of spoiled rich kid with billionaire parents.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club
    lvd said:

Don James beat out Notre Dame in his first year for Joe Steele.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    lvd said:

Kiss the ring doog, u don’t get to a natty with out coffee
    dOgmaster said:

Don James may have quit on his team but I doubt he was lazy.

Pete*
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    lvd said:

lvd said:

lvd said:

You'd lose the bet

James was the closer.

Yes UW and Seattle has plenty of ways to grow through tourism, tech, and research opportunities. They're not as desperate and are going to be more willing to take the high road. Whereas other schools in SE or mid-US that have nothing else going on except football and Covid revitalization. Having 40 5-star players on a team is going to become a liability very soon. Big money in the hands of teenagers is kryptonite to work ethic. Above average on field performance one week and off the radar the next. Just observe majority of spoiled rich kid with billionaire parents.
    I don’t think I’ve read a post more dumb than this. That includes the ones from people with a tenuous grasp of the English language and even DJDuck hitting the quote button 11 times before replying to something completely different.

What the fuck do you think 17 year old boys want to research?

Schools in the SE have nothing to offer football players besides the thing they do, football?

The SE is awful for them. The fastest growing region in the country, already home to the most football talent, matches the demographics of an average college football team the closest, has warmer weather, with a mix of both shitty schools and good ones, where they were willing to pay when it was against the rules, and better looking women. Other than that there’s not much to offer. Fewer breweries, artisanal coffee houses, and tech startups - I’m not sure how they get any recruits to go there to begin with.

40 5-stars does sound bad. Alabama had 18 one time, and they didn’t even win the title - they lost to Clemson and their measly six 5-stars, so I think you’re on to something here.

Young people getting money is the worst. That’s why high school to NBA players like Lebron James and Kobe Bryant are famous for their laziness. Once they got those millions they didn’t want anymore millions, a common theme among millionaires from all professions. Alabama’s QB is getting a million dollars, which I assume is representative of every player at every position.

Speaking of wealth, out of all of the children of billionaires I know there hasn’t been a single successful football player. Not just football, all throughout history the great names you know came from parents who were not wealthy. Since they weren’t busy counting their money they had opportunity to pursue education and passions.
    lvd said:

lvd said:

lvd said:

You'd lose the bet

James was the closer.

Gave you a thumbs up for making the point about having 40 5 stars being a problem. I actually think that will happen.

lvd said:

lvd said:

lvd said:

You'd lose the bet

James was the closer.

Gave you a thumbs up for making the point about having 40 5 stars being a problem. I actually think that will happen.
    Jealousy factor should be chinteresting factor

lvd said:

lvd said:

lvd said:

You'd lose the bet

James was the closer.

I don’t think I’ve read a post more dumb than this. That includes the ones from people with a tenuous grasp of the English language and even DJDuck hitting the quote button 11 times before replying to something completely different.

Schools in the SE have nothing to offer football players besides the thing they do, football?

The SE is awful for them. The fastest growing region in the country, already home to the most football talent, matches the demographics of an average college football team the closest, has warmer weather, with a mix of both shitty schools and good ones, where they were willing to pay when it was against the rules, and better looking women. Other than that there’s not much to offer. Fewer breweries, artisanal coffee houses, and tech startups - I’m not sure how they get any recruits to go there to begin with.

40 5-stars does sound bad. Alabama had 18 one time, and they didn’t even win the title - they lost to Clemson and their measly six 5-stars, so I think you’re on to something here.

Young people getting money is the worst. That’s why high school to NBA players like Lebron James and Kobe Bryant are famous for their laziness. Once they got those millions they didn’t want anymore millions, a common theme among millionaires from all professions. Alabama’s QB is getting a million dollars, which I assume is representative of every player at every position.

Speaking of wealth, out of all of the children of billionaires I know there hasn’t been a single successful football player. Not just football, all throughout history the great names you know came from parents who were not wealthy. Since they weren’t busy counting their money they had opportunity to pursue education and passions.
    I don’t think you’re wrong, but there will certainly be a huge flameout because of money. Guys will get in trouble and in with the wrong people. It won’t be common, but it will happen.

Professional sports is full of guys that don’t put in the same effort after getting paid.
  • LB_33LB_33 Member Posts: 323

lvd said:

lvd said:

lvd said:

You'd lose the bet

James was the closer.

I don’t think you’re wrong, but there will certainly be a huge flameout because of money. Guys will get in trouble and in with the wrong people. It won’t be common, but it will happen.

Professional sports is full of guys that don’t put in the same effort after getting paid.
    Football might be the one sport where that doesn’t happen.

Outside of the Trevor Lawrence/Tim Tebow/White QB who looks like he takes it up the ass behind closed doors - the other 27 non-QB first round picks will make more money from their signing bonus in a rookie contract than all NIL combined. The 32 or so 5-stars might get some cash from boosters than previously went unreported or unnoticed that can materially change their living situations.

But NFL players don’t get actually paid until their second contract. And even then, they play it out with the knowledge that if they suck they get cut. I think the motivation for bigger dollars is always there in the NFL.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

lvd said:

Don James beat out Notre Dame in his first year for Joe Steele.
    Number 1 on my bored
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557

lvd said:

lvd said:

lvd said:

You'd lose the bet

James was the closer.

You’re right that money changes things. It will have negative ramifications for some guys. Example, Colt Lyerla does more blow and shows up underweight.
    For some, it will be positive. Example, Jeremiah Pharms pays for his weed instead of committing a violent robbery.

I think people are overestimating how much money is involved in NIL. Most football players are getting nothing more than the Benny handshakes they were already receiving. The fact remains that outside of QBs and a few marketable stars there isn’t a huge demand for All Pro NFL players, let alone the left guard or nickel safety for most college teams.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,419 Swaye's Wigwam