Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

40 > 43?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,097 Founders Club
My brief dalliance with the cult of recruiting / "leveling up" ended some time ago. ATBSJBS, I was somewhat surprised to learn from WestCoast CFB that we are still 40 four/five stars "in progress" for 2021. I would have thought for sure we were back in the 30's after losing so much dead weight through the transfer portal.

Win the Pac or GTFO. The cupboard is full.

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,097 Founders Club
    dnc said:

We didn't really lose much net through the portal.

Out
    Sirmon
    Garbers
    Jones
    Puka
    McKinney
    Osbourne
    Spiker
    Calvert

In
    O'Brien
    Martin
    Bookie
    Jackson

So a net loss of 4. Which is obviously not ideal but it's not a huge drain on the talent pool.

The bigger issue is we didn't bring in much blue chip talent in the recruiting class.

Definitely not a huge drain since most of those guys were busts or hadn't done shit yet.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

If Jimmy wins the portal, wins 11 games, and wins recruiting in 22 we should be good

Easy peasy

I think jimmy is banking on the portal. Given the flaky nature of the kids these days. Not a bad strategy
    dnc said:

FireCohen said:

If Jimmy wins the portal, wins 11 games, and wins recruiting in 22 we should be good

Easy peasy

I think jimmy is banking on the portal. Given the flaky nature of the kids these days. Not a bad strategy
    But it doesn't make sense when easily one of your main competitive edges is your ability to outdevelop other schools. Why focus on taking underdeveloped and older but still talented kids when you could get that same talent younger and develop it?

I'm all for taking advantage of the portal to supplement what you lose from it or what roster holes may emerge due to injury, bad luck, etc. But planning on using the portal as your primary means of bringing in high end talent seems antithetical to the makeup of the program.
    If the TT receiver balls out, I'm going to start my cult of the Transfer Portal phase.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    dnc said:

FireCohen said:

Easy peasy

But it doesn't make sense when easily one of your main competitive edges is your ability to outdevelop other schools. Why focus on taking underdeveloped and older but still talented kids when you could get that same talent younger and develop it?

I'm all for taking advantage of the portal to supplement what you lose from it or what roster holes may emerge due to injury, bad luck, etc. But planning on using the portal as your primary means of bringing in high end talent seems antithetical to the makeup of the program.
    Honestly, I am not sure we are developing that well after Pete left (his last year does not count - he was checked out at that point).
    FireCohen said:

dnc said:

FireCohen said:

Easy peasy

Honestly, I am not sure we are developing that well after Pete left (his last year does not count - he was checked out at that point).
    Ulifoshio, ZTF, Otton?

Morris appears half way competent- e.g., no (real) sacks in 4 games worth of stats. Good 3rd down completion percentage.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

FireCohen said:

Easy peasy

It's one tool in the tool box that I am glad Jimmy wants to use

I could see some older time coaches not going for it

It can't be the only tool. Agree on that
    Totally agree I'm glad Jimmy wants to use it. It's probably my favorite thing about his tenure so far.

It's certainly not enough, as you note.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,854 Swaye's Wigwam

Easy peasy

Race being positive is kinda weird for me TBH.

To old yellers point, this cupboard is full of Pete’s guys. Lil jimmies cupboard is looking a little empty.

But Race is right, winning fixes everything and some high levels studs in ‘22 could overtake most of this shit over the last two/two and a half classes. Why the fuck am I being positive…
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter

Easy peasy

And if it doesn’t we can always move the goal posts. Everybody wins.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,698 Founders Club
    edited July 2021
    I haven't run the numbers but it seems like we are in the same pattern now that Stanford was 2 years ago and as two more seasons go by unless recruiting and the Portal numbers are amazing that we will be back to where we were pre CCP with our number sitting in the low 20's again.... obviously that is the concern for those that believe that we can still be a factor on the west coast and nationally going forward.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,821 Founders Club

Easy peasy

And if it doesn’t we can always move the goal posts. Everybody wins.
    @Auburndawg

I haven't run the numbers but it seems like we are in the same pattern now that Stanford was 2 years ago and as two more seasons go by unless recruiting and the Portal numbers are amazing that we will be back to where we were pre CCP with our number sitting in the low 20's again.... obviously that is the concern for those that believe that we can still be a factor on the west coast and nationally going forward.

We were 21 x 4 stars in 2016. The perfect blend of TUFF, edgy Sark 'croots and Pete's church school kids. We haven't been better on the field since.

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

We were 21 x 4 stars in 2016. The perfect blend of TUFF, edgy Sark 'croots and Pete's church school kids. We haven't been better on the field since.

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/
    There was enough edge left to give that team some nasty.

It was a good blend

Money.gif
    James had some key Jim Owen's guys for his first title

Year 3