Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

ESPN loves UW's offense

13»

Comments

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,599 Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

NEsnake12 said:

Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

There’s truth in this but some things that just don’t pass the smell test to me

Saying we’re predictable in running on early downs is entirely accurate … that absolutely needs to change with more play action and capitalizing on deep shots

Criticizing the use of the TE is insanely FS … if you have someone like Cade you absolutely should be utilizing him

What’s interesting in the analysis is the conclusion that UW was effective offensively …

The bones of what we do can be effective … but we need to tweak a bit how we do it

UW goes out of 2 TE sets — 12 personnel. Hence the heavy TE usage. Jimmy wants to be Stanford. He all but said so when he took the job. He wanted an offense like the ones that caused him problems.

A jumbo heavy offense can win a finesse weaker Pac 12. When opponents stack the box on Stanford they audible and throw to their jumbo sized WR’s. Remember everyone on this bored who thought Myles Bryant sucked?

Jimmy should have hired Helfrich. Mariotta and Justin Herbert. Back to back. With the roster a year ago and the young linemen Huff brought in, UW instantly becomes a top consideration for the best mobile HS prospects on the West Coast.
    To a degree it worked, the downfield throws were wide ass open. Morris just can’t hit them consistently
    I really don't think this is very accurate. Or more specifically I don't think there's enough evidence to support it yet.

Morris has only played in 4 games. He hit a couple of deep post type routes and showed good ball placement on them (I know those are easier throws). Just from memory, he had two sideline bombs dropped by McMillan and one by Ty Jones. There may have been others. He also had a number of shorter crosses dropped which had real potential to be big gainers. On the stat sheet those look the same as 60 yard throws and the short memories here wouldn't know the difference in hindsight.

The Morris narrative would be completely different if a receiver had made a play on just a couple or even one of the bombs. He didn't throw very many. I wish I had the ambition to put together an analysis. I dont, so I highly encourage someone else to. I'm totally open to taking up the "Morris can't throw deep" narrative if someone proves me wrong.
    Morris wouldve averaged like 100 yards passing more per game if our receivers could catch the fucking ball

This gets overlooked often when discussing his performance so glad you brought it up.

Throughout the season Puka had 3 or 4 drops on slants with nothing but green in front of him
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,949 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

NEsnake12 said:

Baseman said:

Tequilla said:

There’s truth in this but some things that just don’t pass the smell test to me

Saying we’re predictable in running on early downs is entirely accurate … that absolutely needs to change with more play action and capitalizing on deep shots

Criticizing the use of the TE is insanely FS … if you have someone like Cade you absolutely should be utilizing him

What’s interesting in the analysis is the conclusion that UW was effective offensively …

The bones of what we do can be effective … but we need to tweak a bit how we do it

UW goes out of 2 TE sets — 12 personnel. Hence the heavy TE usage. Jimmy wants to be Stanford. He all but said so when he took the job. He wanted an offense like the ones that caused him problems.

A jumbo heavy offense can win a finesse weaker Pac 12. When opponents stack the box on Stanford they audible and throw to their jumbo sized WR’s. Remember everyone on this bored who thought Myles Bryant sucked?

Jimmy should have hired Helfrich. Mariotta and Justin Herbert. Back to back. With the roster a year ago and the young linemen Huff brought in, UW instantly becomes a top consideration for the best mobile HS prospects on the West Coast.
    To a degree it worked, the downfield throws were wide ass open. Morris just can’t hit them consistently
    I really don't think this is very accurate. Or more specifically I don't think there's enough evidence to support it yet.

Morris has only played in 4 games. He hit a couple of deep post type routes and showed good ball placement on them (I know those are easier throws). Just from memory, he had two sideline bombs dropped by McMillan and one by Ty Jones. There may have been others. He also had a number of shorter crosses dropped which had real potential to be big gainers. On the stat sheet those look the same as 60 yard throws and the short memories here wouldn't know the difference in hindsight.

The Morris narrative would be completely different if a receiver had made a play on just a couple or even one of the bombs. He didn't throw very many. I wish I had the ambition to put together an analysis. I dont, so I highly encourage someone else to. I'm totally open to taking up the "Morris can't throw deep" narrative if someone proves me wrong.
    Morris wouldve averaged like 100 yards passing more per game if our receivers could catch the fucking ball

This gets overlooked often when discussing his performance so glad you brought it up.

Throughout the season Puka had 3 or 4 drops on slants with nothing but green in front of him
    Yeah id wager that half of the supposed deep throws that qbs with big stats compile come on short throws going the distance. I know there are dorks out there keeping stats that can differentiate long throws from long pass plays, but I don't think anyone here is doing so or even paying attention.

To add to your point about yardage he was cheated out of, there likely would have been a lot more than just what would've been gained on the dropped balls. Many of those ended drives and cheated the entire offense out of plays.

I’m fine with being a run first offense and being somewhat boring and predictable, but only if we actually have a great run game. I’m still a fan of beating the shit out of the opponent and it’s a proven formula for success in the PAC 12.

You can be creative running the ball and not check to inside dives into a phone booth. Rotating four RB’s isn’t the answer either.

Donovan probably sucks. His track record certainly does. I’m a doog tho and will LIPO because I think we have good talent and I want us to be fucking good again.

You speak for me as well.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,586 Swaye's Wigwam
    Puka heard footsteps on 3rd and short against fucking beavlet, straight dropped a wide open pass with no one within 8 yards of him.

Blame the wr coaches, players, oc, whatever.

Blame the QB coach for not calling down and cutting that wr's scholarship.

That shit is not on the qb.
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    Baseman said:

Sources said:

Tequilla said:

Who the fuck is @trublue

All I know is @Baseman doesnt talk out of his ass on things

He's the Oregon version of Ballz. Needs to consider seppuku
    Ballz wasn't a liar and had a few GOOD takes. I'll bet he wouldn't melt down if a coach in another sport required another player to shave, either. Could be wrong on that.
    “ . . . Could be wrong on that.”

NO SHIT, BATMAN.

“Helrich for Offensive Coordinator”

Start a campaign . . . lolol

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Baseman said:

Sources said:

Tequilla said:

Who the fuck is @trublue

All I know is @Baseman doesnt talk out of his ass on things

He's the Oregon version of Ballz. Needs to consider seppuku
    Ballz wasn't a liar and had a few GOOD takes. I'll bet he wouldn't melt down if a coach in another sport required another player to shave, either. Could be wrong on that.
    Ironically Ballz was the originator of the "hire Helfrich for UW OC" campaign.

I disagreed strongly with him then.

Little did I know what Little Jimmy had in store.

I'd kill for Helfrich now.