Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Gloomy future for the Rose Bowl?

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,817 Founders Club
https://pasadenanow.com/main/rose-bowl-operating-company-presents-gloomy-financial-outlook-for-the-stadium/

During the pandemic, the city was forced to carry $11 million in the stadium’s debt service. The city was also forced to take on the Pasadena Center Operating Company debt service which is also over $10 million.

Gordo said that the city may have to consider a Sports and Entertainment or Hospitality Operating Company.

“The reality is that the RBOC has a fragile business model, and one or two significant events can cause short and long-term damage, including exposure to the City’s General Fund. Most recently, the unexpected pandemic has caused major damage to the organization that must be immediately addressed,” according to a city staff report.

The major threats are listed as, but not limited to:

Significant debt service.

The stadium now is in the most competitive stadium market in the United States. A new stadium was recently built for the Rams and the Coliseum was renovated after USC took charge of the stadium. According to the report, in order to remain competitive, substantial additional capital is needed for both the stadium and clubhouse, as well as for the golf course.

Water expenses at the golf courses continue to significantly increase and reliance on potable water as the only golf course supply cannot be relied upon in the long term.

Security expenses continue to rapidly increase with the need to constantly change with regard to public safety.

The College Football Playoff continues to evolve and could have a significant impact on the Rose Bowl Game, which is, by far, the most lucrative event of the year for the year.

Attendance at college football games throughout the country has been declining, and the presence of two NFL teams in Los Angeles means increased competition for ticket sales for UCLA, which impacts concession and parking revenue as well. UCLA performance/attendance will have a very significant impact on RBOC net revenues.

Limited development rights for ancillary types of revenue opportunities, that are viable at similar venues.

In 2015, the RBOC opted not to hold negotiations with the NFL that could have allowed a team to play in the stadium while a new stadium is being built, largely due to opposition by neighbors living near the stadium.

In 2006 voters shot down a ballot measure that could have brought a team to the Rose Bowl permanently.

Comments

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,613 Founders Club
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,167

Bread said:

I will never understand all the people who hate the Rose Bowl and still decided to live next to the Rose Bowl.

See also:
    Airports
    Race tracks
    A neighbor who's backyard MX track can be seen from space
    Right next door to an obvious college party house
    A bunch of my friends and I did a trail run a few years back and a resident neighbor gave us hell for being in the no parking zone at the trailhead as we waited for a friend who fell and poked her eye on a some debris.

The neighbor says "you guys do this every fucking week". To which I responded, No, we have never done this before.

And, you're the fucking idiot that acquired the property near the trail head. I am sure the mountain/hill is older than your title to the property.

The group hasn't invited me to a run on that trail since. That doesn't mean that I haven't spearheaded a half dozens runs there, myself.

• LB_33LB_33 Member Posts: 323
    EwaDawg said:

Bread said:

I will never understand all the people who hate the Rose Bowl and still decided to live next to the Rose Bowl.

See also:
    Airports
    Race tracks
    A bunch of my friends and I did a trail run a few years back and a resident neighbor gave us hell for being in the no parking zone at the trailhead as we waited for a friend who fell and poked her eye on a some debris.

The neighbor says "you guys do this every fucking week". To which I responded, No, we have never done this before.

And, you're the fucking idiot that acquired the property near the trail head. I am sure the mountain/hill is older than your title to the property.

The group hasn't invited me to a run on that trail since. That doesn't mean that I haven't spearheaded a half dozens runs there, myself.

rejecting rejection. a true patriot
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,167
    LB_33 said:

EwaDawg said:

Bread said:

See also:
    Airports
    Race tracks

rejecting rejection. a true patriot
    Okay. Thanks for reminding me. There was a sentence in between where I said we can come back every week if you want us to.

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,052 Standard Supporter
    Larry Scott is tanned ready and rested. The perfect man to solve the rose bowl’s problems.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

The Rose Bowl died in 1998.

NFL loving douche canoes ruin everything.

Kill me now
  • EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    EwaDawg said:

Bread said:

See also:
    Airports
    Race tracks

Solid low key flex, just casually mentioning that you are able to run.

@CFetters_Nacho_Lover and other less able poasters HATE you right now.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    EwaDawg said:

Bread said:

See also:
    Airports
    Race tracks

Careful
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,039 Founders Club
    Emoterman said:

EwaDawg said:

Bread said:

See also:
    Airports
    Race tracks

Solid low key flex, just casually mentioning that you are able to run.

@CFetters_Nacho_Lover and other less able poasters HATE you right now.
    Thank you @Emoterman for standing up to this bully. There are no words to describe the violence inflicted upon myself and others with those very harmful words and it takes a brave person like you to make it stop.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    EwaDawg said:

Bread said:

See also:
    Airports
    Race tracks

Trail runner flex is unique.

But I’m giving up the points and taking the Bear in this one
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Quite honestly the Rose Bowl was over when one of the Major College coaches participating revealed he couldn’t get excited for it