Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Should I Co-Sign For My Son's Apartment While He's in College?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,086
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited June 2021
    Get your kid a credit card when they’re 16 that only you use sparingly to build credit and this isn’t an issue. But Dave Ramsey doesn’t actually know how to play the game and thinks credit cards are evil.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    ntxduck said:

Get your kid a credit card when they’re 16 that only you use sparingly to build credit and this isn’t an issue. But Dave Ramsey doesn’t actually know how to play the game and thinks credit cards are evil.
    Dave Ramsey is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, but hopefully one day he'll learn how to play the game.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,524
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

A college kid with no credit and limited possibility to earn income is not going to get an apartment without having a co-signer, even if they have a few roommates.

Dave's anecdote was fucking stupid. "Well I just prepaid my kid's rent for the whole year so we wouldn't have to be liable for the rest of the household".

Glad that worked out for him. Most college slumlords are lazy shits who won't bother accommodating this arrangement. And why should they? That's just fewer debtors to pursue if the house does in fact fall into shit because the college tenants fuck everything up.

No co-signer? No rent.
    Not to mention I think his example is probably from some podunk Midwestern town where there aren't crazy regulations. No landlord in WA State is going to accept partial rent for a full year up-front. You would have to be insane.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

A college kid with no credit and limited possibility to earn income is not going to get an apartment without having a co-signer, even if they have a few roommates.

Dave's anecdote was fucking stupid. "Well I just prepaid my kid's rent for the whole year so we wouldn't have to be liable for the rest of the household".

Glad that worked out for him. Most college slumlords are lazy shits who won't bother accommodating this arrangement. And why should they? That's just fewer debtors to pursue if the house does in fact fall into shit because the college tenants fuck everything up.

No co-signer? No rent.
    Not to mention I think his example is probably from some podunk Midwestern town where there aren't crazy regulations. No landlord in WA State is going to accept partial rent for a full year up-front. You would have to be insane.
    Right. If anything the landlord is now accepting additional liability by taking it off the tenant. A tenant has paid but isn't held responsible for damages for an entire year. Textbook moral hazard.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

ntxduck said:

Dave Ramsey is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, but hopefully one day he'll learn how to play the game.
    Lots of people out there who are irresponsible and clueless financially. Good on him for finding his niche market and milking them for their hard earned cash. Doesn’t make his advice good if you’re somewhat financially competent.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Lots of people out there who are irresponsible and clueless financially. Good on him for finding his niche market and milking them for their hard earned cash. Doesn’t make his advice good if you’re somewhat financially competent.
    I never click these pods but I've heard a minute or two on radio

I think his audience is the economic illiterates who are legion

And they get fucked on credit

So agree
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

This. I've done it three times. When you're paying the fucking rent, it doesn't matter. I care where my girls live.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

ntxduck said:

Dave plays two games: one real and one for other people.

The real game is the one he plays for himself. The other one is for his target audience. I think his fundamental advice is pretty good for the average person. It's a little limited and conservative for others. You have to remember who he's talking to.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

ntxduck said:

Dudes a straight up grifter and like a weirdo cult leader.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,599
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Don’t send your kid to college.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    I don't take financial advice from someone who couldn't Stop the Steal
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    ntxduck said:

You also need to have $1 million in the bank before you can go out to dinner
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601
    Just build that shit. You can get to 700 in a year with the right moves. Then get a chase Sapphire and call in for bigger limits every 6 months on cards. Then get an amex gold.

At this point you are like 740 or better and within another year you have best interest rates on everything no exceptions.
  • Options
    Founders Club

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

I never click these pods but I've heard a minute or two on radio

I think his audience is the economic illiterates who are legion

And they get fucked on credit

So agree
    Yes and no. I have started and stopped listening so many times. Because I will hear a great call with great discussion and I learn something useful. And then there will be two more calls with people asking how to tie their shoes, and I tune out again. Actually I think if he started a "higher discussion" show that would get a huge audience.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

I don't take financial advice from someone who couldn't Stop the Steal

He didn't try to stop the steal.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

I lived in mom's basement

Which mom?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

ntxduck said:

He’s now an insurance salesman.