Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Next Pac-12 Commissioner Announced

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,730
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I stopped following basketball that closely but is Arizona in 98 or so our? last national champ?

USC back to back in 03 and 04 in football and blew the three pete carroll just like the HAWKS blew the repeat. Sorry

Oregon had two shots at the title and UW got a play off berth

That is pretty sad

It has actually got worse since 2016
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

I stopped following basketball that closely but is Arizona in 98 or so our? last national champ?

USC back to back in 03 and 04 in football and blew the three pete carroll just like the HAWKS blew the repeat. Sorry

Oregon had two shots at the title and UW got a play off berth

That is pretty sad

It has actually got worse since 2016

Yep ... Arizona last to win in men’s hoops in 1997.

Basketball has probably been hurt more by the media deals than any other given so many games on the P12 Network that nobody has access to.

The thing that needs to be solved from a football standpoint is that the top programs in the P12 need to be able to have a slightly better national recruiting ability than we presently do. Right now the recruits leaving the area are not being replaced by comparable players we are bringing in from outside of the footprint
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Bob_C said:

Tequilla said:

He gets the problem ... can he fix the perception?
    Step one should be to put Pac12 championship game as home game for someone. It’s a terrible look to have it half full on tv.
    I like the idea of the game being in Vegas for a number of reasons

But to get people to come you have to help people out ...

1) Get airlines (Alaska) to run additional flights to/from Vegas to get fans to the game reasonably ... gouging prices with limited supply available doesn’t help

2) Partner with hotels to make sure that lodging is at a reasonable price ... you want the fans there to buy food, go to events, and lose money at the tables

If you can’t find a way to get everybody there then you have to move it on campus. The P12 has a geography problem in that it’s not super easy to drive to a centrally located championship game
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,730
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Vegas works for USC because LA folks are used to the trip either driving or one of the many flights. Same for the desert schools. Could turn into a South Division home field. Utah is close as well
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,010
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Yep the Friday night thing screams small time

friday night fuckin around with bay area traffic was fs.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Part of me thinks adding UNLV and UNR to the conference would be beneficial from an 'eyes' perspective, but ultimately see where that, much like adding BYU, would be bad for the league. Las Vegas has 2.2 million people, but I venture most of them are California transplants already, and have very little loyalty to UNLV. UNR would be like adding OSU or WSU, which would not be good. That said, UNLV and BYU would be interesting additions. I have said however keeping BYU out of a P5 conference is beneficial for P12 schools. The number of mormon kids that play at other schools because BYU is not in a P5 is staggering. If they were in a P5 they would be able to hold onto a lot of those kids. Utah State doesn't really move the needle, and though Fort Collins is an awesome town, and they have new belgian brewing bar in one of the endzones, also doesn't do a lot. In 10 years as demographics continue to shift to WA, CO and AZ however, adding such schools may be a good idea. All just speculation and off season hot talk on my part.

Hire isn't surprising considering how much of the P12 has utilized vegas and MGM for hoops and was moving in that direction for football.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bob_C said:

Tequilla said:

Bob_C said:

Tequilla said:

He gets the problem ... can he fix the perception?
    Step one should be to put Pac12 championship game as home game for someone. It’s a terrible look to have it half full on tv.
    I like the idea of the game being in Vegas for a number of reasons

But to get people to come you have to help people out ...

1) Get airlines (Alaska) to run additional flights to/from Vegas to get fans to the game reasonably ... gouging prices with limited supply available doesn’t help

2) Partner with hotels to make sure that lodging is at a reasonable price ... you want the fans there to buy food, go to events, and lose money at the tables

If you can’t find a way to get everybody there then you have to move it on campus. The P12 has a geography problem in that it’s not super easy to drive to a centrally located championship game
    Or enough fans willing to travel on short notice. I agree that if Vegas is going to work, it needs heavy subsidization from somewhere. I’d give away free tickets at the door to make it look good for tv if you need to.

And make it a Saturday afternoon game. Friday night neutral setting game with a weeks notice was easily the dumbest idea anyone has ever had.
    I've been saying for years that any place, including UW when only 60k or less are showing up, should being doing mass ticket giveaways the night before the game. Fill the fucking stadium even if it's with a bunch of soccer fags or exchange students who couldn't give less of a fuck about football.
    You get better play from your team, more excitement for new customers getting their first impression meaning new fans, and it looks and sounds better on TV.

I also think Vegas is the best bet for the title game. I wouldn't really worry about home field/regional advantage. UW and UO fans would travel there better than most alternatives. It's close for everyone else that has a shot of playing in it.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2021
    Maybe we can get the PAC 12 championship in Vegas. Novel concept, I know. Sports fans enjoy trips to Vegas more than Bay Area suburbs.
  • CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,856
    Founders Club
    edited May 2021

UNR would be like adding OSU or WSU

Come say that to my face!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401012744

Never forget, the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the PACK. The PAC knows what's in store for them if they come here. Two team enter, one team leave. They ain't wanna touch this.

GO PACK
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,720
    Founders Club
    Are Pac-12 teams gonna have to kick 10% upstairs to "The Big Guy"?
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Judging by nothing other than the fact that he's a prominent exec in an industry with dubious morals and ethics, I'm a fan. He also has no known involvement with women's tennis, which is another huge plus.

FREE PUB for @GreenRiverGatorz
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,702
    I’m confused didn’t the championship game to Vegas already happen?