Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Besides Jake Eldrenkamp...

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Standard Supporter
is our 2012 OL class a total bust? Is Brostek worth redshirting in 2014 or is he pretty much a bust too?

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2014
    Eldenkamp might be a bust too. The class was doomed from the get go. It was supposed to be a bumper crop to make up for previous drecky OL classes, but ended up as bad as any of them.

Btw, whoever thought of calling a group of 17 year old lineman a bumper crop deserves to DIAFF.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,616
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited February 2014
    Ill LIPO til Peterton's through with em.

Though Brahstick appears to be following in Colin Porter's footsteps
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,477
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Take this to the OL bored.

Mods?
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

In a word, yes, complete bust although I'm pretty sure Taylor Hindy and Corey Fuavai are going to blow up this year.

That whole fucking class is a bust and Sark's second worst. He inflated the rating by signing an extra QB who will never serve a purpose on the team and by paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to lure Shaq to UW.

OT Taylor Hindy: who?
    DE Pio Vatuvei: flameout
    CB Brandon Beaver: jury still out, passed by a scrawny true frosh for PT last year.
    CB Cleveland Wallace: flameout
    WR Jaydon Mickens: productive player
    OG Shane Brostek: leaning toward bust with wasted RS year
    S Shaq Thompson: Very good player
    K Travis Coons: JC one mediocre year and one good one filling two positions.
    QB Cyler Miles: Let's assume he's staying ahead of Lindquist = productive player jury still out
    OG Jake Eldrenkamp: jury still out
    FB Psalm Wooching: could count the total snaps this kid will see in his career on my fingers and toes
    DE Damion Turpin: who?
    C Corey Fuavai: Corey English was twice the player
    DE Josh Banks: JC two year bust
    DE Corey Littleton: productive player in the DE rotation
    LB Ryan McDaniel: recruited to be a RB, jury still out
    RB Erich Wilson: flameout
    Kalei Auelua: never came to UW
    P Korey Durkee: bust
    WR Kendyl Taylor: productive true frosh, RS, jury still out
    LB Blake Rodgers: flameout
    OT Nathan Dean: flameout
    WR Dwayne Washington: moved to RB, likely #1 RB in 2014
    CB Darien Washington: flameout
    QB Jeff Lindquist: going with the assumption that Miles stays ahead of him, he's a bust.

One of the QBs is a bust even the the jury is still technically out on both.

I count:

1 never enrolled

6 flameouts

5 busts

5 more likely busts

3-5 productive or likely to be productive players

1 really good player.

I only accounted for about 22 of the 25 signees. I'm not sure what to say about a few guys who haven't cracked the functional depth yet but seem like they might still have something to offer. Still, one real good player and 2-4 more productive but not special players out of 25 is horrible for a guy reputed to be a great recruiter. About 17 will be complete wastes of an LOI...out of 25.

Sarkisian apologists smugly dismiss his dumpster fire 2009 class because it wasn't fair. 2012 needs to be thrown in their face more often. The idiots were gargling his balls over it because all they saw was him stealing Tosh and a 5* safety while ignoring the rest of the lackluster effort.

Meh. I count 11 kids who've started at least one game. After just two years in the program. This class is a disappointment, but it's not a crisis. CP will find productive players in this group.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,645
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TTJ said:

chuck said:

In a word, yes, complete bust although I'm pretty sure Taylor Hindy and Corey Fuavai are going to blow up this year.

That whole fucking class is a bust and Sark's second worst. He inflated the rating by signing an extra QB who will never serve a purpose on the team and by paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to lure Shaq to UW.

OT Taylor Hindy: who?
    DE Pio Vatuvei: flameout
    CB Brandon Beaver: jury still out, passed by a scrawny true frosh for PT last year.
    CB Cleveland Wallace: flameout
    WR Jaydon Mickens: productive player
    OG Shane Brostek: leaning toward bust with wasted RS year
    S Shaq Thompson: Very good player
    K Travis Coons: JC one mediocre year and one good one filling two positions.
    QB Cyler Miles: Let's assume he's staying ahead of Lindquist = productive player jury still out
    OG Jake Eldrenkamp: jury still out
    FB Psalm Wooching: could count the total snaps this kid will see in his career on my fingers and toes
    DE Damion Turpin: who?
    C Corey Fuavai: Corey English was twice the player
    DE Josh Banks: JC two year bust
    DE Corey Littleton: productive player in the DE rotation
    LB Ryan McDaniel: recruited to be a RB, jury still out
    RB Erich Wilson: flameout
    Kalei Auelua: never came to UW
    P Korey Durkee: bust
    WR Kendyl Taylor: productive true frosh, RS, jury still out
    LB Blake Rodgers: flameout
    OT Nathan Dean: flameout
    WR Dwayne Washington: moved to RB, likely #1 RB in 2014
    CB Darien Washington: flameout
    QB Jeff Lindquist: going with the assumption that Miles stays ahead of him, he's a bust.

One of the QBs is a bust even the the jury is still technically out on both.

I count:

1 never enrolled

6 flameouts

5 busts

5 more likely busts

3-5 productive or likely to be productive players

1 really good player.

I only accounted for about 22 of the 25 signees. I'm not sure what to say about a few guys who haven't cracked the functional depth yet but seem like they might still have something to offer. Still, one real good player and 2-4 more productive but not special players out of 25 is horrible for a guy reputed to be a great recruiter. About 17 will be complete wastes of an LOI...out of 25.

Sarkisian apologists smugly dismiss his dumpster fire 2009 class because it wasn't fair. 2012 needs to be thrown in their face more often. The idiots were gargling his balls over it because all they saw was him stealing Tosh and a 5* safety while ignoring the rest of the lackluster effort.

Meh. I count 11 kids who've started at least one game. After just two years in the program. This class is a disappointment, but it's not a crisis. CP will find productive players in this group.
    I don't see 11 TTJ. List them.

If you're counting guys like Durkee and Brostek, who started as freshmen (out of pure desperation in Brostek's case), sucked, and are never going to start again, then I'm not sure what you've proven.

I wouldn't have used the word crisis, but it's a pretty piss poor class especially when you stack it against Sark's mythical recruiting prowess.

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    From all accounts I've read it seems like Hindu, Fuvai, and Brostek are the bottom 3 OLs on the team. Fuvai and Hindu never should have been offered. I still have hope that Petersen can redshirt Brostek next year and teach him some college-level technique. He could be a two year starter after Tanigawa leaves. Eldrenkamp is one of those dawgman revisionist history guys. When ever people bring up Sarks poor OL recruiting or inability to get local talent Kim says "what about Eldrenkamp?" He doesn't seem to remember that Eldrenkamp was not offered until way late in the game and that the only school we were competKing against for him was Wazzu. Kim and Scott even called Eldrenkamp "a nice player but not on UWs radar". He may turn out to be a serviceable tackle after Hatchie leaves
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    "sark can flat out recruit"
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Wait a minute... I'm told the reason the Huskies are guaranteed to win at least 10 games next year is because the awesome offensive line returns intact and will more than make up for losing a record setting 5th year QB an NFL RB and TE.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wait a minute... I'm told the reason the Huskies are guaranteed to win at least 10 games next year is because the awesome offensive line returns intact and will more than make up for losing a record setting 5th year QB an NFL RB and TE.

The 2010 class has managed to produce a serviceable group of linemen who are now extremely experienced seniors. Throw Charles in with them and you have a solid OL.

This is why you have to give Sark a pass on the failures to recruit OL in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2013. He did so good in 2010 that it just doesn't matter. Guy can flat out recruit.
  • Options
    Sure... extremely experienced seniors and still, not a one of them projects to get drafted by the NFL.
    chuck said:

The 2010 class has managed to produce a serviceable group of linemen who are now extremely experienced seniors. Throw Charles in with them and you have a solid OL.

This is why you have to give Sark a pass on the failures to recruit OL in 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2013. He did so good in 2010 that it just doesn't matter. Guy can flat out recruit.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sure... extremely experienced seniors and still, not a one of them projects to get drafted by the NFL.

chuck said:

Might be a draft pick or two there. I'm no expert. They're all decent players and I think Riva, Hatchie and Charles might have all have a shot at an NFL career. All I'm saying is that he managed to get one good (not great) OL class, and the stars have aligned in that 4 of them are playing together as seniors this coming year. A senior OL is bound to be a decent OL, especially when they all have a ton of starts under their belts.

Sark's greatness will really shine through in 2015 when we're right back to a patchwork OL. The new staff will have to perform a miracle to get the starting QB through that season alive.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Strausser may end up being a 5 star pick-up. I used to watch BSU's blitz pick-ups with envy and wondered why we couldn't block stunts too.

2015 is where things could get dicey (and why we signed 5 OL, if we count McGary)...especially if Fuvai, Hindy, and Brostek end up sucking as badly as people are suspecting they will. Charles will be an RS-SR and it sounds like Eldrenkamp, Kirkland, and Crane could be pretty good but Coleman Shelton is still all potential. There has to be some danger we will be starting 1 RS-Frosh on the OL in 2015, perhaps even two.

With Petersen and other real professionals on board now, I think we win 10 regular season games in 2014 BECAUSE of the OL (and veteran front 7 on the D).
  • Options
    GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    What OL in his right mind would want to play for Cozzetto? If you like being screamed at, join the marines and get paid....
    Our OL recruiting will pick up immediately, and those in the program now will finally get some solid coaching on pass protection. Cozzetto only knew how to scream "PUSH"! :) one direction only, forward. It did not take hold for poor Chris Polk who usually had to blast his own holes, nor for Sanky in 2012, who used his extraordinarily lateral vision to find holes where normally other backs would not see the gap. In 2013, the OL finally got decent at run blocking, but was still appalling at pass blocking.
    I fully agree that we face a major mess in 2015.
  • Options

"sark can flat out recruit"

Everyone says so. So can Tosh another everyone says so.
  • Options

chuck said:

The 2000 OL was our last great OL but if you go back and look at OL none of them really had an NFL career. A few had a cup of coffee that was about it.

That line was so good because they were well coached by Gilby and had experience. Those same lineman got Brock Huard killed two years prior in 1998.
  • Options
    fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,210
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Charles will play on Sundays ... Riva has a shot as well..
  • Options
    Charles isn't a senior.

... and unless the 2015 goes deeeeeeep at OT, it's unlikely the #58 ranked OT in the draft (Riva) will hear his name called.