Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jared Kalinić era begins

In front of 9000 crazy fans

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    So just like the Griffey era.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,394
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    From the perspective of the Mariners, there were only drawing in 9,000 fans before COVID so now they can claim sellouts and plan to have much smaller staffing levels, etc. They're probably making even more money than before COVID.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    New Era New Look Mariners look to be just as shitty as the old look Mariners
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    doogie said:

In front of 9000 crazy fans

Who?.gif

Rookie of the Year?
  • El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,085
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wonder how many chicks he banged while in the Show?
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,657
    El_K said:

Wonder how many chicks he banged while in the Show?

All of them.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He’s a dork. I don’t see it with him. He sucks until he doesn’t.

He's going to be fine.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

He's going to be fine.
    I haven’t bought the hype. I’m a Julio fan tho.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2021
    He sucks. He will be good for Tampa Bay or the A’s in 2028 for a season. He will hit around .250 with 30+ HR’s for them and go back to being bad when the next time signs him. .147 for this long of a stretch is a really bad sign.

I actually met and talked to a scout for the Angels awhile back and he said he’s overrated and had a shitty attitude. Scouts are wrong all the time, but I thought it was interesting.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    They all suck until they don't. He has dominated his whole life, and is now going through learning to play with a bat jammed up his ass (nttawwt) by ML pitching...typical young guy "hit or die" approach, he will either figure it out, or he won't. I would offer that his "shitty attitude" is a combination of ultra-competitive, super talented, arrogance, utter dis-belief that pitchers can get him out...he is lacking in processing and focusing on what he controls, which is himself. To me, sounds like every big-leaguer, ever. Learn, embrace the suck, or don't.

One of my mentors said in about '89-90 that Edgar would never hit enough to be an everyday bat...I reminded him of that at his retirement party last month...
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

They all suck until they don't. He has dominated his whole life, and is now going through learning to play with a bat jammed up his ass (nttawwt) by ML pitching...typical young guy "hit or die" approach, he will either figure it out, or he won't. I would offer that his "shitty attitude" is a combination of ultra-competitive, super talented, arrogance, utter dis-belief that pitchers can get him out...he is lacking in processing and focusing on what he controls, which is himself. To me, sounds like every big-leaguer, ever. Learn, embrace the suck, or don't.

One of my mentors said in about '89-90 that Edgar would never hit enough to be an everyday bat...I reminded him of that at his retirement party last month...

He’s going to suck. Another year of this shit and his confidence will be shot.

I’m banking on Julio. Not Kelenic. A .150 average isn’t typically the start of a Greta career. He’s had close to a half season. Not a tiny sample size.
    When young guys get called up, they get pretty much heaters center-cut, and do OK with that, and everyone gets excited. After about a month, the "book" is created, and they start getting pitched to the holes in the swing. Some adjust sooner, some later, some never. Trout hit .220, Justin Turner and Max Muncy were released, Chris Taylor was an after-thought in a trade (Yes, I follow the Dodgers).

Most of these guys don't become who they are (AKA, figure it out, or not) until they are in their mid 20's or so. Give up too soon (David Ortiz) or too late (Dustin Ackley), and I give you the Seattle Mariners.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2021
    Fishpo31 said:

When young guys get called up, they get pretty much heaters center-cut, and do OK with that, and everyone gets excited. After about a month, the "book" is created, and they start getting pitched to the holes in the swing. Some adjust sooner, some later, some never. Trout hit .220, Justin Turner and Max Muncy were released, Chris Taylor was an after-thought in a trade (Yes, I follow the Dodgers).

Most of these guys don't become who they are (AKA, figure it out, or not) until they are in their mid 20's or so. Give up too soon (David Ortiz) or too late (Dustin Ackley), and I give you the Seattle Mariners.

I get that, but .150 for half a season can’t be defended. It’s going to take a lot of improvement for him to hit .250. You are fooling yourself if you say this isn’t concerning to his long term prospects of being a good player.

The “he will be fine” stuff is bullshit. I don’t think many actually believe that beyond wanting to be optimistic. This is beyond early struggles. This is worst regular in the league.
    What I see is an inability to adjust to what pitchers are doing to him, and is making him grind harder, in the negative. When you chase hits, you chase pitches. It is a lot more mental than physical for him. Flaws appear, and are exposed. It's about the ability to make adjustments, from pitch to pitch, for a 22 year-old that has dominated his whole life. The game is too fast for him right now, and he must learn to slow it down, and that takes time. My wife's nephew got called up about a month ago to the Red Sox, and he's going through the same shit.

I'm not saying "he will be fine", I have no idea, and there are plenty of historical flame-outs to point to. What I am saying is that his physical tools cannot be taught; a solid approach to hitting can. It takes time. I also know, from experience with both, that telling a high-strung, competitive baseball player to "relax" when they are struggling produces results similar to telling your wife (or any woman) to "relax" when they are pissed.

The key to learning is to fail, get humbled, and re-calibrate...he's got the first two boxes checked, in spades.

He will get every opportunity because of his tools...I hope he figures it out.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,484
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Sat right behind the Mariners dugout when the Jays were in town a few weeks ago and this kid was meat. Looked totally out of his shoes up there….
    Doing a lot better now though
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kelenic seems to have figured some things out. He's not a write off yet Roadie!

Most elite baseball players are douche bags until they get a little older. He definitely seems to be with the majority.
    I love Kelenic.

He's going to be very good.