Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Taxes Q

FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
What kind of withholding do you guys elect? Idk if messed up or something, was doing my taxes this year and owe over $9k in fed.

@YellowSnow can you move to @creepycoug board. Picked the wrong bored

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    FireCohen said:

What kind of withholding do you guys elect? Idk if messed up or something, was doing my taxes this year and owe over $9k in fed.

I'm not the head of the Tax Bros here; but I do my own taxes so there's that.

There's no "fuck up". You just withheld too little relative to write-offs (Kramer) and deductions and you owed the Gov. more $$ during the year than was withheld. You'll pay a penalty.

I fuck this up all the tim. As long as you're not egregious it's not a big deal. Paying quarterly is a pain in the ass.
  • Options

Christ almighty

We must never judge
  • Options

FireCohen said:

There's no "fuck up". You just withheld too little relative to write-offs (Kramer) and deductions and you owed the Gov. more $$ during the year than was withheld. You'll pay a penalty.

I fuck this up all the tim. As long as you're not egregious it's not a big deal. Paying quarterly is a pain in the ass.
    Interesting, my employer does the withholding. I checked and I got no deductions so I was little surprised to see this bs, but I guess it had to do with tax laws changed that took place and they don’t withheld as much as they used to. I rather that gets spread out over 24 pay stubs than in one check
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Interesting, my employer does the withholding. I checked and I got no deductions so I was little surprised to see this bs, but I guess it had to do with tax laws changed that took place and they don’t withheld as much as they used to. I rather that gets spread out over 24 pay stubs than in one check
    You control your withholding amount vis a vis Form W-4. Claim zero deductions if you're single w/o no kids or otherwise have any dependents and you should be good ... they'll withhold the max.

That said, one of the Tax Bros. should weigh in on how they withhold on incentive comp. It's usually never enough so you have to pay. That's where most W-2 employees get an unpleasant surprise.

I'm not a tax advisor btw. When in doubt, hire one.
  • Options

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

You control your withholding amount vis a vis Form W-4. Claim zero deductions if you're single w/o no kids or otherwise have any dependents and you should be good ... they'll withhold the max.

That said, one of the Tax Bros. should weigh in on how they withhold on incentive comp. It's usually never enough so you have to pay. That's where most W-2 employees get an unpleasant surprise.

Thanks for clearing it up. I did not have issue with how much I owned. I was just pissed at my employer for withholding so little, but to your point the incentive piece is the kicker. I got promoted (I know....shocking) which led to my incentive comp doubling vs prior year. This makes much more sense to me now. Thanks creep
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

Thanks for clearing it up. I did not have issue with how much I owned. I was just pissed at my employer for withholding so little, but to your point the incentive piece is the kicker. I got promoted (I know....shocking) which led to my incentive comp doubling vs prior year. This makes much more sense to me now. Thanks creep
    Any tim.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I only owed 4. Thought it was gonna be like 7. Apparently I can't do fucking basic math on marginal tax rates.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,606
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

None. Zip. Nada.

My job is to put as much shit on my business credit card as possible. Amazing how many potential clients the Throbber eats and drinks with. And usually always on Friday and/or Saturday night.

And lots of partner meetings in exotic locations.

What is the waist to hip ratio on these so called partners
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    One of the new things that I saw this year when doing my taxes this year was the option to use my refund to buy Treasuries.

But how is the House of Cards ready to tumble????
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I got over $10k back this year which was unintentional. I try to keep my taxes owed/returned at around $1k, but my old employer took the maximum withholding on all the PTO I cashed in.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

As Creep said you control withholding with a W-4. You want extra cash now and then a balloon payment at tax time? You can do that, and you did. Most people prefer the safer option and getting a refund. Personally, I like being as close as possible despite wanting to hold on to my money a few extra months.

You also mentioned incentives. Bonuses, PTO that’s paid out, etc are taxed at a higher rate.

I remember being a youngin’ and getting my first big bonus. Changed my W-4 the following week. If your company is cool they’ll code bonuses as something else, but the bigger the company the less likely they’ll do that because someone has a bonus budget and a base payroll budget to meet in order to get their own bonus.

For next year consider charity donations. Give to the Merkin Fund, a noble cause for the alopecia community, instead of Uncle Sam. Or throw more money into your retirement/mortgage/pre-pay property tax. If you can do itemized a real accountant is worth it, because I’ve known an HR Block or some tax filers seasonal workers - she and I would go on a weekend crack bender and then she’d go to doing people’s taxes lazily. I’m not saying that she’s indicative of all of their seasonal staff, but I wouldn’t risk it. She was actually talented; just not at seasonal tax preparing. I’ve never seen someone be so efficient at loading a crack pipe, cooling it off, loading it again, and all while giving road head. I’ve never met someone like that since, partially because I no longer smoke crack and the road head lost its luster after my gf hit the transmission into neutral while I was driving 80MPH on the freeway.

Side note: Don’t take tax advice from me. The Oregon Department of Revenue, with their stupid income tax, is ruthless. One year I made a mistake on mine and underpaid by like $250. I may have been smoking crack with a girl who did taxes when I got to them on April 14th. Five years passed, I got kicker checks, worked overseas, etc. Then I get a notice of that. They tack on like $1500 of penalties with retroactive 10% interest that abracadabras it to $3k. They need the money for K-12 education, so the kids know which grade of gas I asked for.
  • Options

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

As Creep said you control withholding with a W-4. You want extra cash now and then a balloon payment at tax time? You can do that, and you did. Most people prefer the safer option and getting a refund. Personally, I like being as close as possible despite wanting to hold on to my money a few extra months.

You also mentioned incentives. Bonuses, PTO that’s paid out, etc are taxed at a higher rate.

I remember being a youngin’ and getting my first big bonus. Changed my W-4 the following week. If your company is cool they’ll code bonuses as something else, but the bigger the company the less likely they’ll do that because someone has a bonus budget and a base payroll budget to meet in order to get their own bonus.

For next year consider charity donations. Give to the Merkin Fund, a noble cause for the alopecia community, instead of Uncle Sam. Or throw more money into your retirement/mortgage/pre-pay property tax. If you can do itemized a real accountant is worth it, because I’ve known an HR Block or some tax filers seasonal workers - she and I would go on a weekend crack bender and then she’d go to doing people’s taxes lazily. I’m not saying that she’s indicative of all of their seasonal staff, but I wouldn’t risk it. She was actually talented; just not at seasonal tax preparing. I’ve never seen someone be so efficient at loading a crack pipe, cooling it off, loading it again, and all while giving road head. I’ve never met someone like that since, partially because I no longer smoke crack and the road head lost its luster after my gf hit the transmission into neutral while I was driving 80MPH on the freeway.

Side note: Don’t take tax advice from me. The Oregon Department of Revenue, with their stupid income tax, is ruthless. One year I made a mistake on mine and underpaid by like $250. I may have been smoking crack with a girl who did taxes when I got to them on April 14th. Five years passed, I got kicker checks, worked overseas, etc. Then I get a notice of that. They tack on like $1500 of penalties with retroactive 10% interest that abracadabras it to $3k. They need the money for K-12 education, so the kids know which grade of gas I asked for.
    Piss snow’s kids thank you
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You work for someone? Ew.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

FireCohen said:

In all serious , check your FICA/Medicare. Last year they government did people a solid and stopped taking out FICA tax. I think you had to opt out of if still wanted it deducted. Most people didn’t opt out. Since the IRS stopped the withholding, but not the tax, I’ve heard of people being surprised with a big bill for FICA tax that was not withheld last year. Don’t have a clue if that applies to you, but I know some who got hit with 7k ish bills
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,947
    Actually got a $16K penalty abated today by the IRS. Fuck yeah!

Dumbass tax accountant didn't file the extension. Final return. LLC doesn't even exist any longer.

Fuck tax guys. War Audit side!

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Actually got a $16K penalty abated today by the IRS. Fuck yeah!

Dumbass tax accountant didn't file the extension. Final return. LLC doesn't even exist any longer.

Fuck tax guys. War Audit side!

Tax was always the path for the accounting grads who couldn't look you in the eyes
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    This is the first time I’ve ever been alerted that I have to pay quarterly ... no explanation as to why

I suspect I will end up either getting a bunch back next year OR it’s pre-emptive asking for taxes tied to Biden’s spending