Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Another great trade by the Mariners.
  • Ron_FairlyRon_Fairly Member Posts: 368
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    yeah. The guy we traded has really tore it up with the Yankees. Oh, wait...

It's like trading Carl Bonnell and getting Ossai
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Trade was a wash. Mariners gave away a guy who was overrated, got injured, and as a result got fat. In return they got a guy who was overrated, got injured, and as a result got fat.

Honestly one of the Mariners better trades in franchise history because they didn't give up somone who could contribute for some young useless fuck who ends up on someone elses AA team.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Trade was a wash. Mariners gave away a guy who was overrated, got injured, and as a result got fat. In return they got a guy who was overrated, got injured, and as a result got fat.

Honestly one of the Mariners better trades in franchise history because they didn't give up somone who could contribute for some young useless fuck who ends up on someone elses AA team.

I don't think Pineda was overrated. Dude was good. He was just a pitcher, and pitchers tend to get hurt.

• SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Pineda had great stuff and could dominate with just his fastball. I remember scouts saying his delivery could cause problems with his arm down the line and it looks like it happened earlier than they expected.
  • Jack Z's successful trade percentage is just barely above Kim Grinolds predictions accuracy.

It's incredible there are still some out there who defend Jack Z.

The man who is great at running a farm system had just ONE player ranked in baseball america's top 100 prospects. ONE!
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Jack Z's great ... everybody Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong say so
  • Jack Z is to Bill Bavasi what Tyrone Willingham was to Keith Gilbertson. Both should have never been hired and both were on the job for far too long.
    edited February 2014

Jack Z's successful trade percentage is just barely above Kim Grinolds predictions accuracy.

The man who is great at running a farm system had just ONE player ranked in baseball america's top 100 prospects. ONE!

Wrong. He has three this year after five last year and five the year before that. Pretty sure he's never just had one top 100 guy.

Don't get me wrong, I was done with Z the second he traded Jaso for Mike Morse, but I do think hes very good at drafting and pretty good at handling a farm system. Problem is he's terrible at constructing a major league roster.

• dnc said:

Jack Z's successful trade percentage is just barely above Kim Grinolds predictions accuracy.

Wrong. He has three this year after five last year and five the year before that. Pretty sure he's never just had one top 100 guy.

Don't get me wrong, I was done with Z the second he traded Jaso for Mike Morse, but I do think hes very good at drafting and pretty good at handling a farm system. Problem is he's terrible at constructing a major league roster.

My bad meant to say top 50. Anyways, but still.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited February 2014
    Jack Z is a great GM, he's developed great young players like Ackley Smoak Saunders Montero Franklin Maurer Seager
    dhdawg said:

Jack Z is a great GM, he's developed great young players like Ackley Smoak Saunders Montero Franklin Maurer Seager

Maybe a bit too early to give up on Franklin. I think he'll have a nice career for someone else.

But yeah.

• dnc said:

dhdawg said:

Jack Z is a great GM, he's developed great young players like Ackley Smoak Saunders Montero Franklin Maurer Seager>Maybe a bit too early to give up on Franklin. I think he'll have a nice career for someone else.

But yeah.

Sad how the only position player prospects who ever amount to shit from the Mariners organization always do it somewhere else.

I believe A-Rod was the last homegrown position talent who made an all-star team with the Mariners and he's been gone since 2001. Pretty fucking sad.

*Note I forgot Jose Lopez made a fluke ASG one year but my point still stands.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited February 2014
    Disagree, he's gonna get traded to the Mets, the other team where prospects go to die, just look at Ike Davis. He'll be out of the league in 5 years, HTH
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sure Jack Z has had prospects in the top 100 in a list made by some armchair fag (75k) but none of them have turned out to be anything. Seager is the only one and I Dont think he was highly ranked.

The whole Jack Z farm system couldnt be a bigger myth, like Sark's offensive genius.
  • Sure Jack Z has had prospects in the top 100 in a list made by some armchair fag (75k) but none of them have turned out to be anything. Seager is the only one and I Dont think he was highly ranked.

The whole Jack Z farm system couldnt be a bigger myth, like Sark's offensive genius.

You don't know the damage that Bavasi has done. Jack Z is doing it the right way everyone says so.

• SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

I kind of agree with you with his drafting, though he tends to go with the safer picks (Hultzen, Zunino) when there are guys with way higher ceilings on the board. The problem is the player development in this organization is a huge negative (which Jack Z is in charge of). Ackley and Smoak were regarded as pretty much can't miss players and they have been huge busts so far. Ackley can still improve but Smoak is what he is at this point.

dnc said:

I kind of agree with you with his drafting, though he tends to go with the safer picks (Hultzen, Zunino) when there are guys with way higher ceilings on the board. The problem is the player development in this organization is a huge negative (which Jack Z is in charge of). Ackley and Smoak were regarded as pretty much can't miss players and they have been huge busts so far. Ackley can still improve but Smoak is what he is at this point.

I don't think they really go the safe route, they just go the safe route when picking in the top 5: Ackley, Hultzen and Zunino were all the allegedly safest players on the board. Ackley and Zunino were also nearly universally regarded as the best players on the board, Hultzen was the real failure.

But after that, they've gone pretty risky with their first round picks. Franklin and Walker were both roundly criticized for being way too risky, and both of those picks looks great right now. Of course, so was Steven Baron, who was exactly what the critics said he would be. Last year's second rounder, Austin Wilson, is the ultimate boom-bust pick, at least as far as college players go. Tons of talent, very unskilled. He could be an all-star or never get past double-A.

They're not afraid to swing for the fences, they're just hesitant to do it at the very top of the draft.

I definitely agree with you on the player development side of it. Ackley, and Montero were top 5 to 10 prospects in the game virtually their entire time in the minors, and Smoak was 10-25. Going 0-3 on those three is just inexcusable.

With Montero and Smoak, I think it's fair to question the scouting as much as the development though. Have they failed to develop as they should, or was there a flaw there that made their prior organizations willing to deal them and Z was the sucker who bit?

Either way, I'm ready for a house cleaning. Fuck Armstrong, fuck Z, fuck everybody.

edited February 2014

Sure Jack Z has had prospects in the top 100 in a list made by some armchair fag (75k) but none of them have turned out to be anything. Seager is the only one and I Dont think he was highly ranked.

I don't think this is very accurate. Smoak and Montero were acquired to come straight to the bigs, they weren't farm system failures. Hultzen got hurt, it happens. Ackley's the only one of the big Jack Z minor league prospects who has flamed out and Seager basically makes up for him.

The jury is still out on Walker, Franklin, Miller, Zunino and Hultzen. Jack's drafting legacy will be determined by how those guys produce. Miller looked like a 4.0 WAR SS last year, and there are reasons to think Franklin and Zunino will perform well. If Walker's injury isn't serious he should be a stud. I'm less optimistic about Hultzen.

The farm system has been very strong in Z's time here, and it's starting to pay dividends. You've got a 5 WAR 3B and a potential 4-5 WAR SS after the first round.

The issue, again, is development. Zunino had no business being the starting catcher last year, time will tell if they ruined him or not. Z (or moreso his amateur scouting director McNamara) has an eye for talent in the HS and college ranks though. Z's team is just clueless when it comes to big leaguers.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    @dnc sure does like to kill a lot of electrons talking about a shit tier baseball franchise.