Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jackson Stratton, 2022 3* QB, La Jolla (HS), CA (Committed)

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11092924/607f09d9ab92961804fea263

He's definitely not bad. At this point he's probably the best non committed QB we could get

Jeez man I'm surprised more people aren't raving about his highlights. He's somewhere between Colson Yankoff and Cyler Miles as a runner, and that's good, but has plus arm strength. He also throws from different angles as the situation calls for, all with a quick release and velocity. He also throws some nice rainbows that drop right in.

I dont see anything not to like. I'd be happy with him even if a top QB was considered a big priority this year.
    Yankoff seemed so fucking good based on his Hudl.

The problem with Hudl is that it’s just a few minutes of highlights. I was a good (but white and slow) high school player, but my Hudl would have made me look like a legit baller. Any decent player looks good based on their 20 best plays.

Some guys are so good, a Hudl is all you need to see. For most recruits tho, you won’t be able to form an educated opinion unless you watch the Hudl, see some testing numbers, look at their stats, and guess how tapped out their potential is.

Truly elite guys are easy to see, but there is such a glut of guys in the 3 and 4 star rankings and evaluating those guys properly is crucial to a program like UW. A lot of those guys are over ranked because of their relationship with the TBS rankers, their high school team, inflated production, etc. 4 star guys without commutable offers from the elite schools seem to almost always suck.
  • BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I watched his hudl, probably the best we were likely to get this year. Some good film, he was bailed out a few times by his receivers with some really nice grabs. With a strong SR season I could see him bumped up to a 4 star
  • BonedogBonedog Member Posts: 650
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    He sucks until he doesn’t suck
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    This guy will beat out Huard in a couple years.

Itsthescript.gif
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This kid is good. If we’re taking lower rate guys i’m taking a kid like this over a Haener 10 out of 10 times.

It sounds like his story is this:
    -didnt really play much as a sophomore
    -had an amazing junior covid season

Biggins bumped him from an unknown to the #34 qb based on his Jr season. Said he could grt another big bump if he continues to impress
    From what I've read it sounds like he got way bigger in a year and that had a lot to do with his improvement.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

We were never getting a big time QB with Morris (still a R-FR) and 5* Huard coming in the year before.

Have no idea if this guy is good, but if he even has legitimate P5 talent, it’s a win.

Exactly

If you get a QB in this class that is willing to work hard, develop so that IF his number is called he is ready, but embraces the playing school aspect so that he stays on the roster for 3-4 years (sort of like Magna Carta) ... that’s a win

Problem with all of the transferring, particularly with QBs, is that there are only so many starting jobs out there
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

chuck said:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11092924/607f09d9ab92961804fea263

He's definitely not bad. At this point he's probably the best non committed QB we could get

Jeez man I'm surprised more people aren't raving about his highlights. He's somewhere between Colson Yankoff and Cyler Miles as a runner, and that's good, but has plus arm strength. He also throws from different angles as the situation calls for, all with a quick release and velocity. He also throws some nice rainbows that drop right in.

I dont see anything not to like. I'd be happy with him even if a top QB was considered a big priority this year.
    Yankoff seemed so fucking good based on his Hudl.

The problem with Hudl is that it’s just a few minutes of highlights. I was a good (but white and slow) high school player, but my Hudl would have made me look like a legit baller. Any decent player looks good based on their 20 best plays.

Some guys are so good, a Hudl is all you need to see. For most recruits tho, you won’t be able to form an educated opinion unless you watch the Hudl, see some testing numbers, look at their stats, and guess how tapped out their potential is.

Truly elite guys are easy to see, but there is such a glut of guys in the 3 and 4 star rankings and evaluating those guys properly is crucial to a program like UW. A lot of those guys are over ranked because of their relationship with the TBS rankers, their high school team, inflated production, etc. 4 star guys without commutable offers from the elite schools seem to almost always suck.
    This is why for most players I don’t look at the surface level stuff ...

For a QB can you play with nuance (for example don’t state down your receivers) and can you throw a ball that receivers catch in stride

For RBs it’s do you have vision and whether or not you dance (works in HS but rarely in college) or are you willing to plant your foot, lower the pads, and get north/south (one of the reasons I loved Sunday’s film)

For DL/OLBs it’s do you show hustle and keep pursuing the play even when it’s being run away from you

Being successful at the highest level is executing the fundamentals over and over at the highest of levels
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I really like his hudl, actually. Getting him in a year where we weren't going to get a highly rated kid is kind of huge.

You never know how QBs are gonna pan out, but this kid for sure has a chance to be a starter.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Thread delivered
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

This kid is good. If we’re taking lower rate guys i’m taking a kid like this over a Haener 10 out of 10 times.

It sounds like his story is this:
    -didnt really play much as a sophomore
    -had an amazing junior covid season

Biggins bumped him from an unknown to the #34 qb based on his Jr season. Said he could grt another big bump if he continues to impress
    The huge improvement from sophomore to junior year is a good sign. The highlights looked good too. He looks like he has a good arm. I don’t hate the pick up at all.
    Waiting till he enrolls