Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Advice on Buying Land/Building a House

whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,711 Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
I've had the idea for a little while now and only started browsing what's available in KingCo (suburbs). I know timber prices are climbing, so I wouldn't look to build right away, so maybe just grab something soon and then really plan things out.

Not sure if I'll do it or not, but I wanted to hear from anyone who has done it, thought about done it, or decided against it.

Comments

• dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,780 Swaye's Wigwam

What, specifically, would you like to know? I've done it, but it was six years ago, a different county, I did 80% of the work, etc. Everyone's experience will be different depending on market, location, quality builder and/or subs, etc. If you'd like some tips for efficient/long lasting construction techniques, I can point you toward some things. If you'd like horror stories about suddenly discovered "wetlands" derailing your project for a whole year, I can help there, too. If you'd like to learn about a toilet that will reliably flush an elephant shit, I can point you in the right direction.

Please point to said toilet. My wife and I alternate days unclogging toilets. Elephant shits.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,049 Founders Club
    edited May 2021

I've had the idea for a little while now and only started browsing what's available in KingCo (suburbs). I know timber prices are climbing, so I wouldn't look to build right away, so maybe just grab something soon and then really plan things out.

Not sure if I'll do it or not, but I wanted to hear from anyone who has done it, thought about done it, or decided against it.

There is really a lot to unpack here, of which a lot is dependent on your goals.

First questions are how much land do you want? and how far in-out of town do you want to be?

Are you looking for an improved lot? Meaning: does it have utilities in place, or are you prepared to get them there? Sewer or septic?

From there, the most important thing is: is the lot buildable? Are there wetlands or critical slope to worry about? Will the governing municipality even let you build what it is you want?

There are almost an endless number of questions. Add nuances to each question thereto.

Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKhX9adzG9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWAWHjJMrrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev3XI7qEJ0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phv3i1ZmxNs

*I have not watched any of these, they were just at the top of the Ewetoobs.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,711 Swaye's Wigwam

What, specifically, would you like to know? I've done it, but it was six years ago, a different county, I did 80% of the work, etc. Everyone's experience will be different depending on market, location, quality builder and/or subs, etc. If you'd like some tips for efficient/long lasting construction techniques, I can point you toward some things. If you'd like horror stories about suddenly discovered "wetlands" derailing your project for a whole year, I can help there, too. If you'd like to learn about a toilet that will reliably flush an elephant shit, I can point you in the right direction.

What I'd be curious about was what factors led you to the decision to buy land/build a house instead of buy a house and the decision to do 80% of the work instead of hiring a builder. I could never dream of doing that work myself, so I'll need to have a builder do that and all the subcontracting, which I know will be expensive but less risky.

The second thing I'm interested in is relative value between building a new home and a new construction. I'm really in an exploratory phase, looking around at neighborhoods with land open to acreage properties to new constructions. I'm not in any rush to buy a new home or move, especially considering the inflated market in KingCo.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,711 Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

There is really a lot to unpack here, of which a lot is dependent on your goals.

First questions are how much land do you want? and how far in-out of town do you want to be?

Are you looking for an improved lot? Meaning: does it have utilities in place, or are you prepared to get them there? Sewer or septic?

From there, the most important thing is: is the lot buildable? Are there wetlands or critical slope to worry about? Will the governing municipality even let you build what it is you want?

There are almost an endless number of questions. Add nuances to each question thereto.

Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKhX9adzG9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWAWHjJMrrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev3XI7qEJ0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phv3i1ZmxNs

*I have not watched any of these, they were just at the top of the Ewetoobs.
    Pref less than an acre, distance to town isn't a factor but most of the lots I've looked at are within city limits, improve lot would be ideal with sewer. I've looked at some places by wetlands and with slopes, but they have adjacent homes. Have no clue what building permits/zoning/height restrictions would be in place given all of the different municipalities in KingCo, but that'd be on my list to research.

I'll check out these videos tonight.

City boy shows up in a new area and sees a nice piece of land (17 beautiful acres with scenic vistas for a view), walks it endlessly and sees no possible issues ~ multiple good locations to site a custom house, has plenty of construction experience, very familiar with zoning and the permitting process... what could possibly go wrong?

So it turns out that the land that we were in contract with is plagued with never ending issues that were not disclosed to us... a big surprise was on the horizon for us that we were fortunate to avoid.

The story was that seller lives out of the area, had inherited the land from her deceased husband that had inherited the land from his family ~ and reportedly, no-one in the family had lived on the property for a generation or more, so the seller represents that they know virtually nothing about
    the property except that it has been in the family for 75 years. (A giant lie)

On day two of the contract period, the next door neighbor to our daughter that lives in the area heard that we were buying the property across the street and sounded the alarm to our daughter about the dreaded Tiger Salamander Conservation zone issue for the area that the land is part of, and warns that it might have some effect regarding our ability to build on the property.

So we get calls to advise me of the neighbors concern and I think to myself, how big of a problem could that possibly be? No big deal right?

So I look up the issue and start to do research on the subject and it turns out that yes, the property [and all of the property in the surrounding area] is located in this designated conservation zone and that the area had only recently [2011] been reclassified into that category.

Turns out that virtually all of the structures that populated the area [very low density rural] had been permitted and constructed prior to the recharacterization, but if you just drove into the area and looked around you would never guess that there is any kind of limitation issue.

So, to get around the issue, apparently all you have to do is hire a geologist & botanist (?!) to come and survey the property and write a report that claims that your building project will have no effect on the habitat and migration patterns of the dreaded Tiger Salamander population that the various state and federal environmentalists have apparently fought to the death to defend. {and then hope that works, because if it doesn't you are in for possibly several years of environmental mitigation studies to decide what if anything you can build on the land]

So we look into the habitat and migration of the lizards in question, read the discussion of the required "vernal pools" [whatever that is] that they need to hatch and spawn, and read that they then migrate within1.3 miles to reside in burrows that ground squirrels and gophers dig and abandon.

Apparently, no-one ever sees these critters because they live underground, only come out at night periodically, and only migrate to the vernal pool in the late fall for a couple of week period before heading back to the burrow.

So we look around the property and are relieved to note that their are no apparent gopher holes, although we do know that our daughter's property is loaded with gopher holes, but hey, that doesn't matter in this situation. And fortunately, the property does not contain any "vernal pools" that we can see, nor do any of the surrounding lots in the area, and we feel like we would know because we have been visiting the property across the street to see our daughter regularly since we moved here 9 months ago.

What we didn't know and what was not disclosed to us, nor was it in the parcel disclosures, is that the middle 4-6 acres of the property floods regularly during the usual rainy season here, and that the depth of the pool that is formed in 1-2 feet deep and about 3 acres wide, forming a huge water feature which is present from the late October / November period all the way through to as late as July in a more "normal" year. We don’t know this because last fall and ever sense we have been in the area we have been in a drought and consequently there has been no standing water on the property this year.

That description turns out to be the classic definition of a "vernal pool", the ideal habitat for the destination of migrating lizards within the surrounding area. Too funny. It also brings into clarity the depth of the water table vs a perk test for the porperty which is quite obviously different than the 50 feet level that we had previously measured at our daughter’s nearby property during the purchase of that property a year ago

So we dodged a bullet.

Turns out that even though nothing regarding restrictions shows up on any of the parcel discussion and title reports, and if you call the zoning department regarding permits they simply advise you that you are free to build x number of structures per parcel with no limitations, the truth is the area is subject to an undisclosed fish and wildlife enforced wildlife use easement that you are required to clear via the mitigation study and and payola route [if you are successful], all of which is elliptical, expensive and time consuming ~ with no guaranteed outcome.

The capper is that the "mitigation" fee is assessed on a case by case basis and can as high as $200,000 per acre... funds raised are a primary source employed to create natural habitat preserves to conserve the threatened species.

Lovely.

Anyway, good times, we were fortunate to have been alerted and to be able to come to the correct conclusions prior to having to sue for material misrepresentation / failure to disclose at a later date.

The world is a wondrous place. Buyer beware, interview the neighbors, don’t just rely on title reports or sellers disclosures, do your homework, and good luck to you.

Thanks for the story and the moral of really doing the research on the property before buying. I guess that's one of the benefits of a new construction is knowing that some of those issues are resolved prior to developers even considering to build.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,684 Founders Club
    Well sometimes you don't have a lot of time [or any] before you pull the trigger on something super attractive, so make sure to write into the contract the contingency that provides enough time to sort out your potential issues, and then do the work of it.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,049 Founders Club

Well sometimes you don't have a lot of time [or any] before you pull the trigger on something super attractive, so make sure to write into the contract the contingency that provides enough time to sort out your potential issues, and then do the work of it.

Feasibility.

To determine what you might pay for a plot of dirt, builders often use the rule of thirds. Until recently the theory held that what a builder would pay for improved dirt wold be one/third the cost of the finished product. 1/3 for dirt, 1/3 building/construction cost and the final-third for marketing, selling costs and profit.One builder in West Bellevue wouldn't pay more than 30% for a buildible lot.

Obviously an end-user can afford to pay more for dirt because they have a lot of room to play with given the freedom from the final 1/3rd.

Best advice is to focus on finding an already improved lot. Having to do the improving can be very tricky. There are plenty of Salamander stories to go around. 100.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,629 Founders Club
    I posted a story on the tug about a distribution center in Moreno Valley (scrubland) that was proposed in 2012.

Approved in 2015.

Since then has been in negotiations with "environmentalists"

6 years later and a 47 million dollar check and ground can be broken.

Imagine the holding costs so far

This isn't housing but still revealing
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,528 Swaye's Wigwam

What I'd be curious about was what factors led you to the decision to buy land/build a house instead of buy a house and the decision to do 80% of the work instead of hiring a builder. I could never dream of doing that work myself, so I'll need to have a builder do that and all the subcontracting, which I know will be expensive but less risky.

The second thing I'm interested in is relative value between building a new home and a new construction. I'm really in an exploratory phase, looking around at neighborhoods with land open to acreage properties to new constructions. I'm not in any rush to buy a new home or move, especially considering the inflated market in KingCo.

I've never built an actual house. I bought my house, though, with enough property that I'd be able to someday build a shop onsite. When the old, small existing shop burned down, I used the lack of shop and insurance money as motivation to get started. That being said, Washington is one of two states (Massachusetts) that require even accessory buildings to meet energy code if they are heated. And bathrooms must be heated. And I wanted a bathroom. So, short of building a kitchen, pretty much everything you'd do to build a house went into it. For all intents and purposes, it was a house build.

I did most of the work myself for two reasons:
    1.) Insurance money wasn't much, and I wanted more than I could afford.
    2.) Nobody even wanted to give me a bid for doing it "right." If they couldn't slap it together in a shitty manner that would fall apart, not interested or "fuck off" astronomical bid.

To that latter point, there is a right way and a wrong way to do everything. The right way is usually more time/labor consuming, and the wrong way is usually cheap and fast. Furthermore, building science has really evolved in the last couple of decades. There are new products and materials and techniques that have really changed the game. Most builders are still doing things the same way they did things in the '80s and '90s. I see it when I walk through these high end neighborhoods that are going up the hill from me. Shake my head at how much they're asking for homes that will rot.

I hired three subs. Foundation/slab, roof, and mud/tape/texture. Those were the three things in my build that were fucked up. There's that old saying "If you want something done right..."

I'm not sure I can offer much advise right now as to the value of buying vs. building. Lumber yards are stacked to the rafters with product, so my guess is it's the high price of existing real estate keeping the cost of lumber sky high. A lumber package for a new build or remodel doesn't have to be cheap, just cheaper than buying a place on the market. Builders and subs are basically naming their price, too (highly recommended plumber came by end of December and gave me a $5800 bid for work my shitty-plumber ass did in 8 hours and with less than $200 in pipe and fittings). Still, if I were to move, I'd do whatever I could to try building a place vs. buying so I could work with a builder to make sure it's done right.

@DawgsCanDance is spot on with buildable land horror stories. Mine was more annoying than deal-breaking: When I submitted the permit application for building the shop, the county came out to do a site inspection. They were fine with the shop's building site but PISSED about the little dirt bike track I had built in the back of the property seven years earlier. Apparently, they saw the little seasonal stormwater creek that used to run through the neighboring property in the wet season but now exists in some form most of the year due to all the development up the hill as a "wetland" even though no authority had ever designated it as such. "Illegal clearing of a wetland buffer zone" was subject to fines, and I'd have to mitigate before the county would proceed with the building permitting process. What followed was a yearlong battle culminating in being forced to hire a team of wetland biologists to file a report proving my "clearing" wasn't damaging shit and that the opposite corner of my property could be used for "buffer averaging," rendering it off-limits for future clearing or development. Cost a couple thousand dollars.

On the bright side, I'm barely outside of city limits, so that saved me a TON of money. Just a few hundred feet over, and my permit may have cost $30K instead of less than $3K. That's why I suggest you look into permitting fees and requirements for the area in which you're interested in building, as these can vary wildly.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    edited May 2021
    If you begin your process with “all the easy raw land to build on has been built on already” you’ll save yourself a lot of time and money.

Sit down with the https://www.ubuildit.com/ folks. You’ll learn a lot in the process.

Buying raw land to build on “someday” is usually a poor investment after carrying costs are considered.

Don’t start by getting a floor plan off the internet and pestering subcontractors for bids you’re gonna try and hold them to three years from now.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,986

City boy shows up in a new area and sees a nice piece of land (17 beautiful acres with scenic vistas for a view), walks it endlessly and sees no possible issues ~ multiple good locations to site a custom house, has plenty of construction experience, very familiar with zoning and the permitting process... what could possibly go wrong?

So it turns out that the land that we were in contract with is plagued with never ending issues that were not disclosed to us... a big surprise was on the horizon for us that we were fortunate to avoid.

The story was that seller lives out of the area, had inherited the land from her deceased husband that had inherited the land from his family ~ and reportedly, no-one in the family had lived on the property for a generation or more, so the seller represents that they know virtually nothing about
    the property except that it has been in the family for 75 years. (A giant lie)

On day two of the contract period, the next door neighbor to our daughter that lives in the area heard that we were buying the property across the street and sounded the alarm to our daughter about the dreaded Tiger Salamander Conservation zone issue for the area that the land is part of, and warns that it might have some effect regarding our ability to build on the property.

So we get calls to advise me of the neighbors concern and I think to myself, how big of a problem could that possibly be? No big deal right?

So I look up the issue and start to do research on the subject and it turns out that yes, the property [and all of the property in the surrounding area] is located in this designated conservation zone and that the area had only recently [2011] been reclassified into that category.

Turns out that virtually all of the structures that populated the area [very low density rural] had been permitted and constructed prior to the recharacterization, but if you just drove into the area and looked around you would never guess that there is any kind of limitation issue.

So, to get around the issue, apparently all you have to do is hire a geologist & botanist (?!) to come and survey the property and write a report that claims that your building project will have no effect on the habitat and migration patterns of the dreaded Tiger Salamander population that the various state and federal environmentalists have apparently fought to the death to defend. {and then hope that works, because if it doesn't you are in for possibly several years of environmental mitigation studies to decide what if anything you can build on the land]

So we look into the habitat and migration of the lizards in question, read the discussion of the required "vernal pools" [whatever that is] that they need to hatch and spawn, and read that they then migrate within1.3 miles to reside in burrows that ground squirrels and gophers dig and abandon.

Apparently, no-one ever sees these critters because they live underground, only come out at night periodically, and only migrate to the vernal pool in the late fall for a couple of week period before heading back to the burrow.

So we look around the property and are relieved to note that their are no apparent gopher holes, although we do know that our daughter's property is loaded with gopher holes, but hey, that doesn't matter in this situation. And fortunately, the property does not contain any "vernal pools" that we can see, nor do any of the surrounding lots in the area, and we feel like we would know because we have been visiting the property across the street to see our daughter regularly since we moved here 9 months ago.

What we didn't know and what was not disclosed to us, nor was it in the parcel disclosures, is that the middle 4-6 acres of the property floods regularly during the usual rainy season here, and that the depth of the pool that is formed in 1-2 feet deep and about 3 acres wide, forming a huge water feature which is present from the late October / November period all the way through to as late as July in a more "normal" year. We don’t know this because last fall and ever sense we have been in the area we have been in a drought and consequently there has been no standing water on the property this year.

That description turns out to be the classic definition of a "vernal pool", the ideal habitat for the destination of migrating lizards within the surrounding area. Too funny. It also brings into clarity the depth of the water table vs a perk test for the porperty which is quite obviously different than the 50 feet level that we had previously measured at our daughter’s nearby property during the purchase of that property a year ago

So we dodged a bullet.

Turns out that even though nothing regarding restrictions shows up on any of the parcel discussion and title reports, and if you call the zoning department regarding permits they simply advise you that you are free to build x number of structures per parcel with no limitations, the truth is the area is subject to an undisclosed fish and wildlife enforced wildlife use easement that you are required to clear via the mitigation study and and payola route [if you are successful], all of which is elliptical, expensive and time consuming ~ with no guaranteed outcome.

The capper is that the "mitigation" fee is assessed on a case by case basis and can as high as $200,000 per acre... funds raised are a primary source employed to create natural habitat preserves to conserve the threatened species.

Lovely.

Anyway, good times, we were fortunate to have been alerted and to be able to come to the correct conclusions prior to having to sue for material misrepresentation / failure to disclose at a later date.

The world is a wondrous place. Buyer beware, interview the neighbors, don’t just rely on title reports or sellers disclosures, do your homework, and good luck to you.

This is fucking classic. Vernal pools, btw, have obstructed very large and ambitious projects of which I've been a part. They are simply depressions in the earth that seasonally fill with water, and some animals use them in concert with their breeding season, and basically you can't fill the depression. Vernal pools are sneaky little devils and pools much less than 3 feet deep have ultimately crashed projects that were going to involve 100s of millions of dollars.

Vernal pools are quite commonly a wildlife/development problem in New England.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,528 Swaye's Wigwam

Please point to said toilet. My wife and I alternate days unclogging toilets. Elephant shits.
    American Standard makes several. The O.G. was the Cadet 3. Has a 3" flush valve instead of the traditional 2". There are YouTube videos of people flushing buckets of golf balls down one of those fuckers. I think the Champion 4 has a 4" flush valve and jet assist. Look into it!

As a young firebrand I thought that zoning laws were unamerican because its my property man. I didn't own any because I was in high school but still. Then you get old enough to buy a house or land and you appreciate that Al's Wrecking Yard can't go in next doors. So I'm OK with local zoning. Where to put the strip clubs and where is single family and where is multi etcetera. But you kind of need to stick with the plan which goes against the permanent nature of any government agency like a zoning commission. They need to keep justifying their existence

I remember when Forward Thrust (lol) was passed because Lake Washington was an open sewer. Lakes and rivers across this land were polluted and Lake Erie caught fire

Environmental science and clean air and water were GOOD for America. We? really did clean a lot of things up out there. And we still don't want a 200 house development built with Lake Washington as its sewer.

But when theses laws are used simply to stop development or make it cost prohibitive to build because of a seasonal mud puddle you lose a lot of support.

These are not intractable either or issues. But of course we? have pretty much made them so.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIS.

I like building code. I like zoning laws. I like energy code. It mostly saves people from themselves. It's human nature to be shortsighted, so most will save a penny now to spend hundreds over time or do something unsafe. I like that--for the most part--you can buy a house that was recently built, and at least it won't be a death trap.

BUT...

I've done a lot of complaining in the recent past about the hard line nature of some of these rules. Building a shopping mall? Pay $5K for soil infiltration and water table tests, pay another $5K for an engineered stormwater management system plan. Building a 501 square foot addition to your house in Whatcom County? Pay $5K for soil infiltration and water table tests, pay another $5K for an engineered stormwater management system plan. It's ludicrous.

The best was when the guy from the county rolled up in September for an impromptu visit. I happened to be outside nailing up siding. He said he was just dropping by as a courtesy to remind everyone with an open permit that the seasonal watershed land disturbance ban was going to begin in a few days. Because I'm an idiot and didn't know better, I responded with something like, "Oh, I'm all done disturbing land for the year. Other than maybe the driveway, I guess."

His eyes perk up, and he's like, "Your driveway?"

Me: "Yeah, I had to break it up to get plumbing and conduit under it, so I was thinking of replacing it."

County Dude: "But you don't have a permit for that."

Me: "I don't need a permit. I'm replacing in kind. It's just maintenance."

County dude: "You still have to permit that for stormwater feasibility."

Me: "Why? There will be zero impact on stormwater runoff. Besides, I'm not expanding by more than 500 square feet."

County dude: "Yes, the rules are different for replacement. Expanding your impervious surfaces by more than 500 square feet requires an engineered stormwater management plan. Replacing impervious surfaces larger than 1500 square feet is the same requirement.

Me (to myself): "Well fuck me for opening my mouth..."

Anyway, although there are examples above that would suggest it's hard no matter how deep your pockets, it seems at least where I'm at that the solution to zoning/feasibility requirements is money. It's a drop in the bucket to build an engineered retention pond when you're throwing up 50 McMansions (which must not even work or I wouldn't be swimming in water like I wasn't for the first several years after moving in), but that kind of thing can be a dealbreaker when it comes to building a single family home.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,780 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2021

American Standard makes several. The O.G. was the Cadet 3. Has a 3" flush valve instead of the traditional 2". There are YouTube videos of people flushing buckets of golf balls down one of those fuckers. I think the Champion 4 has a 4" flush valve and jet assist. Look into it!
    TYFYS

Geez...
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,986
    edited May 2021

Only in the Club can we have in sequential posts high-level property rights thoughts from @RaceBannon immediately transition to the toilet that can flush the biggest turd.

What have you created here @DerekJohnson ?

At least numbers @1to392831weretaken got back on track.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,629 Founders Club

As a young firebrand I thought that zoning laws were unamerican because its my property man. I didn't own any because I was in high school but still. Then you get old enough to buy a house or land and you appreciate that Al's Wrecking Yard can't go in next doors. So I'm OK with local zoning. Where to put the strip clubs and where is single family and where is multi etcetera. But you kind of need to stick with the plan which goes against the permanent nature of any government agency like a zoning commission. They need to keep justifying their existence

I remember when Forward Thrust (lol) was passed because Lake Washington was an open sewer. Lakes and rivers across this land were polluted and Lake Erie caught fire

Environmental science and clean air and water were GOOD for America. We? really did clean a lot of things up out there. And we still don't want a 200 house development built with Lake Washington as its sewer.

But when theses laws are used simply to stop development or make it cost prohibitive to build because of a seasonal mud puddle you lose a lot of support.

These are not intractable either or issues. But of course we? have pretty much made them so.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIS.

I like building code. I like zoning laws. I like energy code. It mostly saves people from themselves. It's human nature to be shortsighted, so most will save a penny now to spend hundreds over time or do something unsafe. I like that--for the most part--you can buy a house that was recently built, and at least it won't be a death trap.

BUT...

I've done a lot of complaining in the recent past about the hard line nature of some of these rules. Building a shopping mall? Pay $5K for soil infiltration and water table tests, pay another $5K for an engineered stormwater management system plan. Building a 501 square foot addition to your house in Whatcom County? Pay $5K for soil infiltration and water table tests, pay another $5K for an engineered stormwater management system plan. It's ludicrous.

The best was when the guy from the county rolled up in September for an impromptu visit. I happened to be outside nailing up siding. He said he was just dropping by as a courtesy to remind everyone with an open permit that the seasonal watershed land disturbance ban was going to begin in a few days. Because I'm an idiot and didn't know better, I responded with something like, "Oh, I'm all done disturbing land for the year. Other than maybe the driveway, I guess."

His eyes perk up, and he's like, "Your driveway?"

Me: "Yeah, I had to break it up to get plumbing and conduit under it, so I was thinking of replacing it."

County Dude: "But you don't have a permit for that."

Me: "I don't need a permit. I'm replacing in kind. It's just maintenance."

County dude: "You still have to permit that for stormwater feasibility."

Me: "Why? There will be zero impact on stormwater runoff. Besides, I'm not expanding by more than 500 square feet."

County dude: "Yes, the rules are different for replacement. Expanding your impervious surfaces by more than 500 square feet requires an engineered stormwater management plan. Replacing impervious surfaces larger than 1500 square feet is the same requirement.

Me (to myself): "Well fuck me for opening my mouth..."

Anyway, although there are examples above that would suggest it's hard no matter how deep your pockets, it seems at least where I'm at that the solution to zoning/feasibility requirements is money. It's a drop in the bucket to build an engineered retention pond when you're throwing up 50 McMansions (which must not even work or I wouldn't be swimming in water like I wasn't for the first several years after moving in), but that kind of thing can be a dealbreaker when it comes to building a single family home.
    My first thought when the railroad bridge collapsed in Mexico City was thank goodness for first world building codes and inspections in America. Same with earthquakes and natural disasters. I'm all in but you describe quite nicely the insanity of going too far.

I was at a planning department to pick up a permit for a bank job and was in line behind some poor soul who was trying to do it the right way on a minor home remodel. Turns out his back hallway in his existing home is too narrow now. That was only the start. I just rolled my eyes.
    Definitely new favorite thread here. All it's missing is some Pumpeii rimjob advice.