Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

CDA running away with the Natty

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,886
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    It's fucking insane. Little tiny shitty houses going for $400K.

Spokane isn't quite as bad but close. Somewhere between 10 and 30 offers coming in on every house up for sale. Had heard horror stories of $200K houses getting bid up $100K.

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The Median US home price recently hit $320,000 according to Redfin. A new record.

The median household income in the US is about 68k/year.

I’m a good capitalist as much as the other members of @creepycoug’s club, but this trajectory really frightens me.

Having houses in Eastern WA or Idaho being half a mil is nuts.

But here we are.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

The Median US home price recently hit $320,000 according to Redfin. A new record.

I’m a good capitalist as much as the other members of @creepycoug’s club, but this trajectory really frightens me.

But here we are.

That's because you have a brain and realize it's unsustainable. At least, that's what @HoustonHusky would say.

A las, when property runs like that and it's near a lot of wealth-generating activity - hate it if you will, Seattle is one such place - then there is something to consider. People want to be in the greater Seattle area regardless of what the Tug bros wish was the case.

But when shit like this is happening in places people are just "running to", I think there is more risk. There are other bubbles too. Miami beach was a bubble in 2007 & 2008. It got frothy "just because", and then the froth was built on froth, and that was built on yet more froth, and then people started saying, "Ok, it's nice, but what the fuck else you gonna do here?" It's not like buying a $1,000,000 house 25 blocks from Expedia HQ. That kind of thing is risky bisky. Mark down that I said that and watch what happens when rates click back up to the 4s and 5s. Some markets will have people with the money to keep buying and financing; others will blow up.

@Pawz is our man here.
  • Options

But here we are.

That's because you have a brain and realize it's unsustainable. At least, that's what @HoustonHusky would say.

A las, when property runs like that and it's near a lot of wealth-generating activity - hate it if you will, Seattle is one such place - then there is something to consider. People want to be in the greater Seattle area regardless of what the Tug bros wish was the case.

But when shit like this is happening in places people are just "running to", I think there is more risk. There are other bubbles too. Miami beach was a bubble in 2007 & 2008. It got frothy "just because", and then the froth was built on froth, and that was built on yet more froth, and then people started saying, "Ok, it's nice, but what the fuck else you gonna do here?" It's not like buying a $1,000,000 house 25 blocks from Expedia HQ. That kind of thing is risky bisky. Mark down that I said that and watch what happens when rates click back up to the 4s and 5s. Some markets will have people with the money to keep buying and financing; others will blow up.

@Pawz is our man here.
    And I like CDA, btw. But at some point, when whatever trend is trending it to the moon has passed, I wonder what will happen when everyone stands around and looks at each other and remembers they're in Idaho. Some special places have staying power ... e.g. Bozeman, MT. Some don't.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

But here we are.

@Pawz is our man here.
    Thumbs up, but I’d add I don’t see how rates get back up to 4 or 5% because the whole system blows up if/when it happens..the govt can’t print that much money for interest payments and most of the housing markets will crash.

It will get eventually get ugly, but still think we are on the early part of the Fed crack bender...think it will get really wacky before whatever reset happens.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

But here we are.

@Pawz is our man here.
    yeah, soy boys and fugly muff divers
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    I don’t think people quite realize the evolution coming...we are moving back to the 70s in several ways. One will be that the cities are going to return to being shiteholes again...there will be a fleeing for the ‘burbs/sane areas in the next couple of years...we are just on the front end of the curve now.

Look at the Seattle Police Department...everyone there is fleeing. It won’t be instantaneous, but crime and general undesirable living conditions will follow and with that the $$$ will leave even faster which will have a cascading impact. The state govt will bail them out for a while but it won’t be a long-term fix.
  • Options

But here we are.

@Pawz is our man here.
    And I like CDA, btw. But at some point, when whatever trend is trending it to the moon has passed, I wonder what will happen when everyone stands around and looks at each other and remembers they're in Idaho. Some special places have staying power ... e.g. Bozeman, MT. Some don't.
    It’s all about the amenities. The towns that have them in spades have the most staying power.

My parents bought their house in Park City in 2003 for $400k. Would sell now for over $1.7 million. Park City has amenities coming out the the ying Yang.

And that’s what boggles my mind about Coeur d Alene. Have spent virtually my entire life in the area and, quite honestly, Sandpoint fits the bill better. Bigger lake, more accessible skiing, way less annoying tourists. Solid golfing.

Sherman Ave is cool and tons of dining/bars but see also annoying tourists. I’d pick Sandpoint if I had to live in/near either city.

Annoying tourists and Californians killed the charm of CDA of my youth.

If one really wanted to get back to authentic, move to Wallace/Kellogg and get a place on the east side of Lake CDA toward Harrison. Two ski areas in Silver and Lookout. Way less on the annoying tourist scale.

• Options
    edited May 2021

But here we are.

@Pawz is our man here.
    It’s all about the amenities. The towns that have them in spades have the most staying power.

My parents bought their house in Park City in 2003 for $400k. Would sell now for over $1.7 million. Park City has amenities coming out the the ying Yang.

And that’s what boggles my mind about Coeur d Alene. Have spent virtually my entire life in the area and, quite honestly, Sandpoint fits the bill better. Bigger lake, more accessible skiing, way less annoying tourists. Solid golfing.

Sherman Ave is cool and tons of dining/bars but see also annoying tourists. I’d pick Sandpoint if I had to live in/near either city.

If one really wanted to get back to authentic, move to Wallace/Kellogg and get a place on the east side of Lake CDA toward Harrison. Two ski areas in Silver and Lookout. Way less on the annoying tourist scale.

You would know better than I; but I can say anecdotally that people view all points north of CDA as Hayden and its old (and real) association with the unsavory skin heads and neos. I think Sandpoint is a little tainted by that with the poser crowd. So the same people who love Bozeman Mt. are going to love CDA because it has the name, and those who ask around about points north are going to get the Hayden effect.

But I agree with you. Lake Pend Oreille is the superior body of water, and but for my affections for the town of CDA itself, it's the one I'd choose. But I like small, quaint, clean and upper class towns as a rule and CDA has that in spades. I'm not aware of another town like it near Pend Oreille; but I admit I haven't explored it that much.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,965
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

But here we are.

@Pawz is our man here.

You would know better than I; but I can say anecdotally that people view all points north of CDA as Hayden and its old (and real) association with the unsavory skin heads and neos. I think Sandpoint is a little tainted by that with the poser crowd. So the same people who love Bozeman Mt. are going to love CDA because it has the name, and those who ask around about points north are going to get the Hayden effect.

But I agree with you. Lake Pend Oreille is the superior body of water, and but for my affections for the town of CDA itself, it's the one I'd choose. But I like small, quaint, clean and upper class towns as a rule and CDA has that in spades. I'm not aware of another town like it near Pend Oreille; but I admit I haven't explored it that much.
    CDA seems to check a lot of the boxes of a great "zoom town" but still seems to fall short in terms of the amenities which the truly great ones- e.g., Park City, Bend/Sun River, Bozeman, Truckee, etc - all have in close proximity. Sand Point has all the outdoor recreation options covered better than CDA but is a bit more of a hike to @Logistics .
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,485
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I live in Hayden, and some Californians rolled up the other day and offered a dude around the corner $700,000 cash for his house. Shit is crazy.
  • Options

But here we are.

@Pawz is our man here.

Had a phone call last week with one of my old homeys who grew up with a summer place on Hayden. We laughed hysterically about the 'skinheads'....all 4 of them. My buddy's place was probably 1/4 mile from their 'compound'. It's not just today's media that blows things up out of proportion. We never saw those clowns. The town got a really bad urban myth rap. Hayden Lake is historically the playground of Spokane's elite - doctors, lawyers and the like. Big money. The area around the Hayden Lake Country Club is affectionately called 'the gold coast'. Hayden is NOT redneck central and never has been. Way back when, the white power nutcases just happened to buy a few acres (not even lakefront...the Aryans sound poor).

Bonners Ferry...oh hell, yeah...that's as redneck as it gets. Spitting distance from Ruby Ridge. But Hayden, oh hell no. That's cardiologists and surgeons and multi-generational wealth there.

We dine in CDA at least a couple times per month at least -there's some cool establishments that have sprung up over the years. It's definitely becoming Bend-esque which has its goods and bads. The Throbber just longs for the old days when Happy Hour in CDA was 8AM to 11AM with the workers coming off graveyard shift at the sawmills.

That and 19 year old drinking. Good tims.

• Options
    edited May 2021

But here we are.

@Pawz is our man here.

Had a phone call last week with one of my old homeys who grew up with a summer place on Hayden. We laughed hysterically about the 'skinheads'....all 4 of them. My buddy's place was probably 1/4 mile from their 'compound'. It's not just today's media that blows things up out of proportion. We never saw those clowns. The town got a really bad urban myth rap. Hayden Lake is historically the playground of Spokane's elite - doctors, lawyers and the like. Big money. The area around the Hayden Lake Country Club is affectionately called 'the gold coast'. Hayden is NOT redneck central and never has been. Way back when, the white power nutcases just happened to buy a few acres (not even lakefront...the Aryans sound poor).

Bonners Ferry...oh hell, yeah...that's as redneck as it gets. Spitting distance from Ruby Ridge. But Hayden, oh hell no. That's cardiologists and surgeons and multi-generational wealth there.

We dine in CDA at least a couple times per month at least -there's some cool establishments that have sprung up over the years. It's definitely becoming Bend-esque which has its goods and bads. The Throbber just longs for the old days when Happy Hour in CDA was 8AM to 11AM with the workers coming off graveyard shift at the sawmills.

Good to know as I continue to toy with the idea of an Idaho retirement. What is lakefront on Hayden go for now?

Also, is the Aryan Nation still there? All 4 of them, or whatever?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

But here we are.

@Pawz is our man here.

Good to know as I continue to toy with the idea of an Idaho retirement. What is lakefront on Hayden go for now?

Also, is the Aryan Nation still there? All 4 of them, or whatever?
    A Lot if you're on the country club side of the lake.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9741-N-Easy-St-Hayden-ID-83835/127139829_zpid/

Less if you're on the other side, which can get a little dicey in the winter as far as access. Here's a lot for sale, secondary view but homes still pricey.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Nka-E-Hayden-Lake-Rd-Hayden-ID-83835/2100928515_zpid/

The bonafide white supremacists (not the media frenzy pretenders of today) are long gone...the only good thing Morris Dees ever did in his life. He bankrupted the Aryan Nations. Not even sure who occupies their 'compound' now. Richard Butler died years ago.

Hayden is like Sammamish. Totally benign. Christ, there's a Panera Bread in Hayden.....

CDA has slightly better deals on lakefront. Pend Oreille, bigger lake, more buildable lots. The days of anything less than$1.5 million to $2 Million on Hayden are long gone.

Damn. I think I had sex in this house (obligatory preemptive 'what was his name' post). The 80's were kinda hazy.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2459-E-Hayden-Lake-Rd-Hayden-ID-83835/113121912_zpid/

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,965
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

But here we are.

@Pawz is our man here.

Essentially ALL tuff former logging and mining camps which are accessible and have great outdoor amenities go the way of Bend. Moab, Park City, Bozeman, Missoula, etc, are all overrun with Cali Fag diaspora (Yella included).

I can think of but one exception to the rule, which is the little mining camp of Ouray, CO. It's a mecca for climbers, jeepers, back country skiers, etc and relatively close to Telluride, but it still has working hard rock mines and unpaved side streets. TUFF.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,532
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

But here we are.

@Pawz is our man here.

Essentially ALL tuff former logging and mining camps which are accessible and have great outdoor amenities go the way of Bend. Moab, Park City, Bozeman, Missoula, etc, are all overrun with Cali Fag diaspora (Yella included).

I can think of but one exception to the rule, which is the little mining camp of Ouray, CO. It's a mecca for climbers, jeepers, back country skiers, etc and relatively close to Telluride, but it still has working hard rock mines and unpaved side streets. TUFF.

Unpaved roads? I am OUT.