Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Club takes on Healthcare - Free Market Style

124»

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,324
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I got myself off of two BP pills because they sucked but mainly because the doctor said I couldn't. Thats our pill pushing culture

Went online and made a plan and executed it over a year or so

Pinot Noir. The final touch

Blood Pressure Superiority Guy.
    Every board has to have one.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Unfortunately none of that deals with the cost of the actual drugs, which is a huge driver in increased costs. One easy, quick solution to that: state that we will pay no more than the average cost of a drug across a basket of similar countries: let's say Canada, the UK and Germany. If you want to charge more for the drug than the average cost across those countries, you can do so but you lose your patent exclusivity. We currently subsidize the rest of the world by paying outrageously high prices compared to similar economies to the point that states are now looking at importing drugs from Canada that were manufactured in the US in the first place.

There's a lot of other waste in the pharmacy/PBM/drug space that could be fixed, but the above is the lowest hanging of fruit.

Solid
    Agreed. I didn’t know that.

I guess I’ll need to revisit my Netflix base of knowledge.
  • Options
    BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Unfortunately none of that deals with the cost of the actual drugs, which is a huge driver in increased costs. One easy, quick solution to that: state that we will pay no more than the average cost of a drug across a basket of similar countries: let's say Canada, the UK and Germany. If you want to charge more for the drug than the average cost across those countries, you can do so but you lose your patent exclusivity. We currently subsidize the rest of the world by paying outrageously high prices compared to similar economies to the point that states are now looking at importing drugs from Canada that were manufactured in the US in the first place.

There's a lot of other waste in the pharmacy/PBM/drug space that could be fixed, but the above is the lowest hanging of fruit.

[We should also stop letting the rest of the world bully our pharma industries as we are essentially subsidizing all medical pharma research for all the "socialized" medical programs of the world.]

Or we could stop letting those countries get free rides on our tax dollar subsidized research. I'm sure we would be accused of imperialism or whatever but research costs are extremely high and have to be recouped somehow. You either get lower costs with less breakthroughs or the inverse. Fuck it, stop giving away generics to the CCP because they have "developing nation" status and charge them a premium for being an adversary.

p.s. there's a reason the most money to be made is in boner pills and it isn't just the demand factor.
    I hate to break it to you but we aren't the only country that funds research. And our costs are outrageous compared to the rest of the developed world. If drug companies raise costs in the rest of the developed world, so be it. We should not be paying more than Germany or Canada for drugs, particularly when we are a 330 million person market.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

[We should also stop letting the rest of the world bully our pharma industries as we are essentially subsidizing all medical pharma research for all the "socialized" medical programs of the world.]

Or we could stop letting those countries get free rides on our tax dollar subsidized research. I'm sure we would be accused of imperialism or whatever but research costs are extremely high and have to be recouped somehow. You either get lower costs with less breakthroughs or the inverse. Fuck it, stop giving away generics to the CCP because they have "developing nation" status and charge them a premium for being an adversary.

p.s. there's a reason the most money to be made is in boner pills and it isn't just the demand factor.
    I hate to break it to you but we aren't the only country that funds research. And our costs are outrageous compared to the rest of the developed world. If drug companies raise costs in the rest of the developed world, so be it. We should not be paying more than Germany or Canada for drugs, particularly when we are a 330 million person market.
    Mr. BUT I CAN READ GRAPHS! isn't as smert as he thinks he is
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2021
    class="Quote" rel="1to392831weretaken">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4rg-DJBd34

I think it's difficult to discuss this because so many people refuse to even entertain the idea that the U.S. healthcare system isn't the gold standard in the world. All they hear is how we get the best care in the world, so changing the system would result in a lower standard of care. I don't understand how anybody could look at the data and come to that conclusion, though:

I've really liked this graph since I saw it in 2011, as it really puts things in perspective, comparing per-capita spending, results (in the form of life expectancy at birth), and number of doctor visits per year. So cost, quantity, quality all on one graph:

Not exactly crushing it in infant mortality, either:

This fun new thing where your poast jumps to the top ahead of a quote is fun times @DerekJohnson.

Anyway. ALE expectancy in developed countries is more related to diet than care. Not to mention drugs and alcohol.

And the US is the worst.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

Mr. BUT I CAN READ GRAPHS! isn't as smert as he thinks he is
    Who let the clownshow in the higher discussion boarde? Go pass Macro 201 and get back to us.