Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I'm on the Spurs Bandwagon

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
I think Spurs or Thunder are winning the title this year. My early money is on the Spurs, provided Tony Parker is healthy. The same team as last year, with a healthier Ginobli, a huge upgrade from Neal to Belinelli, and Patty Mills is one of the most improved players in the league. I'm not just riding Mills because of tonight either, he can ball. The best bench in the league is even better this year and they have the best coach.

Tough to count out the Heat, but I don't see it happening this year. With Lebron, you always have a chance, but the rest of the team is looking dicey. A 3 peat isn't likely.

Comments

• Options
    I'm still picking Miami to three peat. The few teams who did three-peat looked dicey during the regular season.

In the NBA historically the best player on the court wins the titles. So if it isn't Miami it's going to be OKC. I know APAG will bring up 2011 Dallas but they are the exception not the rule and actually in that finals series they did have the best player on the court due to Lebron disappearing.

The Heat is all about Wade's health which is a big mystery. However, with the east being such a fucking dreckfest Spoelstra can manage Wade/Lebron's minutes the rest of the season as they are basically a lock for at worst the #2 seed.

With the East being a dreckfest you can rest Wade the first two rounds of the playoffs. I'm sure Wade will play but he'll sit like a game four when up 3-0 and won't break 35 minutes in any of those contests. So he'll be well rested for the grueling series against the Pacers which will be a war.

While in the West the Spurs if the season ended today would face Phoenix, then Houston-Dallas winner then OKC which is a grind by the time they make it to the finals.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited February 2014
    I have to go with Indiana, there just seems to be something missing with Miami, I'm not sure I'd pick Indiana to beat SA but I think the Thunder have their number. Indiana seems like a team that can get in the Thunder's face and play physical, plus they now have a bona fide superstar in George. If the Thunder can get out and run maybe, but I don't know.
    Indiana also comes across as being more hungry than any other team in the NBA, sorta like the seahawks were.
    I like the spurs but I don't think they get by OKC, I could also see them losing to a team like POR (even though that's highly unlikely)
    this conversation just proves how shit the NBA is. The entire season revolves around 4 teams, cause 4 teams when the season starts have a legit chance at the title. The rest are have nots.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Race thinks you are all stupid.

I'm still saying Mavericks. I am stupid.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

I'm still picking Miami to three peat. The few teams who did three-peat looked dicey during the regular season.

In the NBA historically the best player on the court wins the titles. So if it isn't Miami it's going to be OKC. I know APAG will bring up 2011 Dallas but they are the exception not the rule and actually in that finals series they did have the best player on the court due to Lebron disappearing.

The Heat is all about Wade's health which is a big mystery. However, with the east being such a fucking dreckfest Spoelstra can manage Wade/Lebron's minutes the rest of the season as they are basically a lock for at worst the #2 seed.

With the East being a dreckfest you can rest Wade the first two rounds of the playoffs. I'm sure Wade will play but he'll sit like a game four when up 3-0 and won't break 35 minutes in any of those contests. So he'll be well rested for the grueling series against the Pacers which will be a war.

While in the West the Spurs if the season ended today would face Phoenix, then Houston-Dallas winner then OKC which is a grind by the time they make it to the finals.

Dallas isn't an exception. Dirk was the best player on the court.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I think Spurs or Thunder are winning the title this year. My early money is on the Spurs, provided Tony Parker is healthy. The same team as last year, with a healthier Ginobli, a huge upgrade from Neal to Belinelli, and Patty Mills is one of the most improved players in the league. I'm not just riding Mills because of tonight either, he can ball. The best bench in the league is even better this year and they have the best coach.

Tough to count out the Heat, but I don't see it happening this year. With Lebron, you always have a chance, but the rest of the team is looking dicey. A 3 peat isn't likely.

I have it on good authority that having a Bench will never be a factor in winning a championship.

With that said, I've got OKC over MIA in 6.
  • Options

Ugh if only some people can actually read.

I know APAG will bring up 2011 Dallas but they are the exception not the rule and actually in that finals series they did have the best player on the court due to Lebron disappearing.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Fuck the Spurs, I will never bring myself to root for that boring ass team (Although I do like G-Pop).

My "money" is still on Indiana, sure they have looked a little dicey lately but I think when the playoffs come their defense is going to be the decider which puts them past the Heat in a close series and winning the title.

The west is looking like all Thunder. I could see the Spurs, Clippers, or Rockets if they stay hot beating them similar to how the Grizzlies did last year, but I don't expect that to actually happen.

So I am sticking with Pacers-Thunder and the Pacers in 6.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Clippers and Rockets don't have a chance. The Clippers lost at home to the Spurs without Parker and Leonard. This will be the third year in a row that they have a good regular season, but lose early in the playoffs. They might make it out of the first round. If any team but the Spurs or Thunder have a chance in the west, it's the Warriors. They are my dark horse, but they could also lose in the first round.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Some friends won't watch the NBA bc of the Sonics fiasco but I love watching playoffs in the spring. Great games every night, great entertainment.

OKC and Indiana are the two best teams but both don't have the look of a title team. Indiana is weak at guard and Westbrook for OKC, I'm not sure is a championship point guard. It will be interesting or interesting.
  • Options
    Indiana just feels so much like the Seahawks of the NBA right now. Most consistent team throughout the season, have had some troubles late but it doesn't negate the entire body of work. A young defensive minded team that isn't talked about as much as they should because the franchise as a whole has never done anything relevant.

I am not as confident as I was with the Seahawks winning it all as the season progressed, but I am 81% confident that the team who will win it all will be the Pacers, Heat, or Thunder.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Indiana just feels so much like the Seahawks of the NBA right now. Most consistent team throughout the season, have had some troubles late but it doesn't negate the entire body of work. A young defensive minded team that isn't talked about as much as they should because the franchise as a whole has never done anything relevant.

I am not as confident as I was with the Seahawks winning it all as the season progressed, but I am 81% confident that the team who will win it all will be the Pacers, Heat, or Thunder.

The only thing is the NFL is much more of a team sport whereas the NBA really comes down to who has the best player. Paul George has pushed his way into the top 5 players in the league - I do think you can win a championship with him as your best player. I'm just not sure you can knock off the Heat or Thunder if either of them are healthy and at the top of their games.

With the Seahawks, 22 very good starters > 1 great starter and 21 dudes. The NBA doesn't necessarily work that way.

I hope the Pacers win it. As RiG said, 'twill be interesting.

• Options
    dnc said:

The only thing is the NFL is much more of a team sport whereas the NBA really comes down to who has the best player. Paul George has pushed his way into the top 5 players in the league - I do think you can win a championship with him as your best player. I'm just not sure you can knock off the Heat or Thunder if either of them are healthy and at the top of their games.

With the Seahawks, 22 very good starters > 1 great starter and 21 dudes. The NBA doesn't necessarily work that way.

Lance Stephenson reminds me of the next James Harden. Everyone knows he is good, and some team will pay him a ridiculous amount of money to come and be their "guy". People will scratch their heads and disagree then he will actually perform up to the contract surprising those.

Roy Hibbert is a really underrated Center, one of the better ones in the league.

Paul George is definitely the focal point but I do feel they have a few more complete pieces that could put them over the top.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Lance Stephenson reminds me of the next James Harden. Everyone knows he is good, and some team will pay him a ridiculous amount of money to come and be their "guy". People will scratch their heads and disagree then he will actually perform up to the contract surprising those.

Roy Hibbert is a really underrated Center, one of the better ones in the league.

Paul George is definitely the focal point but I do feel they have a few more complete pieces that could put them over the top.
    I hope you're right. The only thing worse than another Heat championship would be a Thunder title.

• Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

I hope you're right. The only thing worse than another Heat championship would be a Thunder title.

Well they just added Evan Turner by trading Danny Granger who could also be another nice scoring piece.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

dnc said:

Well they just added Evan Turner by trading Danny Granger who could also be another nice scoring piece.
    Very nice move by the Pacers. I like the Pacers over the Heat as well. If anyone can slow LeBron down, it is George and Hibbert. Last year showed the Heat have no answer for Hibbert's size. I think the Heat are noticeably worse than last year, but they will be a tough out.

The reason I like the Spurs over the Pacers (if it gets there) is the abundance of weapons. Every player on the Spurs is a threat to score and they are the best 3 point shooting team in the league.

• Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I don't think the Heat are even trying right now. They are just cruising until the playoffs. They were up 22-4 or something over the Thunder a few weeks ago and then said "ok guys, we're ready to go, turn on cruise control". Helps that they play in such an awful conference.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Heat looked great tonight. Best they have played all season.
  • Options

Heat looked great tonight. Best they have played all season.

You felt that one coming with all these Durant talk you just knew Lebron was going to have a big day.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Ugh if only some people can actually read.

I know APAG will bring up 2011 Dallas but they are the exception not the rule and actually in that finals series they did have the best player on the court due to Lebron disappearing.
    Ugh if only some people can actually write.