Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW Wrestling: When Larry Owings dethroned the King, Dan Gable in NCAA Championship

Comments

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited April 2021
    https://youtu.be/TqMzl8kHdzs?t=212
    Rob Rhone, Lehigh BAMF. (Skip to 3:30)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    https://youtu.be/x1ACS64MslI?t=1087
    Rob Rhone, again, BAMF. Down 14-2 in 3rd round, miraculous comeback win. Skip to 21:07.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2021
    @Fishpo31 and I are older than dirt and remember what a big deal this was in simpler times

First of all Gable was a legend who had never lost and won Olympic gold

There wasn't much else to cover and the provincial Seattle media went wild

Followed it in the PI
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,926
    Founders Club

@Fishpo31 and I are older than dirt and remember what a big deal this was in simpler times

Followed it in the PI
    Phillipine Islands
  • Options

Followed it in the PI
    Owings worked with/for my dad - sort of - a bit after college. I got to meet him once as a youngster. "This guy beat Dan Gable? Who's Dan Gable?" By HS I knew very well who Gable was and found a book about Owings with his picture on the cover, causing me an "Oh, Fuck" moment.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Back in the day, we followed "Sports"...I read the sports pages (and newspaper) front to back, couldn't wait until Friday for Sports Illustrated to come in the mail. "Wide World of Sports" was a must on Saturdays, and the Olympics back-to-front. I knew who the "best" were in every sport, from Chess to Drag Racing, and Dan Gable was the GOAT..."our" guy beat the GOAT...
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

Back in the day, we followed "Sports"...I read the sports pages (and newspaper) front to back, couldn't wait until Friday for Sports Illustrated to come in the mail. "Wide World of Sports" was a must on Saturdays, and the Olympics back-to-front. I knew who the "best" were in every sport, from Chess to Drag Racing, and Dan Gable was the GOAT..."our" guy beat the GOAT...

Blood Brothers

My mom got me a subscription to SI in third grade so I would read something
  • Options
    Gable has written a book, crafted a beer, and been interviewed by Joe Rogan recently.

Still looks great in his 70s, and on his third pair of hips.
  • Options

Fishpo31 said:

Blood Brothers

There was another subscription going around that I preferred in the 70s. My friends dads were big fans.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fishpo31 said:

Blood Brothers

There was another subscription going around that I preferred in the 70s. My friends dads were big fans.
    I always tried to beat mom to the mailbox once a year...If I missed it, I had to conduct an FBI-level investigation to find where she hid it...#cherylteigs
  • Options
    In Gable's Joe Rogan interview, he talks about how he couldn't stand ever exposing his back to the mat.

If you watch Rob Rhone's moves in the vids above, you see a guy completely comfortable exposing his back to the mat to roll his opponent.

Larry Owings was the same way, rolling all over the place but never getting caught out of position.

Great fucking sport. Especially collegiate style wrestling.

Long gone now.

Thanks Title 9.

Fuck you, Meghan Rapinoe.