Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Deathsantis update

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,856
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club

Seems like a logical move to make to protect your home-grown businesses against online retailers. Selling widgets in-person or online, if there's a sales tax it should apply equally to either retailer.

That is not the same debate as whether or not sales taxes are good/bad/fair/unfair.

I get the unequal footing part of that. However, flicking an arbitrary switch on the gubment cash vacuum helps the state first. Realistically, all this is inevitable in the Great SALT Wars of this Republic.
    The state benefits, they literally do nothing to suck in that revenue. I don’t know what the right answer is on all this, can confirm that small/medium business is greatly hurt by having to collect all these taxes.

Bob_C said:

Mixed on this whole sales tax thing. On the surface it’s bad for consumers and good for in state businesses in terms of ability to be competitive in price. Wayfair though is a real headache for businesses operating across multiple states, it’s regressive in terms of business scale in that context. My business went from filing sales tax in about 5 states to 40 overnight, requires headcount, ERP development and/or expensive SaaS to manage. Wasn’t aware that Florida had this pure online loophole, my business collects and remits plenty there despite not having a physical or people presence.

Back to your point, regressive taxes are totally acceptable to leftists in the form of purchasing power and regulation.

Wayfair happened whether people like it or not, so there's really no reason for individual states to not tap into the tax revenue. And yeah, it helps level the playing field for small businesses against giant online retailers. It's a no-brainer policy decision.
    Wayfair helped the states, not the small businesses so much. People shop on Amazon for convenience and logistics more so than price. I just approved a purchase order for $75k for Avalara for the next 12 months of service.

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,834
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Bob_C said:

Seems like a logical move to make to protect your home-grown businesses against online retailers. Selling widgets in-person or online, if there's a sales tax it should apply equally to either retailer.

That is not the same debate as whether or not sales taxes are good/bad/fair/unfair.

I get the unequal footing part of that. However, flicking an arbitrary switch on the gubment cash vacuum helps the state first. Realistically, all this is inevitable in the Great SALT Wars of this Republic.
    The state benefits, they literally do nothing to suck in that revenue. I don’t know what the right answer is on all this, can confirm that small/medium business is greatly hurt by having to collect all these taxes.

Bob_C said:

Mixed on this whole sales tax thing. On the surface it’s bad for consumers and good for in state businesses in terms of ability to be competitive in price. Wayfair though is a real headache for businesses operating across multiple states, it’s regressive in terms of business scale in that context. My business went from filing sales tax in about 5 states to 40 overnight, requires headcount, ERP development and/or expensive SaaS to manage. Wasn’t aware that Florida had this pure online loophole, my business collects and remits plenty there despite not having a physical or people presence.

Back to your point, regressive taxes are totally acceptable to leftists in the form of purchasing power and regulation.

Wayfair happened whether people like it or not, so there's really no reason for individual states to not tap into the tax revenue. And yeah, it helps level the playing field for small businesses against giant online retailers. It's a no-brainer policy decision.
    Wayfair helped the states, not the small businesses so much. People shop on Amazon for convenience and logistics more so than price. I just approved a purchase order for $75k for Avalara for the next 12 months of service.

In today's world the out of state internet companies are conducting business in the state given the size of their economic presence. What sucks is our Congress. They should have an interstate commerce act that there should be one federal filing (on behalf of the states) and that it would have all 50 states with one composite state sales tax rate. The states then would get there cut from the IRS administered program. The seller would have all the addresses for state filing purposes and file quarterly with the feds. But, no one in Congress understands anything, they always assume its simple - like banning internal combustion engines.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Bob_C said:

Bob_C said:

That's a fair point - the cost of compliance is certainly a force working the wrong direction.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,814
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Just so we’re clear, there are now situations where raising taxes is cool and sometimes the free market isn’t enough and the government needs to step in?

You know how I say you guys don’t believe in anything? How you have no ideology? This is it, this is why.

I don’t see this example as raising taxes

What I see is closing a loophole on taxes based on WHERE and HOW you do business

Perhaps I’ve interpreted what has happened here incorrectly ... but this as I see it is just making sure everything is treated equally
    CHRIST
    What exactly do you disagree with?

As I said previously, this is closing a loophole where local businesses that are in traditional brick & mortar's are at a competitive disadvantage to online retailers who are able (apparently under Florida law to date) avoid charging sales taxes on products because their physical location isn't in Florida.

This loophole closing has been common in many states and I'm somewhat surprised that this hasn't been closed in Florida until now.

As others noted, closing loopholes doesn't mean that taxes are good or whatever in general.

The reality is that there's always going to be some level of taxes. Where there's room and reason to debate is how much to tax (aligned to government spending), how/what to tax, and ensuring that the way that taxes are applied is equitable (in other words I'm not for finding ways to tax disproportionately those that can least afford the tax). I'm also not for taxing items because from a government perspective that you're trying to dictate behavior (i.e. the sugar tax in Seattle that isn't applied in any way, shape, or form consistently).
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Just so we’re clear, there are now situations where raising taxes is cool and sometimes the free market isn’t enough and the government needs to step in?

You know how I say you guys don’t believe in anything? How you have no ideology? This is it, this is why.

Only ideologues have ideologies. And ideologues can't be persuaded by facts.

So who the hell wants to be an ideologue? A dummy, that's who.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,572
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Bob_C said:

Bob_C said:

I just finished implementing avalara.

Holy fuck man. The slowest implementation of all time for like a day totals worth of work. Took like 4 months.

Hour long meeting, 10 mins of work. Following week hour long meeting, 10 mins of work.

They have no clue what they are doing. The product itself is fine but God damn it was brutal.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,856
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club

Bob_C said:

Bob_C said:

Holy fuck man. The slowest implementation of all time for like a day totals worth of work. Took like 4 months.

Hour long meeting, 10 mins of work. Following week hour long meeting, 10 mins of work.

They have no clue what they are doing. The product itself is fine but God damn it was brutal.
    Similar experience. They want to make you suffer on implementations as a deterrent to changing out vendors later.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,572
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Bob_C said:

Bob_C said:

Bob_C said:

Similar experience. They want to make you suffer on implementations as a deterrent to changing out vendors later.
    They also like only sold avatax first then when I got involved I'm like wtf we need certcapture dude. That's the main attraction.

So of course you can't do one without the other. They had a meeting on Monday that I joined basically bitching at us for starting the campaign without them lol. I was like I don't give a fuck. I'll let the project lead deal with that.

I just cared about being able to set up new customers from the crm through their api.

Existing ones can go fuck themselves. Now that we're charging tax they can give the damn tax exempt shit that they ignored us asking for for the past year.
  • Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,233
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club