Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Wigwam Weekly, April 16, 2021

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club

This week's featured post comes from non-Wam member @BleachedAnusDawg. He said how he'd just bought some Bitcoin. I made my first foray into Bitcoin two days ago. I have been contemplating it for a few months, and finally pulled the trigger. It wasn't a yuuuuge purchase or anything, but enough to get my feet wet.

The recent trillions of printed stimulus has devalued the dollar. Janet Yellen says there is no inflation, but I can see it cropping up everywhere. The prices for everything have shot upwards in the past 6-8 months.

Like the Bleached One said, you'd have to buy tons of Bitcoin in order to make a lot of money off of it. But I like the idea of getting involved and slowly building up some holdings. Maybe it's little more than psychological reassurance that at least I'm doing something. I agreed with a comment in that thread from @Doog_de_Jour, that I wish I had started with it sooner.

I've read reasoned arguments why the dollar won't implode. And yet, Biden is talking this week about more stimulus. I can't see how the dollar can maintain its value when a seemingly infinite supply is being printed.

In the summer of 1981, I attended a week-long Husky Football camp put on by the Bellevue Boys Club. I was ten years old. There were 8-10 UW football players who led drills and encouraged us kids who loved football. I remember players like Mark Stewart and Fletcher Jenkins being there. As it happened, I was drafted onto Chuck Nelson's team. I was eventually named captain of our squad, which was named Nelson's Nuggets.

I don't remember how our team did. Since I didn't retain that memory maybe we can assume we sucked? I don't know. But it was fun. I got to know Chuck a little bit. I told him how later that year, UW would be playing ASU on my birthday (October 3). I told him how much I hated ASU and therefore it was very important that UW win.

On the morning of October 3rd, I played a football game at 9am at Newport High School. My Bengals team won 13-0. I had six quarterback sacks and 3 fumble recoveries. This might make me sound like a young Stan Emptermamanan, but a big reason I did so well was that Newport's offensive linemen had bizarrely wide stances. They had like three feet of separation between the right guard's right foot and the right tackle's left foot. So I just lined up across from the huge gap and kept shooting through untouched to the QB. (Years later I reminisced about that day to Lincoln Kennedy, and he burst out laughing because it was such a pitiful Al Bundy kind of story).

Anyway, I digress. After my game, my dad and I headed to Husky Stadium. And... the Huskies shit the bed. They lost to ASU 26-7. Completely ruined my day. I wrote a long letter to Chuck Nelson expressing my disappointment but hoping the Dawgs could turn things around. A few days later, an envelope arrived in our mailbox. Chuck had written a long two-page letter, hand-written. He apologized for the Huskies losing to "hated ASU" and promised they would do everything they could to get to the Rose Bowl. Ultimately, Washington did get to the Rose Bowl, beating Iowa 28-0 with freshman Jacque Robinson winning the MVP award.

Chuck and I exchanged one more set of letters after that, then we went many years with no contact. I interviewed him in 2006 while writing my book Husky Football in the Don James Era. That was fun. By that point he had been doing color commentary on the radio alongside Bob Rondeau. I loved listening to them work together.

Three-to-four years later, Chuck was suddenly kicked to the curb by UW, and replaced by Damon Huard. I remember having a conversation with my then-boss Kim Grinolds at Dawgman.com. I was saying how I couldn't believe they would give Chuck the ax. Kim said, "The change needed to be made. Rondeau and Nelson were getting stale. Damon Huard will do an excellent job."

I called Chuck and we talked for a few minutes. I told him I thought the whole thing was "horseshit". He laughed and said "I haven't heard it phrased quite like that anywhere else."

Anyway, I haven't spoken to Chuck since that time. The letters he wrote me in 1981-82 and the pics from Husky Football Camp are lost to the sands of time, unfortunately.

But I've still got some memories.

Before I conclude, I must say how when I Googled "Chuck Nelson Huskies", one of the top images to show up was some ridiculous gif made by a Hardcore Husky poster of Chuck missing the field goal against CUOG that would have sent UW to the 1983 Rose Bowl.

Since @YellowSnow and @PurpleThrobber omitted all Bollywood and K-Drama actresses from their ongoing poll for Hottest Actress, Stalin the Social Justice Warrior will feature Seo Ye-Ji in this edition of Babe of the Week.

Comments