Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Prices of Everything Is Going UP - Value of Everything Is Going DOWN (Peter Schiff)

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,772
    Inflation is here, folks.

Getting slaughtered on a construction job right now. Lumber prices are cray cray.

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Getting slaughtered on a construction job right now. Lumber prices are cray cray.

Haha lumber
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

These are not the droids you are looking for...

Goberment said inflation is 2% or less. They would never lie to me. Sounds like you need to substitute a shitty metal shed or used mobile home for whatever your are building...after all doesn’t everyone just substitute like that when prices change?

• Options
    FireCohen said:

Haha lumber
    Or, like we say......

WOOD!

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    I believe in the inflation game guysms.

But trust me: wood is going up (lolz) because of demand.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,450
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    The value of guns and ammo is not going down.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Supply chain disruptions/increased demand do not equal inflation. Not that it isn’t happening, but it’s a poor example
  • Options

I bought a cedar gazebo from Costco yesterday at 5 am. They had it in their sale that started that day. Checked back a little after Noon and they were sold out. Not a HUGE ticket item, but not cheap, either. Too much funny money floating around right now. Roaring 20's all over again? What were the 1820's like, @RaceBannon ?

I wouldn’t say it’s funny money as much as it’s unused summer 2020 vacation funds/money saved not eating out/going to bars/going to sporting events burning a hole in people’s pockets
  • Options

I bought a cedar gazebo from Costco yesterday at 5 am. They had it in their sale that started that day. Checked back a little after Noon and they were sold out. Not a HUGE ticket item, but not cheap, either. Too much funny money floating around right now. Roaring 20's all over again? What were the 1820's like, @RaceBannon ?

That Costco gazebo is amazing. Eyed the shit out of it - $1499/$1599, I don't recall. But, alas, high priced wood means no gazebo for the palatial lodge.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    ntxduck said:

I wouldn’t say it’s funny money as much as it’s unused summer 2020 vacation funds/money saved not eating out/going to bars/going to sporting events burning a hole in people’s pockets
    You don't think it's the stimulus money / extra child credits? You are more optimistic than I.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

That Costco gazebo is amazing. Eyed the shit out of it - $1499/$1599, I don't recall. But, alas, high priced wood means no gazebo for the palatial lodge.

Yeah the 12'x16' one was $1799. Considering wood costs, surprisingly not too much higher than it was last year. I think the 12'x14' last year that I almost bought was $1499.
  • Options

ntxduck said:

You don't think it's the stimulus money / extra child credits? You are more optimistic than I.
    Maybe partially. But I think the forced out of necessity habits of last year contribute more. I spent basically nothing on gas/entertainment/travel in 2020. When in a normal year that bucket would be filled with 10+ stimulus payments
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Maybe partially. But I think the forced out of necessity habits of last year contribute more. I spent basically nothing on gas/entertainment/travel in 2020. When in a normal year that bucket would be filled with 10+ stimulus payments
    EVERYTHING.gif.

@GrundleStiltzkin
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,786
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    could be pent up demand since we had to shut the whole world down for the deadliest virus ever
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2021

Inflation isn't causing lumber price increases. It's a combination of Canadian lumber tariffs, increased logging restrictions, record increase in new home construction, and people using stimulus money on home improvements instead of vacations. Demand >>> Supply
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Inflation isn't causing lumber price increases. It's a combination of Canadian lumber tariffs, increased logging restrictions, record increase in new home construction, and people using stimulus money on home improvements instead of vacations. Demand >>> Supply
    Ummmm...that kinda is the definition of inflation. I guess you can argue it’s unique to lumber because of specific reasons but I’d argue if you’ve gone to the grocery store you’ve seen the same thing. Hell, I’d argue with oil demand down I’m still trying to figure out why WTI is 20% higher today than it was for most of 2019...
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

But it's an abnormal demand, i.e., a Panic. And that ain't good for anyone.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Poors gonna poor.