Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Like living in Chicom China during the Cultural Revolution

WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,009
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Standard Supporter
In related news, Mel Blanc has posthumously apologized for voicing Bugs Bunny. It was definitely a stereotyped slur of wabbits.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/hank-azaria-apologizes-to-every-indian-for-voicing-apu-the-character-is-practically-a-slur

Hank Azaria once again apologized for being the man behind “The Simpsons” character Apu, despite spending decades voicing the character...

“I was speaking at my son’s school, I was talking to the Indian kids there because I wanted to get their input,” Azaria said, as reported by The Hollywood Reporter. “A 17-year-old … he’s never even seen The Simpsons but knows what Apu means. It’s practically a slur at this point. All he knows is that is how his people are thought of and represented to many people in this country.”

It should be noted that Apu was never presented as a dumb Indian immigrant who runs the Kwik-E-Mart. In fact, multiple episodes spent time developing his complexity as a character throughout the show’s near three-decade run. Contrary to his perception, he holds a Ph.D. in computer science, graduated from the top of his class at “Caltech” (Calcutta Technical Institute), and only runs the Kwik-E-Mart because of the joy it brings him to spend time with friends and customers.

Comments