Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Haie is Colin Cowherd

Comments

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Chad and TJ along with Robert Prescott; GOAT OSU Receiving Corps

That team was actually natty caliber
    Who was their QB?

LOL

@Babushka
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    FireCohen said:

That team was actually natty caliber
    Who was their QB?

LOL

@Babushka
    If babushka was our QB in 2016 we have better game against bamer and beat USC
    Depends on what failure that means would have been OC in his place. But yes QB would have been upgraded.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,701
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Wait, Edelman is being seriously considered for the HOF? What?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Only by a few idiots in the media and massholes on Twitter.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,701
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

I mean if you are a run of the mill possession receiver who averages 75 receptions a year for 800 yards and 4 TDs/year with peaks of 105 catches, 1117 yards, and 7 TDs you'd have to be truly exceptional in the playoffs to make the HOF.

Edelman's playoff stats normalized for 16 game season: 99 catches for 1,214 yards and 4.2 TDs.

That's not HOF worthy if he put up those stats for his entire career.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,136
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

FireCohen said:

Someone pull the stats for Edelman vs Ochocinco in playoff games

Some players become transcendent when the stage is the biggest and I value that more than regular season stat padding

Stay butthurt though

By that logic, fucking joe flaco is better than Dan Marino
    If Flacco had one more run like he had in 2012 he would be better than Marino
    Well this helps clarify for everyone that your opinion is dogshit.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,136
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

No, it's just a manufactured story. Media asks "Is Edelman actually a serious HOF contender???" and then proceeds to waste everyone's time diving into why he's not while a few token idiots play devil's advocate. And then profit.

Torry Holt and Andre Johnson aren't even in the hall. That should say all you need to know about Edelman's odds.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

I mean if you are a run of the mill possession receiver who averages 75 receptions a year for 800 yards and 4 TDs/year with peaks of 105 catches, 1117 yards, and 7 TDs you'd have to be truly exceptional in the playoffs to make the HOF.

Edelman's playoff stats normalized for 16 game season: 99 catches for 1,214 yards and 4.2 TDs.

That's not HOF worthy if he put up those stats for his entire career.
    Too much logic bruh
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,459
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

FireCohen said:

Some players become transcendent when the stage is the biggest and I value that more than regular season stat padding

Stay butthurt though

By that logic, fucking joe flaco is better than Dan Marino
    If Flacco had one more run like he had in 2012 he would be better than Marino
    Well this helps clarify for everyone that your opinion is dogshit.
    Kill yourself

Great opinion IMO
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,459
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    For the record neither receiver is HOF material
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,986
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

Stay butthurt though

I'm not at all butthurt.

I do enjoy fucking with you though.

Okay, so you're saying that PGOS is butthurt.

Thanks, that makes sense.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,305
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I found out once again yesterday that there are a bunch of 21st century wideouts not in the Hall. When Edleman came up the list came out. The voters don't respect the stats like they used to because the game changed.

This is the classic what is the fame in the Hall of Fame mean? Chad was famous for being Chad and has the stats. He was also a Patriot at one time

Edleman is famous for being there in the biggest games

Quite honestly I don't have a problem with either

Neither belong in the Hall.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Ochocinco and Edelman are difficult to compare. Ochocinco played WR, whereas Edelman played

Jewish WR, a very different position few teams employ.

My initial thought was that the only reason to say that Edelman is better than Ocho is that same reason that DJDuck prefers Brady Breeze to Jevon Holland.

If we’re doing race stuff: Edelman would win.

If it’s a 40 yard race, at least. He had the faster time.

Neither is a Hall-of-Fame player. Statistically it’s not even close. Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne, Torry Holt, and Jimmy Smith are the eligible WRs who should be offended that these guys are even mentioned in the same sentence with the HOF.

As far as career accomplishments outside of just regular season stats, Edelman is... maybe a Hall of Famer? I didn’t believe that when I started writing the last paragraph but it’s actually plausible. I was just looking up the stats to give a nod to his playoff accomplishments, but now I’m kind of impressed.

He’s fifth in playoff games played by a WR but second receiving in yards to Jerry Rice. Rice? 77 receiving yards per game. Edelman is at 76. 85 if you don’t count two games from early in his career when he wasn’t targeted.

Playoff all purpose yards has Edelman as one of only four players with over 2,000, and all of the players in the top-8 are in the Hall.

Super Bowl MVP has been given to randos, being around Brady and getting three rings is like 1.5 with a non Brady QB. Then again - HOF WRs were catching passes in the playoffs from Steve Young, Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, etc. Edelman did dominate in the 2018/19 playoffs despite not catching a TD. He was also the same age as Ochocinco at the end not his career where he was a husk of himself playing for the Pats.

The stat that really surprised me is that the more Brady targeted Edelman the more likely New England would win. Especially in the playoffs. You throw to Edelman 8 more times and winning % goes up. His target to catch ratio is also elite.

This leaves me with three questions:
    1. At what point do postseason accomplishments become important enough on their own?
    2. How much do we discount a player because he’s part of a dynasty? Old Tyme Packers, 70s Raiders, 80s/90s 49ers, 90s Cowboys don’t seem as penalized. Edelman is nothing without Brady, but did he make Brady and Gronk look better?
    3. Why the fuck is Hines Ward not in the Hall of Fame? Is it because he’s one of the dirtiest players ever? Have we not stopped Asian hate good enough yet? Statistically he’s a HOF player, playoff performer, and he could block for run the damn ball purposes to satisfy even the doogiest Haie types.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,292
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Chad Johnson wouldn't block, but he also was not soft.

He also probably never let a little Cal db outwork him for a jump ball.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

@CFetters_Nacho_Lover Prescott went to Kennedy.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Edelman made big, clutch plays in big games. That matters and can’t be overlooked. Chad Johnson was great and the better overall player. I’m having a hard time choosing.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,597
    Founders Club
    I wish I had the last two minutes of my life back